What's your disk Defragmenter?

Discussion in 'polls' started by sweater, Feb 23, 2007.

?

What is your disk Defragmenter

1. 1.AusLogic Disk Defrag

34 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. 2.Windows built-in defragmenter

74 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. 3.Diskeeper Lite

9 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. 4.Diskeeper Home/Pro

58 vote(s)
    14.7%
  5. 5.DirMs

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  6. 6.DirMs and Buzzsaw

4 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. 7.PerfectDisk

117 vote(s)
    29.7%
  8. 8.Power Defragmenter GUI with contig.exe

18 vote(s)
    4.6%
  9. 9.O&O Defrag Pro

39 vote(s)
    9.9%
  10. 10.PC Mesh Defrag for Windows

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 11.DiskTrix UltimateDefrag

27 vote(s)
    6.9%
  12. 12.JKDefrag

35 vote(s)
    8.9%
  13. 13.Abexo Disk Defragmenter Lite/Pro/Plus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. 14.Norton Disk Defragmenter

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  15. 15.Mst Defrag

9 vote(s)
    2.3%
  16. 16.Fast Defrag Professional

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. 17.Ashampoo Magical Defrag

4 vote(s)
    1.0%
  18. 18.MindSoft Defrag

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  19. 19.SpeeDefrag

2 vote(s)
    0.5%
  20. 20.Power Defrag

3 vote(s)
    0.8%
  21. 20.others?.specify

25 vote(s)
    6.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

So many people use defraggers, but I've read they are not as necessary or useful with NTFS as they are with FAT32. And as I've mentioned, I don't notice any performance improvement (although others say they definitely do). That's why I thought the only way to convince myself would be to perform some benchmark test to find the truth. o_O

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Jo Ann,

It's true that defragging is less important for NTFS formatted disks/partitions than it is for FAT32. In addition, the benefit of "intelligent" defragging, as carried out by Perfect Disk or Disk Keeper, doesn't really become apparent until the disk/partition is more than half full.

Regards

3. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Thank you for confirming what I read elsewhere. I purchased UltimateDefrag and I've been using it once/week (although I use my computer 'heavily' every day). Based on your feedback, I think once/month may be good enough.

4. Mudd

Mudd Registered Member

I use IO BIT Smart Defrag. I think it has been re-worked to be compatible with Vista which I run. It runs on it's on. Seems OK to me.

5. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Defragging isn't important to me. I improve the performance of my I/O subsystem with Intel Matrix RAID and smart partitioning.
    Manual defragging with PageDefrag + contig + RejZoR's Power Defragmenter GUI is all I'll ever need.

6. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

No. 2 :rolleyes: :D

snowbound

7. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi twl845:

After the help you gave me I owe you the outcome.

Today I bought PD 8 with a 35% discount! I pleaded poverty and as I was also trialing Dk they "gave" me the 35%. I don't like paying for 1 year support but that is my only complaint

I have done the off line defrags but can't tell if bootup is faster. I don't care about bootup time as I'm retired and never in that much of a rush:D

Have you learned any PD tricks or warnings?

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Escalader, I'm glad to hear you're happy with PD! Nice discount. I got it too. That pays for the 1 year support. I don't mind paying for the great support at PD. I set up an automatic defrag at 2 week intervals, and the first one is 5/1 at 1PM. I'll be sitting here watching for it to happen. I've only done 1 other defrag since I did the initial one, since it takes longer to get fragmented. I didn't really need a defrag the second time, I just wanted to see it work. :D

9. Escalader

My experience with it is all good, I have done more defrags using the forced defrag entire drive option. This is even though the analysis says not required.

I found the more defrags you do the faster they are and the snappier the PC seems! Let me know how the automatic works today and I'll set one up as well. But based on my trial I'm going to defrag more frequently. Heck if you did it daily it is simulating DK!:D

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Escalader, My PD executed its scheduled defrag on time, and it took 19 minutes to do 70GB HD. It found my free space fragmented 20% and defragged that too. I'll keep it at every 2 weeks for now to see what it does next time. :cool:

11. Escalader

Great! I'll have to time mine and report back. What type of defrag did you do I guess it must have been the whole drive! Mine is 145GB but I'm sure it took less time! A puzzel for now but many other factors play RAM, RPM's GHZ etc etc.

Do you do yours while connected to the internet with all other security software working at the same time? I only ask because I don't do it that way. I unhook, close all software, run CCleaner and then run PD8.

