What's the best FREE spam filter add-on for Outlook?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by OliverK, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OliverK

OliverK Registered Member

Wondering what FREE spam filter add-on people are using with Outlook (2007) and can recommend?

I've been using InBoxer which worked brilliantly (it did have an initial cost but no yearly charge, thank goodness), but is now causing problems with a major legal practice management program I'm using, so I can't use it anymore.

For the last few days I've been trying the basic Junk filter in Outlook 2007 and it seems to work well. Is this all I need?

Or are others using another add-on that does an even better job?

But it must be a FREE product AND perform all filtering within Outlook (I don't want a program that requires a separate step to go collect e-mail, like Mailwasher).

Any ideas?

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I am using Outlook 2007 and it seems to have about as good a spam filter as anything else. I also ran Norton 360 and its spam filter is really no better than the one in Outlook. But they have both caught about all the spam that has been sent my way. I have also tried a few other spam filters, trend micro had a free one for a while about a month ago, but it really isn't any better than what Outlook 2007 offers.

Some people like Spam Terrier-

http://www.agnitum.com/products/spam-terrier/index.php

And it supports Outlook 2007. I have tried it and it was ok. But that was when I used Outlook 2003.

3. fixmypcmike

fixmypcmike Registered Member

I like the free SpamBayes.

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

If you've been happy with Outlook 2007's Junk Mail Filter, I'd say stick with it. Besides, it's free! ;) FWIW, I have recently setup a few users with the 2003 version of Outlook (and the Junk Filter) and it works quite well.

A few things I might point out if you haven't already checked them.
    First, be sure to remember to update the filter (it will have monthly updates available from MS.)
    Second, run it at the highest filtered setting.
    Last, check through the Junk folder occasionally. Just to be sure it's not catching something you needed.

5. berng

berng Registered Member

I have to agree with that. I'm really happy with the Outlook2003 filtering. I tried Bayes but Outlook's filter works best.

Do what Han suggests about updating and sometimes check to give you confidence (that is tell Outlook to save it to a junk mail folder for your review). At this point I'm confident enough to have it set to the highest level with the option to directly delete.

6. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

7. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

With OE this works perfect. I would assume it would work with Outlook also. You can open K9 and check to see if it is "catching" legit mail or not catching spam. I have it set to log for two days. I've been using it for about one month and it is over 93% accurate at the moment but keeps improving!
    Also, the directions seem rather complicated, however, I was able to do it without a hitch and I'm rather slow! Well not real slow. Another point, any spam it catches never goes to your email client. If it marks something as spam it is only in the K9 folder. If it is not marked as spam PopTray notifies that there is mail the way it normally works. I've had PopTray for several years and actually had a fairly large black list but just got tired of messing with it and this system is working out real good.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2007
  8. gold1965

gold1965 Registered Member

I've had good luck with Spambully. I believe they have a free trial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.