What's the release schedule for the next RAS?

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by Mister Natural, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Natural

Mister Natural Registered Member

I'm planning up upgrading my ras soon so I can start pushing v4 to clients. Are there any plans to release a newer version soon? I don't want to upgrade it now if a newer version is on the horizon.

Has anyone had success installing 3.1.11 on top of a pre-existing install or is it still recommended to remove earlier version first?

2. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

What version are you coming from?

3. Mister Natural

4. SmackyTheFrog

I upgraded from 2.0.11 to the first RAv3 release when it came out and jumped through each additional release without a problem. The biggest thing that will happen is the database conversion from v2 to v3. Once that is done, installing minor updates within the v3 family is quick and easy and have done it several times during business hours with the worst consequence being a few clients not being able to get to the update mirror. Of course, I am running my RAS on ESXi and take a snapshot before an upgrade to be safe.

5. Mister Natural

The download site only has 2.0.11 and 3.1.11. So you think I can install it on top 2.0.11?
    I recall reading some threads a while back about some having a problem installing on top and then couldn't uninstall any of it to fix it.

I'll have to review the manual again but I'll ask anyway. If I uninstall v2 and then do a clean install of v3 the clients will get updates again as long as the server name stays the same and I initiate the mirror to download the updates? And the clients will begin to propagate in the RAC again without any config changes on the client?

6. SmackyTheFrog

So long as you are using the same port and authentication settings it should work fine without having to reconfigure clients. You'll start with a clean database and the clients will repopulate as they report back in in their 5 minute interval. If you are still using v2 clients, there is an extra check box you need to hit to populate v2 definitions in addition to the v3/4 definitions. The only big gotcha I can think of is that if you are using network shares to serve the updates to clients the v2 ones may populate in a seperate folder which will require you to mess around with the share names.

7. Mister Natural

Appreciate the feedback Smacky, thanks much. Next week or two I will be doing this, most likely a clean install and I will wrestle with whatever needs to be fixed afterwards. I'll report back and mention any issues I come across for reference purposes.

Eset folks, feel free to let us know if a new RAS is scheduled for release soon. :)

8. Mister Natural

I'm reviewing the manual for 3.1 and I see it now uses a database engine. Currently the system I use for the RAS does not have any database s/w installed. So it appears installing the new RAS will automatically install MS Access by default?

After installing I will have to setup ODBC database configuration or this is only required on systems with a database program?

9. BFG

BFG Registered Member

10. Mister Natural

Obviously I was confused by the updates in the manual which now refer to database options. I installed v3 without the advanced options and did not require any additional database or odbc configuration.

As some might have seen in another thread I have it up and running now, but I thought I would summarize my update process in case anyone else had questions similar to mine.

I uninstalled RAS/RAC v2 and NODBEv3 on the computer. Rebooted, then installed RAS/RAC v3 and NODv4. NODv4 and RAS mirror would not update. So I uninstalled everything again, reboot, manually removed the Eset directories left over. Re-installed RAS/RAC again. Updated mirror successfully. Then installed NODBEv4 and it updated successfully.
    Clients automatically connected to the server after the update since no changes were made to the server. They started populating in the RAC client list and once I got the mirror to update they started getting updates properly.

So now that's all squared away I'm certain within the next week or so Eset will be releasing a new RAS/RAC. :)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.