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I do the whole drive. I have broadband so technically I'm always on. I shut off my spyware and mailwasher, but left the AV and firewall on. Don't forget this is an automatic defrag that starts up usually when you're not sitting there setting it up.
    A little something off topic: Go to the FirstDefense-ISR forum and check it out. I installed it and it's great software.

13. Escalader

Can't afford the time, I active in another thread right now on How to set Optimum Settings for ZA Pro.

I'll try to remember your idea to check 1st defense out:doubt:

14. MysteriousWorlds

MysteriousWorlds Registered Member

Don't want to milk off a holy cow.
    I understand that everyone's here got his defragging fave.

Still, I do not get it why defragging should be a thing one would have to pay for.
    In reality, it should be a thingy implemented into any serious OS.

And, of course, there is a simple defrag function integrated in MS Windows.

Does it work? Seems so.
    Is it good? Most of you will say: nahh...

And I think they're more or less right with that assumption...

Still, there are fine free proggies out there who are able to keep up with the heavy-laden, pay-a-lot'n get some fine GUI popup versions that rule the market.

IMHO, permanent defragging will only shorten your hard disk's lifetime.
    Weekly, or, in some case, monthly (i.e. on-demand) defragging will make more sense and keep your kitchen healthy.

Because NO ONE (if I'm not going wrong) has mentioned it before:

I recommend the following excellent (and free) program to defrag your disks.
    It offers three algorithms to do so.

http://www.withopf.com/

The tool is "Made in Germany" and only 103 kb.....(!?!)

It doesn't even require an install.

it's a ZIP
    you can run it from external media.

If you are still using XP and not Vista, I bet it's the best tool around for free to extensively defrag your rotten machine.

~Removed direct download link - Ron~

I am really more than glad with this tiny little defrag demon ~Off topic comment removed - Ron~

as a daily SUPERFICIAL defrag tool, i recommend the already mentioned Auslogics Defrag.

Still, if you want it thorough, try http://www.withopf.com/

cause it even works in safe mode.

One of my fave tools.

Have a fine beer.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2007
  15. MysteriousWorlds

Hope this helps

16. MysteriousWorlds

I'd really like to know what you think about this great mini prog.
    Even if I never had any contact with the programmer,
    I think it's one of them little masterpieces.

17. MysteriousWorlds

Beware, of course, if you want a superficial fast thingie, this one is totally thorough. It will sort it all out, especially if run in safe mode.
    You'll get a new, fast and clean plantation after that.
    But it's my honest opinion it's worth it, more then the minute by minute schlabber weasels..
    if you know what i mean. If not, ask your doc?

Say no to ever running TASKS!

18. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello MysteriousWorlds,

Give everyone time to see your posts.

Also, avoid posting direct download links to software and use the url of the homepage instead.

Your cooperation will be appreciated.

19. MysteriousWorlds

20. Relemar

Relemar Registered Member

Don't use them, no need really does nothing ;) Get some Registry Mechanic and jv6 powertools and your sorted, defragging trashed my HDD. Had to buy a new one, I think this was the cause, over defragging!

21. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I think over defraging is a bit of an urban myth. I suppose if I was still running my old IBM with its 60 meg hard drive it might have failed by now. Over 17 years with numerous pcs ( currently running 7 machines) I have never lost a hard drive.

I have PD set to run every night when I am busy elsewhere. It takes a couple of minutes per partition and is no trouble at all.

22. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

WoW! Thats the first i heard of that one, but then again when it comes to Windows systems and some softwares anything with that potential is possible more often than not, and softwares have been known to burn hardware more than once, so you really have to give heed to only the most tested and proven one's and even then it can be a toss up whether your Model of computer will take the heat or not.

23. fmanness

fmanness Registered Member

Tipically a question for Windows users!!! First, using Linux does not get this problem.... Second, I personally use a Mac and find iDefrag very useful.

24. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Well you do have a point, but most of us are hopelessly confined to $M brand of system.

I used to Defrag almost daily with Contig/PowerDefrag and although it does nothing for strategic file placement it helped step up my PC's response enough to notice.

Now that we have Super-Defrags like UD, PD, DK and others like them, i've backed off significantly in defragging since the added benefits of file placement strategy lasts longer and foregoes my need to defrag so often even though i pummel my system daily with all sorts of shuffling folders/programs etc..

25. toasale

toasale Registered Member

If you've tried the big names, how could you not choose PD?

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.