What up with F-Prot

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Oct 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

So, did you get your Dells with 95 and 98SE?

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I'd also like to know if they are brand new builds versus returns, that might have been lying around.

3. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

That's a good possibility! I've even got a Dell with '98SE that's "lying around". Good price too....FREE!

4. Peter2150

Well by chance I was talking with Dell on Wednesday. I was curious about laptops and looking at Dell for their laptop service options. Was also curious to check out their new online phone thing and see how the response was. (Was excellent)

I was looking at two laptops. One from the business group where they still olffer XP Pro SP2 as an option, and also it had exactly the service option I wanted. Also was interested in the XPS line. There only Vista is offered and service packages I didn't want. Rep said on the XPS line, he could tailor the service package to my needs, but there was no option on the OS. Had to be Vista.

If there is no option there, hardly likely that they would offer Win95.

Also they would have to OEM it, and get licensing from MS. They have to support it, and if they need it get support from MS.

I just don't see it as a credible post, and certainly don't see F-Prot making any change based on that post.

Pete

5. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

The old saying, "you can never go home" is very fitting here. Once you've moved on, it's hard to go back. I keep the old 98 around thinking it will be a future project, but....

6. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Yeah! I did! Win 95 16 bit has at most a few coolwebsearch problems with IE 3(!!!) and a few DOS batch file problems. It supports Opera 7.5x. And I have my own software that I prefer to use, and which has been with me for many years. BUT I WANT F-PROT TOO!

Dave

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

But not on Win 95/98, as you already know.

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

What "new online phone thing"?

9. Peter2150

On the website as you are browsing they have two buttons. One were you can do online chat and one where you can do "oneline phone" When you click the online phone you enter your phone number.

I really was skeptical that I'd be talking with anyone in short order, but I got an automated call in one minute and was talking with a rep in 3. That's impressive.

Pete

10. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Just thought i'd let ya know that i have a dell laptop and i can tell you that their customer service and support is excellent. Have had a couple of problems with my laptop and both have been resolved satisfactorily.

11. Blackcat

Maybe we could keep this thread on topic?

12. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thanks for the explanation. That must be pretty new as you said. I have seen the online chat thing but not an online phone...I assume it is just for sales not support?

13. Peter2150

I agree, lets get it back to F-Prot.

@mele20 Yes

14. Blackcat

Changelog for v.6.0.8.0;

* The engine improvements are (taken from the changelog and condensed):

o Various improvements to the "Eldorado" heuristic engine [...]
    o Performance improvements which increase scanning speed of W32 binaries.
    o Several minor changes which improve performance or detection ability.
    o Improved the detection of the CVE-2006-3059 exploit.
    o Fixed a vulnerability involving specifically crafted PNG files.
    o Faster loading of DEF files in some implementations.
    o Improved handling of UPX-packed files.
    o Changed handling of .ZIP files, so they are found if some junk is prepended [...]

* The GUI has seen several improvements as well:

o Option to remove or restore multiple items from the quarantine (we are working on this functionality for Rescan as well)
    o Speedup in the scanning and communication with the FPAV service
    o Robustness of the service and the GUI, e.g. the menu on the left
    o Restructuring of some GUI elements according to user feedback
    o Several installer-related issues
    o Lots of minor bug fixes

Thanks to Oliver, Researcher / Developer for Frisk.

15. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

6.0.8.0 runs noticeably "smoother" or faster, or at least it seems to here anyway. Getting a bit longer battery life as well.

16. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

I've noticed that as well. :)

17. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yes i agree, it runs super smooth on my laptop. My only little gripe is the el dorado heuristics seems very aggressive. I just scanned my game partition and it flagged many legitimate files.

18. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

on a positive note though, at least the detection will be improved :)

19. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Yes, detection seems vastly improved. It does seems agressive but I haven't seen some of the FPs being reported and I have some of the same programs installed. Submit those FPs to have them looked at and removed or whatever needs to be done with them.

20. Blackcat

For now just exclude your Game partition from scanning.

You can then send in these suspicious files to Frisk;

This will obviously depend upon your software mix, as I have only picked up 1 FP with the scanner set to its highest heuristic level.

21. gates

gates Registered Member

I have found 3 fp's from my computer, but that is not big deal. F-prot team fixed those fp's really fast. The most important thing is that they keep developing, and eldorado is way to do that. :thumb:

22. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Hi All,
    BigC is correct in post 38. I heard a Wall Street Investor type guy on News channel give the same information. Also there is a big corporate replacement cycle coming according to these same experts that understand and track these types of things. And it will not be XP replacements either. Vista also comes out in a time in which Far East Asia countries have big demand compared to the days of XP release. All makes since to me.

Now as to F-Prot. I know only this. That never let a low profile product, no news , little advertising, not sold to the masses like McAfee and Norton make you think "no good". If you follow this type of o_O logic you will miss out not only on good security software but a lot of other things in life as well. ;)

23. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Does F-Prot AV scan http traffic? i checked their website but don't read anything related with it..
    thanks

24. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Nope.

25. JimGoo

JimGoo Guest

Hello,

I'm an F-Prot multi-license holder; however, I am still concerned when the Vista beta-only message appears during program installation.

Is there any timeframe for F-Prot to become "certified" for (at least) 32-bit Vista? As of this moment, the company still says you must gamble with your own system when using F-Prot with Vista.

I'm happy for you with XP machines who can "safely" use the inhanced heuristics. In the meantime, I'm using an alternative until F-Prot finally deletes the Vista warning message.

Thanks.

Regards,
    Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.