What's Some of the Coolest Software that You Use?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Paragon, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Infected

Infected Registered Member

Sandboxie.
    Vbox
    IDM
    Does any of you use Total Commander?

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

3. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

A lot of people here are quite familiar with a lot of the software that I am listing below, but for those who aren't familiar might find them useful, which is why I am providing brief descriptions on each one of them.

System utilities and Security:

CCleaner - Cleanup utility that offers your traditional cleanup, registry cleaner, startup manager, disk analyzer, drive wiper, duplicate finder, etc. - Freeware

PrivaZer - An In-depth cleanup utility that rids the system of unwanted traces - Offers more features than the average cleanup utility, cleans the system thoroughly, ensuring user privacy. - Freeware and Donators edition

Sandboxie - A highly customizable sandboxing program, that runs your applications in an isolated space - a preventive measure against system infection, provides a test bed environment for regular applications and keeps the system lean by dumping all browsing history, etc. - Free and Paid version

Adguard for Windows - AdBlocker for all your browsers and programs, protects you from phishing and malware sites - As far as supporting everything, this is simply the best (my opinion) - Paid, also offer free browser extensions

Process Lasso - Keeps the computer responsive during CPU loads, Also includes RAM Optimizer, Gaming mode (Switches to High performance profile, while gaming) - This is not only a good utility for older machines, but newer ones as well. - Free and Paid version

HWMonitor - Displays information about internal hardware, such as component temperatures (CPU, HDD, SDD, Video Card), voltages and fan details. - Freeware

Driver Booster - Keeps your system drivers up to date - The only driver updater that has worked for me every time - Free and Paid version

Image editing and viewing:

nomac image lounge - A simple image viewer with a very nice set of features - Free/Open source

Corel PaintShop Pro X7 - An affordable Photoshop alternative, without the cloud - Paid

Serif DrawPlus X8 - A simple, yet nice featured vector drawing program - Paid

Productivity:

Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2013 - Office suite to create and edit documents, spreadsheets, presentations, notes, etc. - Paid

Gaming:

Steam - Gaming client that houses a large library of free and paid games - Offers achievement system, badges, cloud backup, VAC security (To rid cheaters), community driven features (Forums, Chat, etc.) - Free

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  4. Daveski17

FotoSketcher

FotoSketcher is a 100% free program for Windows which converts your digital photos into art automatically and in just a few mouse clicks. Over 20 different styles are available from pencil sketches to watercolor or oil paintings, pen & ink drawings and cartoons. From photo to painting (landscapes, architecture, portraits, etc.) in seconds!

You can also improve your original photos with simple tools (enhance contrast, sharpen, simplify image, increase luminosity, colour saturation etc…) and add simple or realistic frames and text.

FotoSketcher is completely free (even for commercial use, if you wish to sell your pictures) and does not contain any adware, spyware or virus. It runs on Microsoft Windows XP, Vista, 7 and the latest Windows 8 and 8.1 (sorry, no Mac version available).
    ~ op cit

http://www.fotosketcher.com/

5. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Here's some of mine...
    Sandboxie
    Shadow Defender
    EXE Radar
    SecureAPlus
    CCleaner
    Everything
    ProcessTamer
    Unchecky
    Dns Angel
    KeePass
    SunsetScreen
    HostsMan
    EagleGet
    BurnAware
    AdGuard

6. TS4H

TS4H Registered Member

Apart from the obvious ones everybody on these forums knows and uses regularly. This is one that people might not know of, http://www.strand7.com/html/archive/galStruct.htm

Strand 7.

Is a finite element software used for engineering purposes to advise engineers on possible locations of weakness as well as maximum structural/material capacities at certain key locations, so that the section may be adequately designed. It can import and evaluate a civil model or mechanical components. Elements of ( 1 cubic mm) from the structure/component is analysed in 3 dimensions ( x,y,z ) to determine flexural stress capacity and concentrated load capacity. The software performs thousands of calculations per second and maps out in a visual colour scheme of where and what is occurring at every single 1 cubic mm (metric measurement) along the component. Red means large stress locations while blue means large compression locations).

The software performs the analysis via a matrix that can be thousands of rows and columns long hence why its called (Finite Element Analysis or FEA). How many cubic millimetres are there in 1 cubic meter for example? Then how many in a x storey building? or bridge It can apply a simulated or predetermined stress/strain induced by earthquake natural frequencies, harmonic frequencies (due to traffic over a bridge for example or pulses of wind gust), or general loads due the self weight and applied loads etc.

