What's the "cool software" you use?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Lollan, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

Basically, I've bored myself within recent years, not really running into many new exciting softwares. I can remember back when discovering there were other browsers than IE, others AVs than Norton, other media players than WMP, but that hasn't happened much recently and I find myself pretty bored, lol.

So, basically, the point of this thread is to just get some recommended software to "play" with more or less. I found myself searching for a trial version of a corporate AV last week (didn't have any luck, unfortunately) because I wanted to setup a VMWare farm and familiarize myself some more with big business rollouts.

Also, OS is not so dependent either as I'm playing with several Linux distros atm including FC6T2, Ubuntu and a full Gentoo compilation.

So, let's throw some ideas out, please! :)

2. Dina

Dina Registered Member

Litestep kept me busy when I was new to it. It was exciting to see it eating 6MB of RAM on an old 1Ghz, 384 RAM rig that was after I dropped windowblinds so I really felt the difference. And also trying to create the smallest, working, windowsxp installer.

But these are old so..

And lately after a terrible pc crash, ive been testing restore/rollback software. Backontrack, Deepfreeze, Clean slate, Shadow user, shadow surfer, FDISR, rollbackrx. I tried them all in a span of a week. :)

Cheers

Dina

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

if u have time and you really want to try a new software, then get ur windows 2000/xp/2003 cd and try out nlite.

it lets u integrate hotfixes, update pack or drivers. u can also remove many windows components and make an unattended cd.

4. Lollan

Lollan Registered Member

Very cool, definitely gonna give that a shot at work. I fix PCs for a living so reinstallation is a common occurence. :)

5. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Linux is pretty cool :cool:

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

FirstDefense-ISR for
    - immediate system recovery (inside/outside Windows)
    - second and fastest backup solution
    - different work and test environments
    A software that still doesn't bore me and makes me feel invincible, one of the psychological side effects of FirstDefense-ISR.

7. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

If you have to do a lot of repetitive tasks on the computer, then a macro automation program like MacroExpress can really save you a lot of time. It lets an ordinary user combine and control multiple programs. A program that has a useful but recessed feature can be made easily accessible with a keypress, that's a cool software.
    Roboform, TrueCrypt, and OpenOffice are pretty cool too.

8. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

network detective:

http://detective.surfnet.nl/en/index_en.html

9. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

RoboForm: http://www.roboform.com/ "Password Manager, Form Filler, Password Generator, Fill & Save Forms " I use this DAILY. Even to come here.

10. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

yes roboform is a very good utility,but how's that cool??

11. Devinco

Not only does it make your life easier and more secure, it wears sunglasses when you log in. :cool:

12. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

you said :
    Boredom waining abit now then:D
    Konqueror browser
    Gimp

metapad
    systrayplayer
    desktopsidebar
    ubcd4win
    FirstDefence ISR and TrueCrypt

13. crofttk

:cool:
    Any response I made to that wouldn't be worth a tinker's damn because what's "cool" is strictly a value judgment and not subject to logical debate. Having said that, I'll conclude by saying:

It's cool because I say it is.:cool:

OP asked for recommendations on software that is worth "playing" with. RoboForm is that. If you don't agree, don't play.

14. cheeseandham

cheeseandham Registered Member

15. fred22

fred22 Registered Member

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

AUSTRUMI

Austrumi is a bootable Live CD Linux distro. it uses the Enlightenment Window Manager. it's so small (50MB) the whole thing is booted into memory meaning you can take the CD out and copy stuff onto a blank CD if you need to, or watch a film, and all the programs launch very quickly.

here's a review of Austrumi with screenshots
    http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/6800

Home Page
    http://cyti.latgola.lv/ruuni/index_en.html

Direct Download
    http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/austrumi/austrumi-1.2.0.iso

MD5
    http://ovh.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/austrumi/austrumi-1.2.0.md5
    b3051f2b3d6552c60077ae97cb74d5ef *austrumi-1.2.0.iso

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  17. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

no problems there dude,i am also using it full-time for my 33 odd web-accounts including the one here at wilders..
    and also "devinco"'s point is pretty valid..it roboform wears a sunglass!

18. crofttk

:) Hehe....I didn't understand what Devinco meant until I looked up on my toolbar and saw that.

19. Dina

Dina Registered Member

Hi. Thanks for the info. And more importantly the small download. I honestly have been thinking of trying out linux. Would you recommend this to a newbie at linux? The only reason I havent tried is because lately Ive been stuck with dialup and trying to download a 700MB iso... :oops:

Are there other distros which have a small download and you can recommend to a new (willing to learn and patient :) ) user?

Thanks.

Sorry for going offtopic.

20. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, yes there are a few mini distros, there's also Puppy Linux at 60 MB and Damn Small Linux at 50MB. but, i'd try Austrumi first, i haven't used this newest version with the Enlightenment Window Manager so i can't say how easy it is to use, in the past it's used other Window Managers.

i think these smaller distros are abit difficult for a first go, but they are still great. i don't really like DSL as something to use every day, it's main use is to help recover broken computers so it's more functional rather then pretty GUIs and ease of use, that's why i think Austrumi is good, it definitely looks better.

if you have dial-up you probably won't get them working on the internet, you really need a hardware router and ISP for that.

you can also get distros from linux magazines, they just about always have livecds on the cover. some have two editions of the same magazine - one version will have 1 or 2 cds and the other, which is better, has a dvd. so try and get a dvd if you buy a magazine. good luck.

btw, be careful if you download Puppy Linux because i think the barebones version hasn't got a GUI, there are firefox and Opera GUI version though.

21. Devinco

Hi Dina,

That 50MB Linux OS does look cool.
    But there is no need to limit your choice based on download size alone.
    There are some threads here on Wilder's about how to get the big Linux Distros on CD for little to no cost delivered to you.

22. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

23. Dina

Dina Registered Member

Wow. Thanks for the replies Devinco and iceni60. Yes Ive read theyre available in some magazines, Ive looked around and from where Im at right now, let's just say it's gona be hard to find one.

Thanks iceni60 for that link, I have just finished applying, said its gona take 6-10 weeks, Im betting on the maximum.But that's alright.

At the moment, Ill probably go with Austrumi to get more exposure. Ive been wanting to try it a long time but now I got the time so Im really eager to learn.

@ iceni60

Was it your desktop I saw earlier? I remember clicking on a link on someone's signature. Wow.

24. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

This is very useful thanks I keep a lot of things on my flash drives but this list is very cool. I am looking at PStart to see how it works. I got a flash drive as a prize with U3 launchpad software in it with portable applications but I didn't like the fact it would take a drive letter permanently plus the removable one I still haven't use it but liked the idea of running portable stuff.
    I have a 4Gb + another 1GB which aren't full of other things so maybe work on this for a selection of things now. Sorry to go Off Topic from the original post.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  25. A1SteakSauce

A1SteakSauce Registered Member

Smiley Extra for Firefox. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.