what was the worst thing that happend to your computer, and did you fix it?

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by GUI_Tex, Feb 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GUI_Tex

GUI_Tex Registered Member

Internet Explorer Browser hijacks, spyware thats been there for years and hidden toolbars, and a couple of viruses/malware that made me computer unbootable.. I got the browser hijacks out, and all that and brought one hd back to life, the other is still appending to be fixed. :oops:

2. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    In the past. The first thing was that when I tried to open one of the spam mail in my email...after clicking it, my monitor suddenly flashes wildly and turned into blue screen and then after a minute or so its back to normal and my AVG-6 anti-virus (that's what I am using in the past I now use Avast Home) immediately reacted and scans, then it found out several viruses. Its a very nervous wrecking experience to me coz I thought that my pc will explodes anytime.. i don't know then why it happens that way. And now I'm more careful not to open those suspected emails in my inbox. :oops:

Then also when I try to install some popular software programs, it causes BSOD. It happens for about 4 times already but thanks xp is very advance enough to saved my pc. I have to remove those programs from my system. :'(

Also, when i played some heavy graphics games installed on my pc... for several hours... then it suddenly hangs. Everything freezes and I could not move or click anything on the screen. I turn-off my pc and then restarted but still I cannot re-boot my pc, only black screen was present. I was nervous then that i might lose everything on my drive if i reformat coz i didn't expect it that way. I have to unplug my pc to cool it down. But then after several hours i tried starting it again and it did starts good like before. After that incident I ask some personnel in the pc store why it happens that way and they said that it was cause of a very low ram memory. :cautious: That the only solution is to install an additional RAM to prevent this from happening again..still I could not buy an additional RAM. Then I searched for something that can help this, and found out that RamBooster v2 can alleviates and prevents that things to happens again, though it cannot really help in multiplying the power offered by a high-memory RAM. :doubt:

3. Telkar Skywolf

Telkar Skywolf Registered Member

::newbie de-lurks:: Umm, my motherboard caught on fire once. Had to replace it, the processor, the case, and the power supply since no one had the MB/Chipset I was using.

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I had a virus of some kind take out most of my mobo, several systems and many years back -- this was back before regular scans became the norm, let alone resident protection. (Oh, and long before I first got internet access.)

It was a 486DX/66, and the repair shop offered to upgrade to 586/133 for a mere 10 bucks extra. Nice move, since it made me fully Pentium-compatible.

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The worst thing that happened to my computer: First the hard disk crashed, then the monitor didn't start up. I had to replace the HD and the monitor (the monitor had a cooked part). This happened sometime in 2001 :(

6. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

The worst that happened to me was removing FilseClab firewall,
    without me reading the uninstall instructions on their website.
    Uninstalled the firewall, but afterwards the Xfilter.dll couldn't get removed,
    so instead I used Unlocker. BIG MISTAKE :rolleyes:
    The file was removed, but Windows gave a lot of errors on restart. :eek:
    Fortunately True Image came to the rescue and I was back up and running in no time. :cool:

Compared to what others told here, mine wasn't a big deal. :p ;)

7. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    One thing also is when I use several registry cleaners and trust it to deletes everything that it finds to fix the registry coz I thought in the past that its the same w anti-spywares or antivirus ... the more it found the better it is but I was wrong then and it can be even be more better of the opposites..the less invalid entries it found I think the more safer it is. And then after a day or two some features and functions of my Microsoft Office 2003 were gone and becomes non-functional. I have to use System Restore and ERUNT but still it didn't works right... so what I did is to reinstall that program again. :mad:

Now, I am much more very careful when using registry cleaners (especially the aggressive ones that does a deep scans). I only deletes those invalid entries of which I think are really confirmed to be a left-overs of uninstalled programs. :cautious: ;)

8. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Last november I was sat at my desk when a power surge nuked 2 servers (which are behind me). 2 PSU's, 1 motherboard, 1 SCSI controller, 1 120gig raid array all dead.
    Raid array was not backed up (against my requests for it to be), cost £500 UK to recover 2 drives out of 3 (one had completely died), recovered about 80% the data. Unfornutaly there was a live database on there (even though its supposed to be a test server), put on by our Project Manager.
    He then took the machines out of the room, telling the team leader hes got all these qualifications etc...
    spent 3 days trying to fix them, sent me out to buy replacement parts and could'nt get either machines to run.
    He declared them dead.
    Just dumped them on the floor in our room.
    Took me 10 minutes to spot he did'nt know how to put a scsi card in, and put the led/power switches in (which he said the machine would boot without LOL) to the motherboard.

This was the turning point in me looking for a new job (which I start in March).

The other machine was dead, so I took the nice server case to build a new server (all 2nd hand or I had lying around).

My own server at home was a pain in the ass to build. Firstly the cpu fan would'nt fit, then the machine ran unstable, dodgy psu to motherboard connection, cleaned that out with wd40 and a stiff brush, then after getting the machine running again, I suffered a total HDD failure (admittly I knew it was dropping sectors and was exspecting to happen), then to top it off, one of the memory sticks failled (but i had a spare), and then finally my ancient network card died. So bought a generic/cheap realtec to replace.
    All this happened within 2 weeks of building the machine up from 2nd hand parts.
    THEN the HDD cradle fan died, luckily it was the same size as a psu fan and I had some dead PSU's about, so ripped one out.

9. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Well I had a Java problem....

I was reading one of Big Ed's posts while drinking my morning Java......and the subsequent torrent of coffee from my nostrils did not go too well with the electronic equipment involved....:D

10. ~*Nat*~

~*Nat*~ Registered Member

http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/4341/haha0vf.gif

:eek: :eek: Holy Moly !! :eek: :eek:

Are you such a fast surfer that the poor pc breaks out in fire !!? LOL.

Well...my biggets disaster what happened to my pc was that it wouldn't work anymore ~ not at all.....and I was in computer~withdrawals for
    quite some time. :D

11. big ed

big ed Registered Member

But you came back.......Didn't you!!!!

12. ~*Nat*~

Yes I did !! :cool:
    Are you happy ?? ;)

GOOD! :-*

13. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I think BeetleBoss will post her biggest PC disaster soon, seeing that her PC has been off for some time now..... :doubt:

14. ~*Nat*~

I know exactly how she feels. o_O
    Withdrawals so bad ...they need medical attention ! :eek:

Hopefully they'll be back online soon again, before ...uhm...she needs to be put into an instutution... with something that calms her nerves. :doubt: :ninja:

;) Well...I hope it isn't thaaat bad.

Just teasing, BB !!!!!!!!! :D

15. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Geez Beckie,

I pologise....it musta raised havoc w/your plaited nose hairs.

Saying sorry in Sorento, Mocha ed

16. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Registered Member

It's not too far from that. :'(

17. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

There Here!!

18. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

worse thing that happened to my comp was my bios didnt update/flash properly. luckily i was able to revert to the original bios using the mobo driver cd. second worst thing is I used to carry internal hard drives between my two computers. they had no external case. i went thru two 4 gig drives and one 6 gig drive. one by one they died but luckily i had getdataback to recover most of my mp3s and such. i now have a proper 80gb external drive.

19. BeetleBoss

BeetleBoss She who posts lots of <I>Smileys</I>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.