Whats the best desktop search engine?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bgoodman4, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I would like to be able to index my PC and have tried google desktop search but it wants to use IE as the default browser (for some reason) and since I have Opera set as my default the program seems to be limited in its ability to do its job. Does anyone know of a program that can do a good job of it without me having to have IE as the default browser?

2. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

3. bgoodman4

Thanks, I will give that a try.

4. Webby

Webby Registered Member

Hello,

You may want to give Everything Search Engine a try, portable or installed versions available: http://www.voidtools.com

Cheers Webby

5. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Everything Search Engine:thumb: :thumb:

6. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Everything is nice but it only searches NTFS drives and only local drives without additional labor involved. Plus it does not search like Copernic or Google Desktop. Those programs actually search inside of files, emails and so forth for the info in question.

We use Copernic at work (paid versions.) I highly recommend it. You don't notice it's there until you need it. Then it finds what you need, instantly. It saves tons and tons of time for us...

7. 842x5

842x5 Registered Member

X1 Professional Client is my favorite. Payware, but worth every cent.
    Similar to Copernic , not only search inside files (long list of supported file types) but also see results in real document view. This is what makes it excellent.

http://www.x1.com/products/xds.html

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yahoo desktop search is a cut down version of X1 professional

ive never really seen the point of desktop search since i know where all my files are.

9. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

I use turbo searcher it'll index all your drives Everytime I lose a file, it'll find it quickly.

10. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I use Search GT. I also have Locate32 but rarely use it anymore.

11. bgoodman4

Thanks for the suggestions folks, ,,,,,,, I too know where my files are but that does not mean I know which files contain references to a particular subject, thing, or person, so search capability inside the file is critical.

I will check out the programs recommended above and thanks again.

12. bgoodman4

Seems to no longer be a cut down version as the link (more info) is to X1 Professional

13. hany3

hany3 Registered Member

1-ava find 1.5 "paid"
    "has not been updated since 2004 but still the best desktop searcher it even works on windows 7

2-instant file find 1.4.2 by popusoft "paid"
    "still updated till now and is very similar to avafind and there's available beta version 1.4.5

3-locate 32 "freeware"

all of the above mentioned products work by indexing which is the most suitable and fastest method for desktop search

best regards

14. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

15. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Well, I am not a Microsoft lover and I do not want to start a "Microsoft vs others" or "Microsoft is not good" argument here, but I have found "Windows Search" to be reliable, fast and efficient. Since it is a Microsoft product so it seamlessly integrates into Windows. It is factory-built into Vista but can be downloaded free of charge for previous windows like XP. Why not give it a try...

See here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/desktopsearch/choose/windowssearch4.mspx

16. Kaylee_Fox

Kaylee_Fox Registered Member

I'm usually a critic of Microsoft, and turning off indexing is the first thing I do in XP. But I couldn't agree more about the one included in Vista. It's probably my favorite, most-used feature. I only noticed it indexing the first day or two that I had it up and running; since then, it has been nothing but a bonus, and it's quick as lightening. :thumb:

17. bgoodman4

Thanks again folks, more programs for me to check out. Muchas gracias

18. raakii

raakii Registered Member

Instructions for converting your fat32 to ntfs.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881

19. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

I agree with you I have windows search service disabled.

20. bgoodman4

You are missing the point,,,,its not a question of knowing where a file is but accessing the correct file with the content you are looking for.

Here is an example,,,,,,,I have 10 e-mails from Joe X, in one of them Joe mentioned a particular subject,,,,lets call it STUFF, I want to find the e-mail in question but the subject line of the e-mail does not refer to STUFF so I would need to open each e-mail in turn until I found the one I needed. Not a very efficient way to find the e-mail in question is it. Now magnify this to an entire drive (or multiple drives) of data files. Perhaps I want to find all files that refer to STUFF on my terabyte drive,,,,,,it is not very likely I would know where every file that had a reference to STUFF is let alone be able to call them all up in an efficient manner......

21. wembleyy

wembleyy Registered Member

best and compact, always available on tray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.