What's with this display?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by eniqmah, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

Is this just something in my browser settings?

Things are distorted on SOME pages, not every page, and on in FF, not IE>

Any one experienced this? Whats the cause and solution? Thanks for your input.

Attached Files:

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

it looks like normal rendering problems, but it could be you have chosen to use your font settings on all pages instead of using the site's font settings; maybe you have picked a minimum font size and the site uses something smaller o_O

3. eniqmah

hI,
    I checked that in the settings. That does not seem to be the case because my browser does use a larger font, but allows sites to use their own.

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

While your there, I need a dvd burner :D . Seriously, I clicked about a dozen pages at newegg with FF 2.0.0.4 and couldn't duplicate. You did mean FF was the one having the problem right?

5. eniqmah

yeah.
    What's meant by FF not able to duplicate?

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

as well as the setting allowing sites to use their fonts, there's also an option to set a global minimum font sizes AFAIK

i had a look, there are two places that will change the fonts sizes i think. i took a screenshot.

Attached Files:

7. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Sorry enigmah, I meant I wasn't able to see the problems that you are seeing at the newegg site when I was running FireFox.

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

In View > Character Encoding, which one is selected?

I use Unicode and Newegg.com shows fine.

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

99.9999% of pages displaying badly means designer mistake, not a FF glitch. If you want a good example, go to my site and open some pages in IE and FF. You'll see a huge difference. That's because I refuse to use any IE hacks in my code and use only W3C compliant code. No matter how ugly it looks.

But most designers simply succumb to the pressure and create their site to suit the MS non-compliant crap - and that's why you get to see some funny and sad stuff in other browsers.

Mrk

P.S. The site looks ok, so what you done, dear?

10. eniqmah

Hello,
    Thanks for replying.
    There must be some kind of overlooked setting because my display and resolution@ 20.1"+1680x1050 are pretty standard. Other machines of the same spec do not exhibit this type of problem. I'll ask over at the mozilla forums. Thanks for checking it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.