Okay so I got the latest Acronis Disc Director Suite and since I've never used it to partion anything at all I decided to first try it on a USB External drive before trying it on my brand new computer hard drive with Vista, where I am going to want to create 4 partitions. So.... I read the help files and I decided that the first thing I would do is re-partition my 160GB Seagate Hard drive in the following manner: I had 3 partitions there already, let's call them E, F and G. E was almost out of space and I wanted to increase the space on that partition so I used the Automatic mode in Acronis and I told it to 1) take about 3 gigs of space from F and add it to E. Then I ran the Wizard again and told it to 2) take about 3 gigs of space from G and add it to E. Then I "committed" to the Operation and it asked me to re-start so I did. Seems simple enough and I thought this would be a fairly easy and straightforeward task to test Acronis with. I watched Acronis begin to do its thing and watched the progress report at the bottom of the screen. It seemed to do everything fine but then when it got to screen 3 (it said "Operation 3 of 5"), it said this: "Changing partition parameters HD #2 NTFS Drive F Size 28GB Current Operation Progress: Operation Error. Invalid Partition Size. Total Progress 45%" This was after about 10 minutes. I didn't even know what to do. I had never used the program and nothing I read said in the Help file said what to do in case of an error like this and it was just sitting there doing nothing now. So I closed my eyes and hoping nothing would blow up, I hit Escape. That seemed to do it. It put the Computer into a restart mode and then when it started, it had a window telling me that I needed to restart because new hardware had been added. (?) No new hardware was added!) So I restarted and then I looked for my drives under My Computer. I was horrified to see that my new Toshiba drive which I did nothing at all to, had disappeared, and my Seagate drive which I had just tried to increase partiton size on one partition, had disappeared from My Computer and from Safely Remove Hardware. I went into Computer Mgmt and they did not appear there, either. Actually ONE partition of the Seagate appeared there but had no letter next to it. And also another drive (I have 3 Ext's) also had no letter next to it, though all showed as healthy but did not show up in the My Computer folder, only here under Computer Management. And I could not open the Toshiba drive folder up in any manner. I used the Safely Remove Hardware to turn off all my ext. drives and then unplugged them all, then plugged them all back in. Now they showed up under Computer Management but still not under My Computer. I decided to manually assign drive letters to the drives and partitions (which they had before but now no longer had). So I did that, and now, thank goodness, they all reappeared both in My Computer and in Computer Management. Whew! But.... now I am totally scared of using Acronis on my new HP 750 gig hard drive. All I want to do there is basically create a 100 gig area for Vista and programs, then a 25 gig partition for ripping and burning and processing dowloads, a 40gig area for Vista back up using an image (that's plenty big, right?) and the rest of the drive would be just for archiving movies and music and documents, plus photos etc.. I'll still use my external drives for backups too. So I wonder, what the heck went wrong with the Acronis operation? I thought it was designed for this work, and I used the Automatic mode because I figured it would be designed to work right and I wouldn't be able to screw it up by going manual. Nothing "blew up" but it sure did give me a scare. So I guess my question is, Is it at all clear what went wrong? If I knew what went wrong I might feel confident in using it on my new computer, like if I knew that I did a particular thing wrong, so I could avoid doing that next time. But if I can't figure out what went wrong and why, then I think I'll just get and try another partition program instead. I sure don't want to start off my new computer set up by having some kind of weird nightmare with Acronis Disc Director Suite! Thanks for bearing with this long post and giving me feedback. p.s. Is it important that I do this partitioning as soon as I set up my new computer with Vista Premium Home 64bit, or is it just as easy and efficient to do it later after I get up and running? Further info I left out: I am using XP SP2 I used Automatic mode in Acronis All drives were/are NTFS Alll drives were present and accounted for both in My Computer and in Disc Mgmt with Drive Letters before I did the partitioning. The Acronis operation not only took away the letters for 2 out of 3 of the drives, it also made my Toshiba drive, which I did nothing to, disappear completely from the computer (My Comp. and Disc Mgmt.) The final result of the partitioning operation is that it did nothing. I had ordered it to take about 3 gigs from each of the 2 partitons and add it to Drive E (3rd partition). Drive E now only shows 1.5 gigs free so I am pretty sure that is what it had in the beginning. If it had added 3 gigs each it would now have at least 6 gigs available.