whats the best mobile security app

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by winterlord, Jul 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winterlord

winterlord Registered Member

Was wondering what a good mobile security app is. I also am due to buy a license for my desktop so paid or free is fine also do i need to run a firewall on my androido_O

2. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

If its for android then most of the people here will recommend Commen sense V1
    But if you want to install a security app you can install avast mobile security or CM security

3. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

4. Stode

Stode Registered Member

Avast is decent, but in order to have a firewall running in your android phone, the phone needs to be rooted aka jailbreaked.

5. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

If at all, I would definitely go with a free version without questionable additional features. Malwarebytes or Bitdefender free are good candidates. A lot of the paid versions' additional features like call and sms filtering either don't even work on Kitkat and later or they are unnecessary.

6. GakunGak

GakunGak Registered Member

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.qihoo.security
    Has most things you might need in a free app.
    http://www.360safe.com/news/?cat=1&paged=2
    360 Security Ranked No.1 for the 5th Time with Full Score in AV-TEST’s May Evaluation
    http://www.av-test.org/en/news/news-single-view/36-security-apps-for-android-are-put-under-constant-fire/

But firewall requires root privileges, which you can obtain here:
    http://www.kingoapp.com/
    But beware, once root, you'll void your warranty and severely expose your device as all restrictions and safeties are off...

7. winterlord

let me ask something about rooting a device. I don't mind rooting my mto g I just purchased because in 2months il get the iPhone 6 or a super fast Samsung s5prime or somthin. but in the meantime I may root my device and overclock it. question though is rooting a device will it open it up to virus and malware?

8. IvoShoen

IvoShoen Registered Member

You can read about the tests for several mobile security apps here: http://www.av-test.org/

I am currently using CM Security on a few of my phones with good results. Low impact and 100% detection.

9. chabbo

chabbo Registered Member

I'm use Emsisoft Mobile Security

10. NWOAbschaum

NWOAbschaum Registered Member

i would choose qihoo. nice user interface and almost every time number 1 in test on android. hard to beat for free.

11. IvoShoen

I sometimes use qihoo but find that it uses up the battery and misses some of the tests that CM gets.

12. GakunGak

Yes. If you ever heard of Linux and root privileges, this is it. If not, then your phone is Limited User Account at the moment, when rooted it is Administrator account.
    So yes, it is open to malware infection.

In my experience, and I've used major players, qihoo is the most lowest-impact, lowest battery consuption and most effective at fixing vulnerabilities, junk cleanup and optimization. As for malware, I never got one so I can't comment on that, but with proper usage, the phone can last longer and be more faster.
    Using Galaxy S3, CyanogenMod, and Qihoo. Here's a comparison:
    1: Stock android, anvil antivirus, or bitdefender, or kaspersky: slow opening, lag, phone conversation lag, battery from 100% to 0%: 17h
    2: UltimaRom, qihoo: fast opening, occasional crashes with google playstore services, occasional gui crash, battery lasted for 27 hours
    3: Cyanogenmod, qihoo: no crashes, no lag, fast, light, battery lasts for almost 33 hours.
    Used Battery Doctor as well but not anymore, even though it helped juice up 1 hour longer, I find that less background programs running, the better...

13. IvoShoen

Qihoo was very low on battery usage for me until the latest update. Then I noticed my battery draining faster than normal. CM Security catches test samples that are missed by Qihoo as well. Qihoo is a good product if you can stand the constant World Cup full screen ads.

14. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

Off topic question really, How is the Thread any different to a A vs B AV or best of "this" AV?

15. GakunGak

You're right...

16. winterlord

I like the idea of emisisoft mobile security. not sure how lite it is but I love the company. no trial version for the emisisoft though Ic :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.