What's it doing when it's not in use ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sir gerald, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sir gerald

sir gerald Registered Member

Ever since I installed the trial version of TI 10.0 my system has been running extremely slow.
    There's a lot of background activity going on ... constant disk activity even when it's sitting idle.

It reminds me of Norton ... a real resource hog.

Well ... I'm assuming it's Acronis, since it started after the install and nothing else has changed.

I noticed it added 3 items to to my startup menu.

So what is it doing in the background when it's not in use ?

~

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

Actually what it adds use very little resources. See these links for services that are added and running in the background https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=115641 and https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=127446. I have TI 9 and nothing has been added to my startup menu. Use Task manager to see what is using your resources. It almost sounds like you may have spyware running.

3. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

If you don't plan to do any automated scheduled backups, you can uncheck those three items in your startup. In fact, if you will only be using the basic Backup, Recover and Clone functions, you can create the bootable CD, uninstall the software, and use the CD for these functions - but you will have to buy the full software as the trial version of the CD will not do Backup, only Recover.

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

I think that's "will only do Backup and not Recover" isn't it.

5. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Could be right ... I know it's one or the other but never sure which way it is. ;)

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

From an earlier Acronis post:

"Please note that the trial version has only the one limitation: you cannot create backup from Acronis bootable CD."

This lets you restore any backup made during the 15 day period that the Windows portion is operational.

7. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Thanks, I had forgotten that the CD won't do backups which would be giving the program away since the CD could be tricked into working forever.

8. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

You should check CPU/memory usage in task manager to discover what is going on. However note, that just because a process is resident in memory does not mean it is having to consume lots of CPU cycles. OS APIs such as Win32 can allow process threads to park up until needed without consuming any perceptable CPU resource.

F.

9. sir gerald

sir gerald Registered Member

Thanks for all the info.

For now I just wanted to see how the disk clone worked. :thumb:

~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.