What will be the future of AV market?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by rOadToIS, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rOadToIS

rOadToIS Registered Member

I've noticed that some AVs are kind of evolving into HIPS and behavior blocking software. I also think traditional antivirus(signature based) software can't keep up with all the malwares that are constantly created. So, what do you think the future of AV market would be? Do you have any ideas what kind of technology they are going to use to keep up with infinitely growing malwares?

2. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

You are talking about the future, yet you see very short..ANYONE should wait till the win 7 beta come out (RTM edition should be out somewhere near summer).Vista took the game to a new level itself..so the "future of av market" should be the one to adjust itself to the probable weak parts of the "future" OS.
    E.g Vista obliterated software that simulated LUA conditions and introduced outbound firewall,who know what will its succesor bring out.So far only good words are being told

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I think the future is fine as long as they adapt. We need to quit thinking of Eset, Norton, F-Secure and etc, etc as antivirus vendors. They are companys that are going to incorporate whatever technology is needed to move forward and remain profitable.

One day, the term, "Antivirus software" may be obsolete entirely, but that doesnt mean these vendors wont be making products. Go with who you are comfortable with for now and has vision for the future.I did.;)

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I can also say that I know of 5 AV vendors that will be likely belly up this time next year because they do not have the resources needed to accomplish this. But I wont, as I see the "Time-out room " man is here.:D

5. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

The future?

Well, Eventually we will drop computers, and start something else, just like Radio's transition to TV's so the future of Anti-virus will be totally different then we can think of.

6. 3xist

3xist Guest

HIPS is the future, But as always (at the moment) you should have a layered Security solution: Prevention, Detection & Cure. But depends how HIPS evolve in the next 5 or 10 years.

7. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I'd expect HIPS to develop advanced AI in order to 'reason' what is or not a threat using inbuilt expert knowledge.

8. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i see apps like defensewall becoming a BIG hit

9. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Personally, it will become a bigger market. Not sure about competitive as new ones will be more in challenge to garner the market share. The current big guns and old-timers will still be in business as well as the AV researchers and analysts. :)

They will be funded well and just wish most of them could be more "open" and "friendly to-talk-to" like the PREVX crew. :argh:

As long as the thing is easy to use, affordable and does its job, plenty of $$$ for the placebo AV. :cool:

Off Topic: I keep looking back at Toyota's. So economical and parts are more available than the European version here in the island.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

IMO, Sandboxes/virtualization & imaging will be the main guts of security in the foreseeable future. One of the major outfits with deep pockets (e.g., M$, Symantec, etc) would be wise to buy out SBIE & DW, & put Tsuk & Ilya under long-term contract. At the moment, SBIE & DW are lightyears ahead of any AV or Suite that I know of.

11. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Yes, and I think MS will move in the same direction. We already see some virtualization in Vista and I'm sure it will be improved in W7.

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If Symantec bought out SBIE, I'd find something else.

13. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well symantec bought out pc tools and they havent ruined that yet, so maybe not (hopefully):p

14. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

The future is HIPS? I bet the DnsChanger authors would have a good chuckle if they read this statement... :blink:

15. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Some would argue the job was already done when Symantec aquired it.;)

16. xpsunny

xpsunny Registered Member

M$ will convert Live One care to an absolutely free version in 2nd half of 2009. ;)

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=227654

17. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Aha, especially taking into account any top HIPS solutions will definitely block it out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.