What's going on with bitdefender 2008?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by kinwolf, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kinwolf

kinwolf Registered Member

*this might feel like a rant, but it's more a question of what's going on*

I am getting fed up with BD 2008 as it is. I have been using BD since version 9,was very pleased with it, renewed my licence last year until the end of 2009 and only had minor issues with those versions that where solved in an acceptable timeframe. Then the 2008 line came along and all went down...

2 major bugs that affect and really bothers me are : Updates still hanging and vsserv.exe crashing sometimes after an updates(that one sends a report about the crash).

Support at this moment is one of the worst I have ever seen, there is a total lack of follow-up on your issues on their side. You have no idea if they closed your ticket or not, heck, on 2 bugs I don't even know if they opened a ticket as I got no reply at all! One bug report was answered to ask me for some files and then silence again. I replied after a week a half to ask if there was any updates on that problem and was left without any answer once more. Is there so many bugs reported that the support team is overflowed? What is going on there?

It doesn't help that it left 2 virus received by email pass by(KIS caught them on my GF machine, one of her friend was infected). One was added since then to the database, I guess it's only a matter of days for the second one, but still... ombined with the rest it's frustrating and with vsserv crashing I don't really feel secure right now, a first since I installed BD 2 years ago.

Anyone else having issues with the current BD 2008 or is it only me?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  2. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Yes I have had a number of issues and no solutions given

1) Phishing protection not working on IE V7 with Vista home premium (Not urgent as IE has own Phishing protection)

2) Case of automatic updates being updated but NOT being installed (Untill computer rebooted) althrough there is no warning about this (Urgent email sent with all screen dump info sent as requested from Bitdefender) but no response to date (Over 2 weeks ago now)

3) I bought a 2 year 2 user licence for BD ISS 2008 and it seems to run ok on my desk top but the laptop has never been happy with it on (Bitdefender would freeze, slow connection and would not uninstall and thuse had to use uninstall program)

4) Updater would not update straight away when connected (Normally a good 10 mins after working on the computer)

I have resorted back to Avast which runs so sweetly (Although I know Detection is no where near as good as Bitdefender) but at the end of the day my computer works!

On the plus points I think Bitdefender has excellent heuristics and good and quick response to new threats (In the samples I have sent them) and I hope once the bugs are sorted these will be rectified.

But yes I agree the support is lacking. The live support is OK but with all the problems I have reported it has been transfered to email support and have a ticket raised asking me to run a few files and send in some info (Screen dumps) which I do and then never hear anything again!

Good luck

Jlo

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I was running a trial of BD 2008 on one of my images. It was running just fine for several days. Then, on 9/26/2007, BD automatically installed some sort of a major update. It required a reboot. After that, the automatic update began failing.

As far as I could tell, a BD updater file named livesvr.exe had disappeared from the active processes listed on Task Manager. I manually re-activated it & rebooted. The file was still there after the reboot, & BD auto-updated just fine. So I figured the issue was maybe a momentary cyberfart. Later I checked, & auto update again was failing. I looked at Task Manager & saw that livesvr.exe was again missing in action.

If I had licensed this AV I would have pursued the issue with BD support. However, I have a very low threshhold for "issues" when using a trial. Therefore, I have dumped BD for now. I might give it another trial in 6 months or so.

4. Malcontent

Malcontent Registered Member

I was having the same problem with updates failing to install. Once the install fails, BD stops updating entirely until reboot. No warning or notice. If you didn't open BD and check, you wouldn't know there was a problem.

I got a really good deal on on a 2 year, 2 user license from Ebay, $17 U.S. Was running good for a few weeks until this problem started. I love BD detection, heuristics and hourly updates (nearly 24/7). But this update problem has became too much. BD 2008 needed too much baby sitting to ensure it was updating and running correctly.

I've since went back to Dr. Web. Which as always, updates flawlessly.

I'm going to wait and see if BD can get their act together.

5. druidvev

druidvev Registered Member

Hello all,

A fix for this issue is expected at the begining of the next week. Please contact the BitDefender support team about your problems (support at bitdefender.com), so they can get all the info they need to properly solve it.

Use these tools: http://kb.bitdefender.com/KB389-en--Asking-for-assistance.html, to gather the info required by the support team.

--
    v

6. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Good to here a fix is on the way.

Thanks

Jlo

PS Logs, screen dumps as asked for by bitdefender have already been sent when I first raised the support tickets.

7. bellgamin

As I read BD's forum, they have *issues* much too often. Why don't they fully test their program changes before they release them, instead of dealing with *issues* after the fact?

BD 2008 acts more like a beta than a final release.

