whats a good RAM free-er and what are pitfalls

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by winterlord, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winterlord

winterlord Registered Member

i was wondering if there is any pitfalls to using a memory tool to free up ram ect. i am using windows 7 x32bit and wondered does anyone know of any good free or paid, (free prefferably) memory free-ers/boosters or whatever.

thanks
    winter

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

"Pitfalls", not really. They just plain don't work. You're also using Win 7, which does a tremendous job of handling memory, unlike its predecessors. There are two ways to take care of RAM issues: 1. Use programs that consume less. 2. Add more RAM. Honestly if you feel the need to trim memory, then you need to do the exact opposite.

3. winterlord

well i ment a program that could free up ram due to somthing like doing alot of reading and opening and closing losts of web browsers and not rebooting the computer for weeks at a time.

thanks
    winter

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

At least ram "Free-ers" does works a bit IMO, you may get some lag in the beginning because sometimes they free ram that is being used by programs and the programs starts building their files again.
    Anyways, i don't think they can really harm your PC. ;) (At least not in my experience, i used those a few years ago)

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

CleanMem is the best one that works. No lag experienced at all.

For all naysayers, just try it, then you'll see what I'm talking about.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

CleanMem was what I used when I didn't know better. I couldn't think of the name in my earlier post. But, as said, just try it. Then, watch the "cleaned" programs grab that memory right back a few minutes later.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Regarding browsers, there is such a thing as "memory leaks", which is a result of poor design. The only thing you can do about that is choose another browser. Not rebooting for weeks at a time? I do that, my system is never rebooted unless for Windows updates or a program install requires it. I can go months without a single reboot, and my memory consumption stays the same. A tab bit over a gigabyte at restart, maybe a little over two gigabytes when watching online videos and surfing other sites..at the same time.

Again, you don't need to "clean memory", you need more. If you've got at least 2Gb of RAM, you should never need to "release" any. Unless, of course, you're editing in the newest Photoshop while downloading torrents and watching online movies ;)

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

That depends on the program and cleaned memory. Since you've tried it, you know that it works.

9. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

+1 for CleanMem (1.7.0)

10. winterlord

hmm, well i just recently re-did my pc so i dont really think of being hit by a virus however,

my pc always uses 3gb plus of ram. i have 6gb installed i decided not to edit the page file cause something seems to use a good bit of it too.

iv redid pc several times and this seems to be the norm

any thoughts

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

If you have new OS'es (Vista & 7), the MORE RAM you have, the MORE RAM Windows will use, it's because they cache more things to make your Windows experience faster, smoother. (Also because it uses less virtual memory which is very slow compared to real RAM)
    BUT this doesn't means the OS uses lots of ram all the time, when the system is under high workload (Hardcore gaming, editing etc.) Windows will cut down the ram usage to minimum.

12. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    CleanMem is good and it's free, but installing more RAM Memory to your system is a way 300% more better if you want real noticeable performance. :cool:

13. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Windows 7 32 bit can only use just over 3 gig of ram.If you have 6 installed then its probably wasted.Just upgrade to 64 bit to get the full potential of your ram.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2008/07/21/3092070.aspx
    ellison

14. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

15. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

16. ShaneR34

ShaneR34 Registered Member

As has been said already, with Win 7 any memory management tool is useless. For those that use them without issue, well that's fine...we probably won't convince you otherwise ;)

Win 7 manages memory as it should be managed. It will use what it needs and allocate as it should. Again, if you see it is using x amount of memory, a lot of that will be cached for better performance, but released if something else needs it. Unused memory is wasted memory.

In your case, as has been recommended already, upgrading to 64 bit is the best you can do. 6gb in a 32bit system is a waste as it will not be used.

But, don't take our word for it...do some research :)

17. winterlord

yes im aware of the 4gb barrier i actualy re-did my pc the other day with 32bit because i was wondering if somthing in the x64 was just chewing up memory but im getting similiar results

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Lol, I have no idea how you managed to take my post as an agreement with you, but it's fine. And no, it doesn't work. "Works" means it does as advertised and keeps it that way. Not that it "cleans memory", only to have the memory pile right back up a couple of minutes later. You like the program and seem to have deemed it worthy, more power to you.

19. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

20. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If you've got 3 or 4 gigs or ram on a Win 7 machine, then you should never have any problems. If you are, then some program probably has a bad memory leak and you're losing it that way. Try to find that app, and switch to something else. Or use CleanMem occasionally as needed. I have 4 gigs ram and have never in years come even close to using that up.

21. ShaneR34

ShaneR34 Registered Member

That's because you're seeing windows manage the memory correctly in both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions.

OR you do have a program that is leaking memory. Use the process explorer to determine if that's the case, as suggested.

Memory in Windows 7 is a set-it-and-forget-it experience unless a program is doing something it shouldn't. In which case, you get rid of the program.

22. winterlord

i use internet explorer mainly, i can open 10tabs at a time on 2 different windows so id assume that east my memory constantly opening and closing new tabs anyone find it true that internet explorer eats memory?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.