What's with the Vista look?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by DasFox, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Anyone paying attention to how the application looks like something MS made for Vista? LOL :rolleyes:

What's with all the Vista looking apps, can't we have some originality?

Personally I run XP, and don't even like Vista, and many people don't run Vista either, but at least as a software developer bring some originality, after all software design is art.

Now did v2 look like XP? No.... So why now does everyone have to start making apps that look like MS made them? I don't know, but I do know that someone at the creativity helm is a sleep. :(

Personally I get sick of looking at all the Vista wannabe looking applications, looks like some sort of cult reverence to the MS Gods or something, LOL. :blink:

Let's be original shall we? :thumb:

2. sparx

sparx Registered Member

A standardized appearance minimalizes confusion among the less-technically inclined. It's not so much about comforming to a standard look out of "reverence" as it is for ease of use and accessibility.

3. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Yes I know, so they say, but that's a lame excuse of developers. :(

There's nothing confusing on clicking on an application, one over another, as long as the GUI is laid out in a friendly way.

Graphical eye candy has nothing to do with user friendliness... :D

NOD32 could of been made to look just the way it is, and give it different colors, and icons, that's all, and it would of been just as easy to use, if it wasn't given the Vista look either. :)

Anyhow, like I said before, Graphical eye candy has nothing to do with, it's the quality of the GUI layout that counts, not the colors... :cool:

There was nothing wrong with version 2 before, they should of just integrated it into one window instead of the split windows, and tightened it up a bit, and even changed the colors and look in that, and it would of been fresh looking yet retaining the NOD32 image.

Now instead it's like having another Vista clone application, quite depressing really. :thumbd:

4. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Sucks to be you, then. I think v3 has the best UI among the current AV apps out there, with Symantec coming a close second. :thumb:

5. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I guess you don't get the fact that there is nothing original about it...

I look at it this way just like developers do, ---> Functionality!

But what does that mean?

Well it means many things, but generally speaking, it's about the same issues, creating software that works, and the cosmetics with some might take a higher precedence, depending on if they feel glam is needed to boost the image or sales, etc., etc...

And then on occasion a developer wants to show off their creative side, and put their artistic touch on it, after all there is an artistic side to software too, and that was a bit of an area I was more referring to.

Eset before, had more of it's own look/image with NOD32, now it just looks like another clone piece of software marked for Vista, with no real identity for individual branding.

I don't know about you, but when you've sat in front of a PC 60-70 hours a week clicking through things, sometimes a little variety makes life more bearable behind the screen, breaks up the monotony, and if you don't think so, then pick out some really drab looking colors that you don't like, put them in a wallpaper, and keep it on your desktop for 70 hours, and tell us how you feel at the end of the week, because if you don't think that looks, shapes, and colors affect us in anyway, then you're mistaken.

Sorry didn't mean to sound harsh, rude, or any of the above, I'm just making a point is all. :)

PEACE

6. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

Hello,

Will the Eset always be of doors opened for suggestions who knows his suggestion is not meditated? It does not cost anything to try to express his opinion on the graphic aspect of his new products.

I think that for example in spite of liking the new GUI I would like seeing in vectorial design ... for example the splahscreen could be drawn in vector, the products could be more interactive in terms of vectorial appearance or in pixel art .... that was able to leave someone open-mouthed but perhaps be easier a design does aero glass.

support[at]eset[dot]com :D :D :D :D :D :cool: :cool: :cool:

Peace

7. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

I guess you don't get the fact that I like the new v3 colors.

Ofc, you're entitled to your opinions, I'm just chiming in with mine that the UI made a nice step towards the right direction - at least as far as I'm concerned.

8. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Sorry for any misunderstanding, it's new as far as a new look for NOD32, not new in the fact that this is a Vista color scheme is what I mean. :D

9. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Also I just found an unnecessary scrollbar:

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8982/21942617na5.jpg

I did not resize NOD32, this screen shot shows it at the default size, yet when you go to the Antivirus, Antispyware section you get a scroll bar in the window which shouldn't be there, because there is no information below, or above to warrant the need for scrolling.

Of course if someone wants to make the GUI smaller there is a need for this, I'm simply pointing out for the default size it opens to the scroll bar shouldn't be appearing until someone makes the window smaller, that's all. :)

10. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you mind it, resize the window a bit. It's currently technically impossible to remove the scroll bar displayed with default size set.

11. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

So those who has Vista, ESS doesn't look out of place?

Could be worse - could have the AVAST Home Edition radio style screen - yuk

12. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Sure, but I don't get why don't the DEV team just make the application a fixed size, what's wrong with doing that?

Personally I think making the application a fixed size eliminates issues like this...

13. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Another thing I just noticed, if you move NOD32 and place it anywhere on your desktop, then close the app, hit X, to have it minimized to your task tray, now when you click to open it up from the task tray, it should center itself on the desktop, but instead it opens up in the last location it was located on the desktop. :(

This is the first piece of software I've personally used that worked this way, and if I'm not mistaken, didn't v2 go back to center?

Sometimes you might move a window around to look at other things, but then when you minimize it, and reopen it's nice to have it center to the desktop again.

14. Marcos

It would be totally unusable then. For instance, when viewing logs it'd be very cumbersome to read it at the default size. Common users might not need to resize the window, but for advanced users and administrators this would be one of the worst things if they couldn't view logs in a convenient way. Having said that, I'm closing discussion on this topic.

15. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Ahh for the logs, my bad, yes, good point. :D

Ok my bad I see how to get the window back to default --> 'User Interface' - 'Reset window layout'

But it would certainly make the GUI look more professional if the scroll bar was removed from the "Antivirus and antispyware protection" section. :)

16. Marcos

We are fully aware of this, unfortunately, it's technically impossible to remove it at this point.

17. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Didn't your mother ever teach you nothing is impossible? :D

THANKS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.