What would Opera's "Fit to width" be in SeaMonkey?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by act8192, Aug 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Sometimes, on some web pages, words want to fall off the page and zoom- or scrolling at the bottom are rarely convenient for me.
    I wonder if there a setting in SeaMonkey equivalent to Opera's Fit-to-width, the little arrow in the bottom right corner.

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I don't think that there is a direct equivalent, but once you have chosen a zoom setting for a particular page (Ctrl + -) it always remembers it for that page. I think Phil Chee developed this for SM.

Plus check out Edit - Preferences - Appearance - Content. You can set to zoom only text & not full pages.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  3. act8192

Arrgghh - So sad. it didn't work. With ctrl- it does zoom till it's unreadable, but it doesn't show me everything on a page. Opera's fit-to-width does.
    I know I'm imposing on you, but could you try it for me on, for example, these two sites
    http://www.thriveforums.org/forum/forum.php
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
    but not in a huge, maximized, SeaMonkey window. Instead try something smaller, where you can see the text and buttons are cutoff, and then try to fit to width somehow.
    Perhaps you can tell which other settings to use.

4. Daveski17

Are you sure this isn't a monitor resolution problem that you are having? I don't seem to have any trouble seeing everything on the two links you posted, even on my notebook. It was not until I reduced the window by several centimetres that I noticed any real problems. I just don't think you are going to get the equivalent to Opera's fit to width & even then I could read the forum posts.

5. act8192

Thanks. Interesting.
    My laptop screen resolution is 1280 x 800.
    This is a screenshot from 1015 x 537 according to snagit. It is about 10cm reduction.
    The pink text doesn't fit, buttons in the upper right not there...
    FitToWidth4.jpg
    What do you think?

Edit: In Opera I just was at 750 width, no issues, pink text got wrapped, all buttons visible.

6. Daveski17

I suppose it depends on how small you have the window. This is on a 39 centimetre (around fifteen & a half inches) laptop with the SeaMonkey window small enough to show the sidebar on Windows Vista. Maybe you should close the browser sidebar (F9 show/hide) on yours?

SM1screenshotPEG.jpg

7. act8192

Thanks again, I'll continue trying, but it looks discouraging. Especially as I read this, and several similar complaints/requests, from as far back as 6 years ago, unresolved to this day
    https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=276166
    comments 2, 4, 8, 16 are right on the money and include few new words such as "reflow"

I guess Opera programmers are (or were) better than SeaMonkey programmers :(

BTW, sidebar has no effect. I have it tiny, and yes at some width it'll help, including what I posted, but really, it's not that.

8. Daveski17

The trouble with the SeaMonkey Council is that they seem to fear change & don't want to move on too much from Netscape Navigator. I agree that Opera's 'fit to width' was very useful on some sites, but I can't think of any other browser that implemented anything similar. The trend now is to make browsers simpler & simpler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.