What's the weirdest thing you ate?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Fire-Ant, Aug 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fire-Ant

Fire-Ant Registered Member

Hi all,

with so many people from around the globe,
    there must be some weird food consuming taking place :doubt:

For instance in Peru I had stuffed Guinea Pig from the BBQ :p :p
    In Ecuador the local guide presented me Lemon Ants :doubt:
    And recently in Japan some strange Sea Urchin was presented :blink:

So what have you lot been eating ?

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I like eating heaty and junk food. :D
    What's the weirdest thing anybody would eat? ****

3. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

:p From Nadirah's little island I had a sweet delicacy of Candied Octopus. Not to mention a few other strange foods. They have a fruit at the market, that your not allowed to bring into the hotel! It's quite delicious if you can bear the odor. :D

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

This is probably not what you had in mind, but back in my college days (this was before Noah and the Flood, if I remember right ;) ) chocolate-covered insects were a short-lived fad. Other old-timers might remember that period too.

I tried ants in a block of chocolate once -- exactly like a Crunchy candy, except the ants kept getting stuck in my teeth. :p

Probably more in line with what you envisioned, ages ago I got daring and tried a can of octopus. Unfortunately, it was packed in a very strong tomato-and-oil sauce, so to this day I still don't know what anything except the sauce tasted like.

5. Fire-Ant

Fire-Ant Registered Member

Yep,
    smells like hell, tastes likes heaven :D

The choco dipped locusts are still on the menu in africa.
    So are the fried catterpillars. Tasting a bit like walnut. :p :p

6. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

eating four Habanero peppers as a bet
    and me and my rearend will never ever forget it
    forever

Attached Files:

• HOT.gif
      HOT.gif
      File size:
      8.9 KB
      Views:
  7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Been there!! Two way treat!! :cool:

8. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

'Treat'?? More Like A Special Bomb*puppy*

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Very hot pepper!

Attached Files:

10. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Can't think of anything weird (there must be some things but fortunately no one ever told me).
    Maybe this: long time ago somewhere in Asia I ate a birds nest. Taste very good. Since then I ate it several times here in the Netherlands in Chinese restaurants.

Gerard

11. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

:D Y'all have reindeer over there don't you? You can't purchase that here in the states. :D

12. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Well, this is probably going to be sickening to a lot of u but last year when i was

in Saigon(Vietnam) I consummed some roasted cockroaches and drank snake's blood. :eek:

Very common over there, and well, u have to do like the natives do right? :D

Packed with protein and vitamins! :D

ummmmmm....

snowbound

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Were you sober?? :D :ninja:

14. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Thought of another one, a few years more recent -- not weird, exactly, but a surprise when I found out afterwards.

Back at the small plant where I used to work (typically a total of 6 of us in the plant and office), the manager would sometimes bring in a lunch for us. On one occasion it was a typical warm-weather buffet, an assortment of cold cuts and cheeses and salads.

One of the cold cuts was a sliced sausage, rather dark in color, very chewy and delicious -- I "pigged out" on that and must have eaten most of it myself. When I asked the manager about it afterwards, he said it was from moose-meat.

15. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi MikeBCda
    i have eaten moose and loved it-- also like elk deer and buffalo--yum
    rita

16. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Surprisingly yes, i was!:D

Just a one time thing though. Not anxious to indulge again any time soon....

17. Etsnuffy

Etsnuffy Registered Member

This is sort of tame compared to some of the other posts but I have tried rattlesnake...It was pretty good.

18. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

When I lived in california a friend worked in a specialty food store, And while there I have eaten alligator, elephant, lion, wildabeast, gazell and a few more. the one I didn't care for was the lion [it didn't taste like chicken] All the rest were pretty good. The wildabeast taste a bit like buffalo.

19. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

Semen, among other chinese herbs.

Ok, before you go off and say lynchknot is doing the Oscar Meyer thing, I report to you that it was a chinese medicinal herbal medication. After taking one, I noticed one ingredient was some kind of flower semen. - :)

I hope this post was not in bad taste (pun not intended) - if so, I apologize.

20. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Was once in Mexico and went to a famous French restaurant named Tour de France and wanted to order a vegetarian breakfast. Was assured that Huevos Huitlacoche was an absolutely vegetarian omlette. Some months later looked it up and found this -

Huitlacoche is a bulbous black fungus (Ustilago maydis) that infects corn, producing silvery, swollen, pebble like kernels. Huitlacoches kernels have a smoky-sweet flavor and are sometimes harvested and used in a variety of Mexican dishes. Also called corn smut, maize mushroom, Mexican truffle.

You can make delicious huitlacoche quesadillas, crepes and soups. Huitlacoche is also called the Mexican caviar.

Also when in Mexico we tried helado del ciruelo which is quite good. In English it is called Prune Ice Cream!

21. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

when in OZ, i tried kangaroo meat - it is served rare and since i do not like rare meat, was not impressed.

22. newt

newt Registered Member

from where i come from, Fear Factor will be like a childrens show! boiled unhatched duck's eggs is a normal fare... crickets and other insects can be bought in the market and eaten like snacks... somewhere north, ants larvae is a delicacy.... if coconut is the tree of life (there are many uses for fruit, the leaves, fruit and the trunk, roots, i short nothing goes to waste)... same is true for chicken.... the feet (we call adidas), the intestines, (we call iud), brain, and almost all parts are either eaten,or have its use (feathers)... nothing also goes to waste.... other exotic animals are normal food fare here.... if you're interested, come and visit us here in the philippines.

23. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Octupus, tasted like rubber to me.

Live red ants, only cuz I was 3 and didn't know better, at first!!! OOWWW!!

If people could get used to eating bugs, especially cockroaches(ugh!), there wouldn't be many starving people. I wonder if roaches could keep up their population count with everyone eating them!?!

Interesting question and answers!!

Marja:cool:

24. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi Newt
    i'd love to visit the philippines.I knew a person who worked in a chicken processing plant that worked in a dept.they called the foot room and they processed the chicken feet which were shipped to the phillipines.I've eaten duck eggs--are all duck eggs unhatched eggs?or do you mean like fertilized duck eggs?you have a good night
    rita

25. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hi Marja
    i wonder too about the roaches--maybe if we all started including them in our diet they would go instinct :D good thought huh?
    rita

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.