what would be best firewall for roun ord 150 or under

Discussion in 'hardware' started by winterlord, Apr 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winterlord

winterlord Registered Member

I don't have many needs for it I only use one coputer however I may in the future if even possible get a laptop that will use the resources of the main pc to do the processing then itbe on my latop for mobility maybe VMware idk but nyways

when it comes to firewalls I don't mind payin a little extra, my budget is tight but I don't have a routher at moment old one broke and was waty out dated. I download stuff with utorrent a video game but the main thing is security and id lie somthion a little better thena standered 30dollar netgear router. looking for a good router and its ok if it is wired

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  2. chimpsgotagun

chimpsgotagun Registered Member

My choice was Asus RT-N56U, but you might want to consider using OpenWrt/DD-WRT
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices
    I'll prolly try that too with my cheap Buffalo.

Using that, buying some cheaper Asus was mentioned as a good choice (all the features aren't prolly supported with dd-wrt).

3. winterlord

I don't know what features if any are new since I last used hardware firewall, not sure what to make of that link I was thinkin like a hardware firewall and id assume they sell um on newegg just not sure wich ones good and wich one your payin more for vpns then security. don't think I need any vpn's just all the good featurs that might be on a corporate or small business firewall

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  4. winterlord

ic, well im not setting up a very big network I like to use hardwire mostly but wireless for a laptop or 2. I use to have a cisco small business rvs4000 till it just quit. it had a feature called application anomaly detection and a few others you don't normaly find on a router. not sure the significance it played but the network is gonna be basic network don't need vpn but guess i'll just read up on any new technologies in the past 3yrs if any

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.