What were you running last time you got hacked?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Gullible Jones, Apr 22, 2013.

?

What security software were you using last time you were hacked?

1. None

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  2. Antivirus/antimalware

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  3. Instant system rollback/light virtualization

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. HIPS/anti-executable

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. Sandboxie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Noscript/Scriptsafe/other script blocker

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. EMET

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

A number of people report the years 2003-04 as being their first encounter with malware. Not a coincidence.

2. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Good point. That seems to be a watershed era for the malware landscape.

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Never been hacked.:)

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

In over 15 years I have never been hacked. My normal anti virus applications are approximately as my sig indicates.
    Jerry

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I have been compromised, it was in the years 2002-03. VBS_Redlof, missed entirely by Norton, caught by PC-cillin. PC-cillin missed something much more sinister: The Briss Keylogger; which was caught and cleanly and properly removed by McAfee, something no other AV I tried did at the time. That's when I developed some respect for McAfee - they had the best malware cleaning at that time (in my experience). In 2004 there were some minor backdoors that eScan caught (it then used Kaspersky's engine).

There were times I almost got infected in later years; mostly I think 2006-07 (the ANI exploit was a close shave). As far as close shaves are concerned I have one regularly as I deal a lot with infected files these days.

6. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Nothing but Mcafree Internet Security on a 98SE box using AOL through dial up. I knew absolutely nothing about security other than that whenever I saw a prompt about a virus I was to quarantine the thing then delete it later.

Maybe a couple antispyware apps too like AOL Antispyware & Microsoft Antispyware (before Windows Defender... with the bullseye symbol).

It only took like a half hour to reformat my box so I did it like every few days... lol.

Once I got high speed and a router, learned how to set it up, and started using real AV's like Avira (very good/light product back in the day)... that was pretty much the end of the line.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.