What's With Acronis?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mike_wells, Jul 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noonie

noonie Registered Member

Perhaps my rhetoric has something to do with your rhetoric: something about poor response and not willing to buy another needless update. Does that ring a little bell?? I have paid for my use of TI just as everyone else here has. I have been very happy with it in the past. This program can have disasterous effects if it fails and for me it has. Just last week I lost a 120gig drive and a verified Ti image on dvd also failed to restore it. Had I not used other image software as well, I would have been at a total loss, so commenting on using something else in my case in addition to Ti proved rather prudent, and in light of this, using a third method would be even more safe. It is clear from posts in these forums that TI is not problem free, although this is the first time it has failed for me. The purpose of these forums as I understand it, is for users to solve problems and share ideas with each other pertaining to Acronis hopefully helping each other and this does include views other than yours alone. I'm sure the people at Acronis are humble enough to take some constructive critisim and if by enough customers, perhaps to improve their product and service.

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, noonie

If you take your time to read all the posts, that is what Acronis has and is doing.

I read about many other Imaging software products here but these do not have a support forums of their own, WHY, it it because they are afraid of people seeing the problems in their software.

And if you find a forum of other Imaging software and was to mention how good you found Acronis TrueImage you would be booted out right away is my guess.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. C.Hall

C.Hall Registered Member

My appologies to the original poster of this thread, for the following. But you have opened up a can of worms!

I don't know if Acronis is a fine company or not. My experience says not.

I have comunicated with Acronis Technical support between 22nd April and 6th July regarding the lack of access to a 2 system network using the ATI boot disk. I am sorry to say, I have given up. The response I got was a minimum reply time of about a week, and that was the exception rather than the rule. In the process, I was pursuaded to purchase an upgrade from v6 to v7 on the suggestion that it would solve my problem. It didn't. I felt that I was debugging the software for them.

I agree whole heartedly with the above comments that it would have been better if Acronis had corrected the problems on versions 6 & 7 before releasing v8. V8 is almost certainly going to have some problems.

I think that the worse thing about my experience is that I have lost the necessary confidence that a product of this type demands. After all, we live in an age where we expect a major piece of application software to run without incident, and I can't help seeing TI as a beta version.

I hope that Acronis take note of all the comments and do something urgently to stabalise this product.

Regards
    Chris

4. mike_wells

mike_wells Registered Member

noonie,

Begging your pardon! "Your" rhetoric has NOTHING to do with "mine"! I was pointing out a serious support issue with Acronis. You were pointing out that you were going over to the "other side". And, so be it. Those of us who know what TI (and other Acronis products) can do and will do, will remain loyal and get the job done no matter what it takes! You, on the other hand will most likely be much better off with whatever you find that works for you at the moment! As for your loss, I would be guessing that you and you alone are the only one that has ever endured that!

Mike

5. mike_wells

C.Hall,

Win XP (full version) has a retail box price of $279.95, TI on the other hand goes for $49.95. XP has a multi, multi billion dollar company behind it. TI does not. XP has more "holes" in it than Win2K did, and for all practical purposes it is 2K (how do we account for that?). My point is that no piece of complex software is ever 100% perfect.

I originally started this thread in hopes of getting the attention of someone high up on the food chain at Acronis. I have had my share of issues but have remained steadfast and worked through them (and yes, I too have waited endless days for a response and even then sometimes the response was just something to placate me).

IMO, when TI works, there is nothing better out there and I, like you, wish Acronis would settle in and "fine-tune" what they already have. But, you see, it's really all about the $, and seeing as the new release of Ghost was about to hit I guess Acronis panicked!

I too have lost some confidence in the images I create and now check each and every one of them. The confidence is slowly returning even though I still have 1 outstanding issue with TI.

I have been around an awful long time and if there was something better or maybe even close to TI I might go there. Bottom line, there is not, so I will do what I gotta do to keep it going!

Mike *puppy*

Last edited: Aug 3, 2004
  6. TheQuest

Hi, C.Hall

Been reading about your problem with No network access with ATI boot.

Have you tried the latest Build of Ti7 #627, to see if it helps.

If not may be mike_wells can help, I wished I could but I have only a little knowledge of networking.

Take Care,

7. mike_wells

Thanks for the vote of confidence "The Quest" but I do not think I can fill those shoes! Have not done any serious networking for 8-9 years. Just home stuff. I will look at the thread anyway (if I can find it), just in case!

Mike *puppy*

Edit:
    Looked at the thread and to be honest have not done one thing with TI outside of local machine so I won't be of any use here. The original problem stems back to May and I would hope Acronis has resolved it by now!

Edit2:
    Reread Chris's reply and noted that the issue had not been resolved! Wish I could shed some light but unfortunately I can not in this case.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2004
  8. TheQuest

Hi, C.Hall

See if this link is of any use:- #6

Take Care,

9. mecalvint

mecalvint Registered Member

C, Hall
    I have used TI 7 from the first bld on a network with mixed success.

Here are some notes:
    (scenario: you have source-A, and you boot to CD on client-B)

1. Make sure you have file-sharing and TCP/IP running on source-A
    2. Make sure source-A has entries for client-B in its HOSTS and LMHOSTS files.
    3. Shares on source-A should be less than 12chars.
    4. Shares on source-A should be Everyone-allowed.
    5. Don't share drives, instead share folders. For example, if you share C:, very difficult to see the drive, instead share the exact folder of the images.
    6. On client-B, at eth0 network options, only enter the IP address and subnet mask, but nothing else. I have a legit gateway and DNS server, but entering those actually caused problems.
    7. On entering the IP address, enter one that source-A knows about (i.e in its HOSTS and LMHOSTS files)
    8. The network info is a one boot deal. If you need to change the info in eth0 such as IP address or even if you want to see new shares on source-A, forget it. Reboot client-B everytime you need to change a network setting.

TI is the RELATIVELY the best solution for network imaging. One CD does it all. Just wish that the bugs were not there.

Good luck.

10. Kahlua Kid

Kahlua Kid Registered Member

Well there you are Mr Gromov !!

I just got TI7 five weeks ago after seeing it recommended on a 'personal' type hints & tips website.

It is just what I have been looking for, powerful and simple.

It does everything I want it to do without demanding too much from me.

OOPS !!!! Suddenly there is TI8, I look at what is new and go WHAT !! I just bought this and now............ I agree with the 'it should be V7.1' view.

I got the emails.... buy this at a discount etc.......... nothing about upgrades to the current version.

I've been building/formatting PC's since the Apple II, specifying and beta testing inhouse apps to/for R & D/Sales etc., technical sales support, sales, blah blah. I know the score !!
    I have had no technical problems with the software but as others have implied it would seem Acronis are 'extracting the Michael' as we say in the UK.

I notice Mr Gromov, may I call you Anton ?, you never addressed the real issues being put forward by Mike Wells and others in this thread and are now conspicuous by your absence as it continues.

I am losing confidence.

Best Regards

11. TheQuest

Hi, Kahlua Kid

Good for you, happy Imaging.

As yours is working you have no real need to get Ti8 and no reason to gripe.

Ti6 and Ti7 will not work on my Raid0 but I do not keep gripping. [The Beta Ti7#619 Part works]

Ti8 not tested waiting for more info.

But can you?

And if you read the posts you will see why Anton is not around.

Take Care,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.