The worst thing is that BD 2008 can be broken, but its icon in the system tray gives NO indication of that fact. Thus the user is left completely unaware of the fact that his/her computer is totally unprotected by BD. To me, this is a critical and unacceptable shortfall in any security software. :thumbd:

8. kinwolf

A fix next week is fine :thumb: but why oh why didn't we get any kind of updates to our tickets saying so. :thumbd:

9. Malcontent

If you would, please post a message in this thread when the fix is released. I've uninstalled BD. When the fix is released I'll reinstall and give it another try.

10. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Yes, I was in the middle of a 30 day trial of BD AV 2008 after my subcription lapsed. Having hit these issues during the trial I bailed and went to trial the next AV product on my list. NOD 32.

Suggest, you get an AV on you PC asap any from the top of the AV comparatives would be candidates. AntiVir (free?) But you no doubt have done that already.

11. Malcontent

I went back to Dr. Web. It's nice to run an antivirus that updates flawlessly, again. I took for granted Dr. Webs reliability and stability. I've never had a problem with Dr. Web. A few false positives which were quickly fixed, that's all.

I hope BD fixes the bugs in BD 2008. Perhaps they should run longer beta programs. People complain about the length of Dr. Web's beta cycles but they do produce stable releases. BD just needs to iron out the bugs in their software. Their detection, heuristics, and update frequency are fantastic. BD 2008 also is light on resources. All that is what attracted be to BD 2008.

12. Escalader

Yes, I liked their detection, heuristics and update frequency and went with BD for those very reasons that you did.

Now this mess:'(

IMHO, BD has slipped in the direction of trying to become a suite and lost sight of their base of clients.

13. Davidpr

Davidpr Registered Member

I agre. I have given up and gone back to Avast until BD is stable.

14. Escalader

Good, at least you have plan B! :thumb:

Many non members of Wilder's may not and just suffer! (or have no AV)

I think I will run Kav's web based scan 1/ week during the trial period, can't hurt!

15. bellgamin

DrWeb --- yes Yes YES!!!

I get the feeling that antivirus outfits like Softwin (BitDefender) and Avira put their best programmers on the antivirus engines, heuristics, etc, and then use rookies & newly-hired programmers to do *mundane stuff* like write update routines. At DrWeb, EVERYTHING is done by first stringers -- all the way.

By the time BD gets this mess sorted out, my 30-day trial will be over. I don't know how long they make you wait before allowing another trial period, but I would guess it's at least 6 months. :doubt:

Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  16. Escalader

That is their problem not mine. I don't care if they do that or not. Once I set on a new AV to subscribe to I won't open up for replacements until it lapses. Then and only then would other AV's be considered.

I'm not waiting for vendors to get their acts together. When they do fine that will be known, here!

17. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

I'm die hard. But now a nice BSOD:

due to bdselfpr.sys

w/o words ...

Mike

18. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I don't think that there are that many people who will go to that extreme and use BD or bust. The only program that I think they will be "stuck with" would be the Operating System. Everything else should be optional.

I guess that would OK if you don't mind the Object IDs being added to your file structure.;)

19. Escalader

Hi ccsito:

I agree not many members here! My thought were with the public! Yes, we do need a OS for sure. I wish that the OS could be "perfect" and hard wired not in software at all! But not in this century!

Tell me a bit about these Object id's in the file structure. It seems you think they are a risk. Haven't done the Kav yet, I'm waiting to know more now.

20. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

A long thread to read my friend :)

21. kinwolf

KAV web scan does not add object ID as it does not use ISwift

Well, I received the update to livesrv today, gonna monitor it to see if it fix the update problem at least. vsserv crashed again though.

22. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I find a huge amount of bugs in BitDefender 2008, and it is absolutely NOT funny that its web filtering and parental control features are trigger happy enough to block the comparatives page of the AV-comparatives site. I found that so unfair.

I don't know if they fixed this nonsensical behaviour now, but the blocking of AV-comparatives was the last straw for me combined with the ridiculous number of bugs in the product. I have uninstalled it and do not intend to go back to it anytime soon (BitDefender IS)

23. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

I unistalled BD AV due to upgrading problems, BSOD, Outlook 2003 hang-up (every time I start it up, I've to restart my laptop.)

So I unistalled BD AV and reinstalled: no differences.
    SO definitively uninstalled. And now I'm w/ AVIRA AV 90days promo. My PC is kissing me, for this.
    My combo is ZAP, AVIRA AV and WinPatrol.

Mike :)

24. Escalader

I hope BD appreciates the beta testing efforts you guys are investing. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info on KAV I'll run the web scan.
    Sometimes assumptions are made honestly but it is best to double check!

I think BD has a web scan? Is it using the BD AV 2008 logic/signatures?

25. Escalader

Vendors blocking sites which compare and evaluate or claim to, is not new!

It is still unacceptable, but it could be an error!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.