Whats the best uninstall app?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bgoodman4, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I had been having occasional trouble uninstalling programs using MSs unistaller and I have been using a program called ZSoft Uninstaller which has worked pretty well. I was wondering which program you folks like for this purpose. Preferably a free one but if its REALLY good at what it does for pay would be fine as well.

I just took a look at another thread active on the subject (the request was for an installer that monitors the registry). I am looking for a program that does a good job without having to be on all the time. The sort of thing you would use to uninstall a program you have been using for some time (or actually that has been on the PC for some time but is not really being used or has been replaced by something better). For testing programs I am now using Rollback RX so watching things as the installation of a trial is happening is not nec.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  2. Banshee

Banshee Registered Member

If you are using rollback/eaz-fix you have one already. :)

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I've been looking at Revo Uninstaller. It looks so good, I'm considering getting it, then going back and re-installing some of the old programs that have half-assed uninstallers, just to let Revo do its thing.

5. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Page42,
    Two things I like about Revo. First, it creates a Restore point before doing anything. Second, it utilizes a program's own uninstaller but the key is NOT to restart the PC when told to do so by the program's uninstaller. Just continue with Revo's Registry scan (eliminating only the bold entries) and subsequent file/ folder search to complete deletion. If there are remnants of old software, sometimes Revo will indicate those as well. Try it; it's FREE!

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Sounds like a good review from a satisfied user. Has the program ever not been able to fully uninstall something? How long have you been using it? Have you ever done what I mentioned... re-installed old programs just to let Revo have a crack at them? I have a few programs (long since uninstalled) that continue to appear in ZoneAlarm's Program list. I'm guessing the remnants are obscure .dlls or driver files or registry entries. Who knows? I would just like to see them get gone, and I'm thinking Revo might be the ticket.

7. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Any isr or drive image program:)

8. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Page42, I have been using Revo for over a year, starting with version 1.50 (if I recall correctly) and since then, it has uninstalled every thing I threw at it, however, I have never reinstalled a program to uninstall with Revo.

Regarding Zone Alarm's program list, I'm using an older Free version (5.5.094.000) and my experience has been that when you right click to remove a program from the list, it only removes the latest version as seen in the Entry Detail window. If you toggle the tabs, between Main & Programs, you'll see the program reappear, but it's always the version before the last one removed. I hope I'm making sense.

There are times that I have toggled the tabs and removed 10 different listed versions of the same program to eliminate it entirely from the list. Looks like ZA keeps all the versions you ever gave permission to connect and remember! See if the above works for you.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

JRViejo,
    Excellent advice about ZoneAlarm keeping every version of the program! I did exactly as you instructed, toggling back and forth, and I had two more versions to remove of two different programs that have seemingly refused to go away. Now I understand! Thank you for the tip. (I'll believe it for real when I reboot and they are still not showing!). :thumb:
    Thanks again.

10. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

I use both ZSoft and Revo on this XP machine - Liking Revo due to it's ability
    to 'analyze' the before and after installation, so it registers exactly what's gone on and should come off - While Revo I use for any of my 140 older App. removals.

11. bgoodman4

Thanks folks Revo looks great. I noticed on the download page that there is a portable version as well as a full version but I did not see any explanation as to the difference between the 2 (I did not look very hard I must admit). Anyone know what the difference in capability is and if I am better off with one rather than the other?

12. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Page42, you're welcome! Yes, it took me awhile to figure out what ZA was doing in its Program list but the trick does work. Take care.

13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

And here I was all annoyed at these softwares for hiding pieces of themselves here and there, making it difficult to get rid of them, when all the while, it was ZoneAlarm's way of inventorying them. It seemed no matter how many times I removed them, they showed up again. This has bugged me for a long time. LOL!

14. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

bgoodman4,
    They are both the same yet the portable version, in an USB drive, comes in handy when helping a friend's PC. After first use, Revo writes a settings.ini file to its portable folder and that's all. Whether installed or portable, Revo will do its job.

15. bgoodman4

Thanks for clearing this up, much appreciated.

16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

bgoodman4, you're welcome! Take care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.