From here engineers are better able to predict and prevent failure mechanisms making the structure safer and more reliable. It will increase performance of the structure, use less materials while maintaining same strength, preventing an over conservative design that will likely exaggerate design and construction costs.

This software is widely used, and I have no doubt that you have come into contact with a component or structure designed by Strand on a regular basis.

I hope this has been an interesting read, not your typical Wilders Security post I know.

regards.

7. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

From a personal perspective, most of the really cool software I've used has been for the Commodore Amiga. Everything since then has been strictly utilitarian. Some of it it has been rather cool in that sense and done its job well but it's been only a job, not a passion. I'm doing business with it, not making art.

8. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

*whips out the Sega Master System 2*

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I agree to a point. I loved my Amiga 500, and I remember when I got mine in 1990 the local Amiga dealer was predicting the death of the PC in a few years. It's a real shame that PC is going stronger than ever and that Commodore went out of business years ago, in my opinion.

10. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes, I use it and really like it :thumb:

11. max2

max2 Registered Member

How do I get the .exe files of program within flashget to check for updates ?

12. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Click on Downloaded, and you will see a list of the all the files you have downloaded with FlashGet. If you right click on any file, there is a Check for update option.

What I've done, is create a new category called Update, and dragged any completed downloads I want to check for updates from Downloaded to Update. Then I can check for updates by clicking on Update, then left clicking on any download, then pressing Ctrl A to select all of the files, and then right clicking and selecting Check for update.

13. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

I am using the Premium version, and I haven't noticed anything...:eek: o_O

14. pb1

pb1 Registered Member

This - http://ejie.me/ - except RollBack Rx and Spotify of course !

Clover is just beautiful to work with !

Spotify with EQ.Pro - http://www.equalify.me/ - installed of course - otherwise Spotify is not anything special .

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  15. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

PatchMyPC - simple, lightweight software updater that I've really come to appreciate.

Teracopy - lets me queue up files/folders to copy, so it doesn't turn into a mess of competing file operations

TreeSizeFree - best and easiest program to show what is using diskspace. I find it easier than WinDirStat et al.

Bulk Rename Utility - very good file renamer, also a fun puzzle to try to bulk rename files with as few moves as possible

16. Daveski17

MPC-HC

MPC-HC is an extremely light-weight, open source media player for Windows®. It supports all common video and audio file formats available for playback. We are 100% spyware free, there are no advertisements or toolbars.

https://mpc-hc.org/

PhotoFiltre

PhotoFiltre is a complete image retouching program. It allows you to do simple or advanced adjustments to an image and apply a vast range of filters on it. It is simple and intuitive to use, and has an easy learning curve. The toolbar, giving you access to the standard filters with just a few clicks, gives PhotoFiltre a robust look.

http://www.photofiltre.com/

17. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

18. marzametal

Damn, must've just been me... argh lol

19. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

I like XYplorer (free) better than Total Commander and Multi-Commander

I just figured out yesterday, by accident, that when you rename a file in XYplorer, you can use the cursor UP and DOWN keys to edit other file names listed as if you were in a text editor. That is spiffy.

20. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Yes I experience this occasionally. I just do a reboot which seems to allow it to reset and work correctly again. It usually gives a red message when it is unable to encrypt.
    The version I use is Keyscrambler Premium 2.8.2.0

My coolest software (security/privacy) with XP Pro sp3

Perfect Combo, Shadow Defender in conjunction with
    Sandboxie
    Various Sandboxed browsers

Keyscrambler Premium
    Sygate Personal Firewall Pro 5.5
    Password Agent
    Blowfish Advanced CS
    Admuncher
    Secret Agent
    Adblock Plus
    Webroot's Window Washer 3.0 (Don't laugh :) I still use it every day and have done since it was first released).
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (on demand)
    Avast Pro (active protection)
    Mailwasher
    Eraser

(non-security/privacy)

Folder Guide
    Copy Path
    Killdocs
    injecturl
    Search and Replace
    Fastone Capture

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  21. marzametal

Cheers for the confirmation mate... the ones I tried out were all in the 3.x range, also Premium.

22. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

As an amateur astronomer I find Stellarium pretty cool.

23. bberkey1

bberkey1 Registered Member

24. Daveski17

25. marzametal

On Win7 x64...is there an app out there that displays boot sequence... eg: a way to see which app makes use of kernel first...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.