Whats going to happen now that symantec launches ghost 9?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Turbomcp, Aug 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turbomcp

Turbomcp Guest

hi
    i am a truly acronis true image fan
    hate to say it,but i never had problems with it,always worked like acharm(maybe its my hardware dont know:))

i only have one question:

whats going to happen now that symantec is launching ghost 9 with online snapshot and incremental backups:(
    is it going to be the end of true image?:(
    or are you planning acounter attack with a new rebust product?:)

i work in one of the biggest(if not no.1:) hardware companies
    and we are thinking of recomending your product to customers(server version)
    so i would really appreciate an answer
    thanks

2. ws123

ws123 Guest

i´ll give ghost 9.0 a try.
    true image 8.0.768, i´ve bought online do not work.
    every image of my hd is titled "corrupted archive".
    every try to burn a image-cd of my hd is ending with "bad media" popup!
    till now i lost my money buying a software which do not work and loosing a lot cd´s.
    trueimage 6.0 and 7.0.584 worked fine.
    from one day to another on the same pc-system the brandnew versions of true image do not work anymore!
    i´m not expecting from updates to be a worse solution, it should be an improvement and a more of value for your money - what i got for my money is software not working at all!!
    i´m wondering if there will be a quick solution by acronis or if i have to migrate to ghost!

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

We may be warned by the Mods on talking about Ghost in the Acronis forum, but that being said, the new version 9.0 of Ghost is a major redo of Ghost which somehow incorporates Drive Image that Symantec obtained when they bought out Powerquest. This may very well mean that the new version of Ghost will also have its own growing pains and may have problems at first. The last version of Drive Image that Ghost is merging with Ghost had plenty of its own problems and I hear, but have not had a chance to personally experience, that Symantec tech support is pretty bad. Imaging your hard drive use to be a fairly straight forward process, but the pass couple of years it seems to have gotten a little messy. Could it be because all these imaging programs are trying to now image your drive without using DOS?

Acadia

4. presrc

presrc Registered Member

Yes Acadia - Imaging from Windows and the proliferation of new interfaces for storage devices.

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I am having a hard time figuring out why everyone seems to think the Acronis forum is a "free-for-all" lately with the posts that simply do not belong there.

Anyway, before I drift off topic myself - this thread has been moved to the much more fitting "software and services" forum.

6. Onebyte

Onebyte Registered Member

I'm just a user, but I got Acronis TI because I already have Ghost 8 (2003) and it won't work at all with my external usb 2 devices. Acronis does, so far as I can tell.

I plan to use Acronis for regular and incremental backups and computer migration and keep an occasional backup image in ghost just for added safety.

Most of the complaints I've seen here (not all) appear to be due to either user inexperience or poor manual instructions. For example, most of the problems I've seen (and originally experienced myself) with backing up to a DVD or CD disk have two solutions.

1) Format the disk for data first -- the manual says to insert "blank" disk and that is incorrect.

2) First saving the image to a hard drive and then copying it to a CD/DVD disk. Way more reliable, if only because you are not relying on Acronis to write to the cd/dvd drive, but using your regular OS and/or CD/DVD writing software.

If Aconis won't recognize the disk to make a bootable recovery disk that's a legitimate problem that Acronis needs to address, and there are obviously others.

However, Norton/Symantec has no forum like this for people to voice their complaints -- they wouldn't DARE!!! They even stopped supporting their Symantec/Norton newsgroups. You can't get a question answered ANYWHERE by Norton unless their automated answer system addresses it - and it never does. Or unless you pay them 30 bucks a pop to hear them say they can't help you. I've been using Norton/Symantec for over 15 years and every year I get more disgusted with their programs and support. I'm going elsewhere from now on.

Final thoughts, since Symantec took over Powerquest Drive Image (it was a decent program, or company) I expect that to go downhill just the way Norton has.

I've got a list of complaints and gripes about Norton almost as long as those about Microsoft.

Onebyte

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

:cool:

LOL!! Amen, Amen.

Acadia

8. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Onebyte,

Well, it's about time someone spoke up with ATI that actually worked!
    I was beginning to wonder. :D
    I'm sure there are many other happy customers of ATI out there. They just don't make noise if there are no problems.
    I just wish that Acronis (Symantec too) would allow a full time limited trial rather than the partial one they allow now. With so many variables in a user's configuration one has to test the restore feature to truly test if it is compatible.
    They should inform customers of the potential hardware incompatibilities beforehand as well. Otherwise they will have a lot of angry customers.

I have reservations about the Drive Image/Ghost merger as well. I had bad experiences (similar to current ATI users) with Drive Image 1 - 2.x and haven't used it since. It was at that time I moved to Ghost.
    So when Symantec claims "Ghost, now with Drive Image Technology!" It does not have the intended effect on me!

I have had only good experiences with Ghost. With version 8 (2003) full support of NTFS, no required boot disk, and creating bootable CD images, it meets all my current needs. Although I am only imaging and restoring to and from HD and CD so I have not run into the external USB drive issues you experienced.

An upgrade is not always a good thing. I'll wait and see.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  9. tom_servo

tom_servo Guest

"incorporates Drive Image"? Ghost 9 IS Drive Image. Symantec is now apparently heavily into the business of buying out smaller companies and destroying their product lines leaving loyal customers in the dust. They did it with the first Ghost and now they're doing it with Drive Image. They've done that to countless other products. It's hard to find an "original" product from Symantec as to them innovation means acquisition.

10. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Well said. Symantec is no longer innovating. Look at Norton AV........... :'(

And i heard Ghost 9 need .Net installed as well. :mad:

11. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

SYMANTEC is the equivalent of bloatware. So so software with lousy support. Don't wast your $ on this companies. Too many good alternatives out there. I don't support companies with mandatory activation unless there is no other alternative.

12. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Just to let you know, Drive Image 2002 works perfectly under SP2. It was the last of the Powerquest builds and was/is a solid application.

John
    Luv2BSecure

13. thill

thill Registered Member

14. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Drive Image 4 works fine with WXP SP2, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.