what tools do you use to assemble your pc?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by mantra, Jan 9, 2016.

1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi

may i ask 2 questions?

1)
    are the magnet screwdriver adequates to work on pc hardware ? assemble & dissable

2)
    what are your tools when you built/assemble a pc ?

thanks

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Yes you can use magnetic screwdrivers, but I generally prefer using a screw-holding screwdriver just because I'm an old-fart and in the habit of keeping magnets away from computers.

A #2 Philips screwdriver is the primary tool you will need. You might also need a small pair of plyers to undo the case thumbscrews (if no screw slot) as they often come screwed in really tight from the factory to avoid coming loose during transport.

I also keep a small pair of cutting plyers handy to snip off the ends of zip ties after tying back my cables.

A small flashlight may come in handy too. If you have tired old eyes like mine, a magnifying glass can also be nice for identifying the proper pins of the motherboard's front panel header - if your motherboard did not come with one of those neat little guide blocks.

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks
    do you think that is a good idea buy a philips screwdriver with different "tips" of different size , in short 1 screwdriver and many tips ?

and i noticed i need short screwdrivers

ps for tips i mean http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81bAksK%2BUZL._SX522_.jpg

or http://regalisfiziosi.it/wp-content/uploads/images/2015/mininch/punte-cacciavite-mininch.jpg

thanks Bill

4. Bill_Bright

The problem with those screwdrivers that let you swap out tips is they tend to have fat shafts which can make getting into tight places more difficult. And if the tip gets stuck in a tight fitting screw head, the tip can come out.

#2 Phillips is the most common needed.

But if you don't have big collection of tools yet, those swappable tip sets are nice.

Oh, I forgot about the motherboard standoffs - those brass thingies that screw into the case that you then use to mount the motherboard. There are different sizes but a 3/16" nut driver typically works. I note some cases are now coming with a nice little motherboard standoff fastening tool which allows you to securely fasten the standoffs with a #2 Phillips.

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    thanks Bill
    but some days ago i tried to assemble a pc , and about the motherboard (new asus) i found out i need a screwdrivers very short and very thin tip like this
    like these
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71aYl4F4N4L._SX425_.jpg

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1WE5lIXXXXXX4XpXXq6xXFXXX9/2Pcs-Lot-1-Screwdriver-and-1-Screwdriver-Slotted-and-Phillips-Magnetic-Screwdrivers-Long-Thin-Repair-Tools.jpg

Bill Electric battery screwdrivers are good tools or not ?

thanks
    sorry for my poor english ,
    ps but is there a good video that show how assemble correctly a machine ? because i found so many videos but most funny then usefull

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  6. Bill_Bright

I am not sure what you want me to say. I keep a wide assortment of tools handy. There is no one screwdriver for the job but virtually all the screws used in a computer require a #2 Phillips screwdriver. #2 refers to the tip "shape" and fits many sizes of screws.

Without knowing the size of the drivers in your first image, those look like "jeweler's screwdrivers" for very small screws. Your second image above is for flat tip screws. I have not seen flat tip screws used in any PC in many years, if ever though some screws (like panel thumb screws) accept flat or Phillips.

I do not recommend powered screw drivers for assembling computers because you cannot "feel" when the screws are in tight enough.

As for videos, there are 1000s. I recommend you read your motherboard manual. They typically have good advice. Then read your case and power supply manuals.

And note because cases typically are designed to support 1000s of different motherboards, they will have more mounting holes for standoffs than the motherboard has mounting holes. So make sure you only install a case standoff where there is a motherboard mounting hole.

7. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

For old PCs with no front openings for airflow, you'll need a hacksaw and power drill ;) Drill with a vacuum cleaner to avoid leaving cruft in the case. This is less of an issue with SSDs, which generate less heat than HDDs. I have an old Gateway, which I picked up cheap as a return. It was notorious for frying HDDs. Adding front holes, and a more powerful fan in back, decreased HDD temperatures from ~45 C to ~30 C.

8. Infected

Infected Registered Member

Just bought a new tower from Fry's yesterday. I just use a phillips screwdriver, side cutters for the zip ties and small flashlight.

9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

If you're paranoid, a wrist grounding strap is also good. Or just always be touching bare case metal.

10. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I didn't...I let the person that I purchased the various components from, assemble the hardware. They must have done a good job, back in 2007, because it is still running. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.