Whats up with all this new talk...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Aug 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I don`t know about now, but to me it meant a well defined woman. :)

2. ---

You sure picked a wrong example to argue about then. In your google example, it's not coverage alone that makes google successful, it's relevance.

Similarly, It's not the quantity of popups/decisions you have to make that makes your computer secure. I can set up a computer such that every file I/O access is being reported to you , is that really more secure?

Based on your reasoning it gives me even more control....

LOL, the label paranoid puts fear into people? Fear of what? For being called a paranoid?

On the other hand, for someone who loves to assert his right to run software he wants, you sure are quick to critise other people's setups.

How do you know?

3. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Host-base Intrusion Prevention System.

There ya have it. :)

4. ----

AYBABTU :)

5. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

What will Online Armor offer differently than what I am using now? Also, would Safe'n"sec offer anything else to my current setup? Do any of you still use programs like regrun and script defender with this new programs?

dja2k

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

dja2k,

I tend to think of SafenSec as an integrated PG/RD with a more user friendly front end, although the differences are clearly not just at an aesthetic level. There is a lot of sophistication under the hood.

The basic SafenSec design strategy is provided here. Rather than allow (or force, it depends on perspective) a user to delve into the minutiae of what to block/how to block/etc., most of that is provided by the internally held policies and rules of SafenSec. What that means is fewer alerts - generally better for a casual user trying to fight popup fatigue - and a coarser selection of how the application can be tailored. For example, one can set the control levels at Total, Strict, or Trusting. That's it. Clearly not the degree of fine tuning possible with PG/RD, but it happens to be at a level I want for my family machines, and basically I think that is their target - the mass market. Personally, I like it a lot and think it is a great application. It is installed on all of my systems and it has been rock solid with no conflicts or stability issues from the day of the initial installation.

If you satisfied with the functionality of PG/RD now, I wouldn't necessarily recommend a switch. If you find yourself increasingly bogged down answering questions regarding pop ups (that was the trigger for me), or you find the configuration options of PG/RD a little distressing, I'd recommend that you take a look at SafenSec or one of the other so-called HIPS solutions.

Blue

7. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Nope, no complains on pop-ups here with PG\RD combination. Just wondering what safe'n'sec compared to those and\or other programs. Like I read, Antihook is no necessary if you have Process Guard. So I guess Antihook and Safe'n"sec are out for me then. But what about all this talk about Online Armor? Why would I try OA if I think I have enough with PG\RD, Regrun, Script Defender (extra scripts), Ewido 3.5 in addition to Nod32 and ZA PRO 6 running as first defense. What would I benefit with OA? And if I install OA, should I drop any active security program?

dja2k

8. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Didn't need Online Armor personally. Don't think many people who use programs like Regdefend 1.3, ProcessGuard 1.500 Full, Zonealarm 6 Pro, Ewido 3.5, Unhackme, Regrun 4.1 Gold and SnoopFree Etc. would like to have more pop-ups and additional softare that does the same thing. Furthermore, not to mention paying $40 for a new program that is just the combination of the softare mentioned above.

I mean this is a good program for a new user to all these, but for someone like me who already paid for the non-free software mention above, it isn't much of a different program. Anyways, good work on Online Armor, seems to be a complete package.

dja2k

9. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Obviously, if you have laid out $50 for trojan hunter, $29.95 for processGuard, $29.95 for Reg Defend, $29.95 for Ewido then you already have a lot of protection and perhaps OA is not good for you as there would be a lot of overlap in your case.

Do you think we should offer some sort of discount for users of "competitive" programs? What sort of deal do you think would be fair?

Mike

10. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

I'd suggest not bothering - your main target market is presumably going to be new users with little in the way of existing security products looking for a simple all-in-one solution rather than the "belt'n'bracers" crowd. Also if you do offer a discount, how would you check that purchasers qualified and how much extra effort would it involve?

Instead, you may find a bundling arrangement more useful (with one of the more popular AVs perhaps or a firewall) or a distribution deal with a PC supplier offering OA preinstalled - think of the savings the likes of Dell could make on support if they bundled a comprehensive security solution rather than just Norton...

11. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Hey if I can get a good deal to drop several apps from running and having one whole suite in just one software product, that would be great!

Being a Marketing Major Graduate here, I agree that a discount in most cases does work! :)

dja2k

12. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Yes, charging a lower price will help sales numbers - but results in a lower margin also. For "competitive discounts" you also either have to verify ownership of other products (more effort = lower margin still) or rely on the honour system - in which case, why not charge a lower price across the board to avoid rewarding the dishonest?

For low-cost, high-volume products (which is presumably what OA is aiming for), a simple pricing model would be more appropriate. One thing that should be considered though, given the number of multiple-PC households, is offering a "family licence" (allowing for unlimited use on all PCs within a home - perhaps with some restriction on numbers) as well as multiple-seat business licences.

Another issue for European Union purchasers is Value Added Tax (rates varying from 15-20%) which has to be charged by vendors on software purchased online. Being Australian-based, this is a voluntary step for Tallemu but many shareware/download registration services add VAT automatically - if OA is to be sold in this fashion, offering a direct payment method (via credit card or Paypal) would allow EU residents to avoid this tax.

13. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

A very good point. I can confirm that we are definitely going to have some kind of family/Small biz packs, but the pricing hasn't been worked out just yet.

As for VAT - we have GST here (which is essentially the same thing) but because our sales are exports we don't need to charge it. There are no plans to charge any EU taxes either, especially if we don't have to.

14. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I have Process Guard but I think I will go for KIS 2006 instead. I'm beta testing it currently and it has a ProActive defense module with Process Guard, Registry Guard, and Office Guard. It's QUITE buggy now but when this goes Gold, I think it will be outstanding. There is all this coverage (antispy, hacker and spam also) and yet the memory usage is less than 8,000K. KAV and KIS 2006 are TOTALLY different from 2005 and a VAST improvement.

15. ---

Like many, I already few more than protected, and adding OA currently to the mix, has little benefit now.

There are a 2-3 features currently that OA has that I might think of acquiring though, I don't particularly feel like running a complete new package on top of what I have just to get them

perhaps you might release a special smaller product that included only some unique OA features that arent available in PG,Regdefend.

Like your banktrust program you were thinking of releasing , dns spoofing protecting via a trusted third dns server is pretty unique in my experience, and worth paying for.

Ditto for the idea to link execution protection to rollbacks.

On the other hand, it would probably cost quite a bit to maintain a second line of products, just to pander to a very small group ,so forget what i said.

Mike[/QUOTE]

16. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Yeah, it would increase the costs a little. You can de-activate various features though, so perhaps it may be better to give users additional control (in advanced mode) of which facilities of OA run. So, if you want regdefend to look after your registry, just turn that off in OA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.