What's up with AV-Comparatives

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by acr1965, Aug 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Re: What's up with AV-Comparatives?

I already answered this here:

2. schitzn

schitzn Registered Member

Where have I not substantiated my claims, look at my posts, Do you want me to bring the av-comparative results as well that have been discussed by others? My statements are based on factual information available to you on your internet. If there is something I have not substantiated with evidence, please tell me where and Ill be happy to provide you with my source of information.

Where is the attitude in my post? I said as a IT Expert, meaning I am a IT Expert by trade and my requirement is to ensure Im provisioning the best product to my clients. I didn't infer your a idiot and im the expert. This is the way I HAVE to operate so my clients don't go elsewhere because the solution I sold didnt cover them. Im expressing from my POV and a lot of other IT Experts who work in my field with both business and domestic clients.

You speak about running well without issues, what do you mean by this? I speak highly of Avira and Norton in my recent posts, I assume your referring to these products. Could you substantiate on what issues your having, I would sincerely like to know, this certainly helps me forming a solid ground for the product I select.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  3. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

No surprise at all...Just look at the first row...In the first test of 2008 Symantec also had the Advance+

4. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

What happened to VBA32 ?
    Did they get kicked out of the test ?

5. ren

ren Registered Member

I think they do not reach the minimum, so no reward.

6. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Ooh, thats bad. VBA 32 looked like a product with lot of potennial. Maybe they will take this as shot in the arm and improve ...

7. ren

ren Registered Member

I may be wrong:D

8. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I have no issues, you attacked my 'opinion' that ESET works for me, it's my opinion & I'm not chging it because you said so....I know your new to the forum so I'll just say I repect your thoughts but don't expect to have people respect you opinion when you tell them that what they are wrong just because you said so...on tests well they are just that tests, real world is a whole different ballgame if your a true IT EXPERT, ever you would know that...

9. schitzn

Thanks, I appreciate your reply. Im after constructive criticism. You mention real world conditions and issues with certain products. Im still keen to know what you mean by this, this imo is your opinion and I would like to know how you substantiate this opinion. Ive explain what is real world to me, in a nut-shell its everyone is open to different risks, the way to best minimize this is to have a product with a protection mechanism as close to 100% as possible. Thats real world to me.

Im not here to be respected, Im here to have a constructive debate without personal feelings getting chucked into the threads. Im a geek and I have to have solid grounding for making my security solution decisions. If I can provoke constructive debate against my posts, then it presents an opportunity for me and someone else to gain knowledge that would of otherwise not come about.

10. larryb52

this is a 'discussion' board not a debating club so leave that at the door. I stated it was my opinion & I'll end that there. My facts- my machine is clean & is proven so by running 'other av' scans (online) on it to show it clean. You see I don't think any AV/solution is prefect. FWIW my solution is ESET/ Superantispyware & look n stop...It works for 'me' & I'm the only one I need to keep happy. Again I'm sure your a nice guy so rememeber were all here to learn from other people experiences, were here to help & discuss but if you want to debate, IMHO it's not here...

11. schitzn

Appreciate your response again. Thanks for substantiating how you gain your opinion. I won't post here anything further in a debate manner, seeming your a frequent user and appear to know the forum rules better than me being new. Any recommendations of online forums for constructive debating the quality of security products?

12. larryb52

I'd say stay, I think your imput would be extremely healpful , I know I would value it. No one has the perfect answer and everyone can learn (me too). FWIW your experiences are what's needed here & would be a invalueable tool to anyone. FWIW just don't go into comparision mode such as this vs that, the thread will get shutdown immediately, thanks for you imput & I look forward to deep discussions at a future time, BTW what do you think about who will be in the top 3 on the comparison tests?, thanks and have a nice day...

13. schitzn

Top 3 (1.5 hrs and counting down):

3. Norton 2009 (if they measure Norton 09 and not Norton 0:cool:, otherwise ESET

2. Kaspersky

1. Avira

I exclude AVK, TrustPort and FSecure from my top 3 listing because they don't have home user orientated products (excluding rebadged ones) and because they are not single standalone scanning engines.

btw, did you know Symantec brought out PC Tools, manufacturer of Spyware Doctor last month.

14. larryb52

Thanks & I helped test Norton09 & IMHO it is a good product & yes Avira will come out on top. I did like F-Secure but it has a few things I didn't like (e-mail scan extremely long) on the rooting for a free solution I'm hoping Avast does well & believe they will...on Pc Tools yes there was a thread the other week reference to them being purchased, Norton tends to suck up the good stuff...

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its interesting that f-secure got advanced and kaspersky got advanced plus.

16. schitzn

F-Secure does not use the same engine as Kaspersky. It uses the AVP engine and signatures, but it lacks the new heuristic which is available since kaspersky v7, which may be why KAV can detect more than F-Secure.

Source:
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=824&pageNo=2

50 minutes and counting to the results

Did you know email scanning is redundant. In fact its dangerous. A lot of Outlook Express and MS Office Outlook stored folder corruption occurs due to the email scanning in AV's. Its redundant because if the attachment is attempted to be opened after being downloaded, it's scanned by the realtime protection in the av product anyway.

17. marciocruz

marciocruz Registered Member

~~ direct link to results table image removed - av-comparatives.org policy is that only their main page can be link~~

the results:argh:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2008
  18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Avast - yeah, sure! :rolleyes:

19. ugly

ugly Registered Member

Report is online now.

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

looks like Norton shines with high detection and low false positives.

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

seems that all the 2009 versions where tested.
    wow look at norton's score. big congratz to norton.
    kaspersky has done well as always. they just need to work on lowering fp's
    avast done very well.

btw in the report it says Artemis was not tested in that report and a seprate report will be published on the website soon.
    isnt there a seprate report for it already?
    or is there gonna be a more updated version now since its nearly final?

22. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

My thoughts as well.

Another point to make is that many vendors have some trouble with script malware.

23. Killtek

Killtek Registered Member

With all the hype over NIS 2009, I was seriously contemplaing on switching over to it. But, these results proves that Avira is top notch, false positives or not, it has the lowest missed sample rating.

Also, would add that it's always in the top 3 results in other tests.

Thank you Avira for an awesome product!

24. larryb52

Re: av-comparatives.org is up with result

I had a feeling Avast would do well & kinda surprised at the trojan test on Norton09, Avira #1...I use ESET it came in about where I thought...

25. schitzn

You failed to mention its got the fastest scanning engine of all the antivirus products as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.