What's the most secure cloud storage service?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Fox Mulder, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup Security Expert

One thing that most of these reviews seem to ignore is actual real live production data restores and their success/failure.

Not just doing a restore of a few files which I'm sure all of them can do.

As an example I've used a cloud based solution and attempted to do a restore of of a volume with 5 million files. After 4 days it still had not finished cataloging the data so we sent off and actually got a USB external drive of the data (about 1TB) and it still took about 3 days to catalog before it can even start the restore. Then after 4 days of running the restore we finally called it quits and ended the test. Pulled out our LTO-5 tape of the same data and completed the restore in about 4 hours with local BackupExec.

Another thing is cost. Sure for the casual home user they may have limited space needs but it doesn't take much to get large amounts of data that can be very expensive to backup in the cloud (and you need a very high speed connection to backup that much data).

As an example one vendor wants $160 month for up to 10TB of storage space - granted most users here this is more than enough but that comes out to about $1,600 a year. I can easily buy my own drives to back that up and ship them off site. Many other vendors are even more expensive.

But you do need something - without good backups sooner or later you're going to lose data and not be able to get it back. Just make sure whatever solution you choose that if at all possible you test out doing a full restore of the data so that you know it meets your needs.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.