what's a good adblocking hosts file?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

what's a good adblocking hosts file? thanks

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

when i did use a HOSTS file, i relied on MVPS Hosts. i like it because its small and it doesnt have many "false positives". some HOSTS like bluetack block too much.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, i'm wasn't too sure which one to use because i only want to use it for adblocking on Linux. i installed bluetack a couple of days ago and so far it seems OK. i'm using Privoxy too. i think i'm going to try importing the firefox adblock filter set into Privoxy, in the 'filter file'

4. WSFuser

have u tried running proxomitron on wine? it may slowdown browsing but i find it very good for ad blocking.

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

yes, i have got proxomitron too. but, what i'm hoping to use is adblock with Privoxy :cool:

6. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Hostsman contains also a host file called "Block Adverts" along with hpHosts, MVPS Hosts and Mike's Hosts.
    I wished there was Virusman too for loading definition databases, like KAV, NOD32, McAfee, BitDefender, ...
    Stop dreaming ErikAlbert and stay on topic. :)

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Read the topic title carefully & literally. Evidently the goal is to find a hosts file for blocking good ads.:cool:

But seriously folk, I add my recommendation to those who already have suggested MVPS. Or use a firewall that has adblocking capability (such as Outpost).

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i deleted windows, i've only got Linux :D do you know what the last site on the list is that hostsman will automatically update from, i think it's the Block Ads one? i think the first three are under one category, then the last one is an adblocking hosts file. i might be wrong though :cautious:

9. WSFuser

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

yeah, i like you too.

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.