What to replace Norton Antivirus with?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Hpnotiq, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

"We decided to name the newly created antivirus program “Nemocnica na Okraji Disku” ... which in English would read “Hospital at the Edge of the Disk”.

Have a look here; https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=25585
    Simply, yes. Your AV Monitor will check files when they are executed, copied, created, downloaded, moved, etc.

2. Hpnotiq

Hpnotiq Registered Member

so its between kapersky and NOD? which would u choose?

3. webmedic

webmedic Registered Member

just curious how much info you can get into here a

Well here is the real thing behind that. There are quite a few that target norton specificly. They flat out delete protions of norton or disable it in other ways. Then you see the results that you are seeing above. Other than that norton may fail on it's own but most of the time I have seen this it is because norton has been disabled by a trojan or virus itself.

The really bad part of this is that some of them do it in such a way that the tray icon still looks like it is running but if you move your mouse over the try icon it will then disapear. To be fair this is really a bug with windows and not norton but there are lots of people that think they have it running when it is not.

oh and there is still the really bad drag it puts on the system. There has been a few people that thought their system was infected when it was jsut norton making everything slow. We took off norton and repalced it with something else and the customer was so happy to have thier computer back. I'm seeing this on newer (faster than 2ghz) systems so it can only gets worse for the older systems.

4. webmedic

Myself here I use nod for everything for on access scanning. I use kasperski but only for ondemand. It works great this way for cleaning up systems that already have virii on them but nod is better at keeping it off to beign with. I would advise using ewido with nod also to help with trojan detection. Ewido has a free version witch compliments nod very well.

5. webmedic

oh and before I forget e-scan has a nice free verion that uses the kasperski engine that works very well for on demand scanning.

http://www.mwti.net/antivirus/free_utilities.asp

this is what I sue to clean systems along with nod. Then I install nod on them and forget about them.

6. Hpnotiq

I now have Kapersky and NOD installed, I should disable Kapersky's protection and only leave NOD in the system tray and use Kapersky when i need to scan right?

7. Hpnotiq

This is what i have running:
    NOD32
    Ewido Security Suite (i think its trial version)
    Qwik-Fix Pro (trial)
    ProcessGuard

and i might add Spyware Doctor to the list of active programs

I have FreeRAM XP Pro and it shows that my cpu is low on memory, it's around the 40-50 #'s.

What do you guys think? also look at post above this one. Thx

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Why do people gather so many programs? Final effect is usually even worse than when you get actual worm/trojan. If you use Firefox/Opera you don't need any antispyware crap. The only way to get spyware is through installed programs (*cough*MSN+*cough*). Using resident scanner and 10 backup scanners is also stupid for me. I can live only with antivirus and a firewall. Thats all you need.

9. webmedic

exactly at the most go with ewido and nod. The link I showed is an on demand scanner that you use only when you think you may have an infection but honestly the systems I work on with jsut nod installed usually never have to come back again unless it is a different issue alltogether.

as for spuware use firefox or opera as your browser and you most likely will have much fewer issues.

This stuff is really hard to predict whithout having seen your system and knowing how you do things. As such it is easiest to tell you to do this and that when it may be overkill but in the ned it will be way better protection for you and anybody else out there.

10. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I have to disagree, I think that you have a good combo of software, Hpnotiq.

That said, as far as NOD32 + KAV goes, you would probably be better off just using the eScan toolkit (free), which is based on KAV and runs only on demand (hint: extract the toolkit to 'C:\Bases" and use "kavupd.exe" to update it.) NOD32 plus Ewido should give you plenty of protection, making buying KAV somewhat redundant.

Qwik-Fix and PG are also good to have around and will block many unknowns if used properly.. however I do think you should add a firewall to that list.

11. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

You're kidding, right? If this is REALLY what you believe you need to hang around Wilders for a while.

Acadia

12. webmedic

Which part do you disagree with your whole post was saying the same thing I told him.

13. Hpnotiq

I already use Firefox. So I'm going to uninstall KAV right now, and leave NOD32 active and keep the e-scan in case i feel i have a virus. Sounds kool?

14. webmedic

that should work well and wont cost allot for you.

15. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I should have quoted, you and I were posting at the same time.. I was actually disagreeing with RejZor. Great minds... :D

16. webmedic

no problem i was just curious.

17. Hpnotiq

thanks guys

18. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It's your opinion, but definitely not mine...

Now that Firefox and Opera are more used, they have founded a lot of security issues... It isn't only IE!
    However, you can use IE or IE based and only installed safety ActiveX...

About the rest, Prevention is always better than a cure...

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Vulnerabilities are not the same. FF/Opera are still immune to spyware nomatter what. Exceptions are spywares that you get via program installers (MSN+) and if they intercept connections at LSP level.

20. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

As you can see from my and other setups here, I for one tend to disagree with you, and I would have to say that 100% of customers bringing their infected machines into my shop also disagree, especially when they leave with a minimal layered defense as well as their wallet being lighter, though it is because of this that 50% learn how to use security, 40% need a second time around, and 10% will never learn and will blame everything under the sun other than themselves...

Cheers :D

21. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

With all due respect, this statement ? I highly doubt that 100% of your customers were using Firefox with a good Firewall and updated AV. If they were you wouldn't be seeing many problems other than those caused by downloading stupid things they don't understand.
    I agree with rejZoR, a search though the many Tech sites will bear this out.

Firefox, Router/Firewall, and good updated AV goes along way in security, for anything else Acronis True Image, Drive Image/Ghost are the best investments IMO.

22. webmedic

I think blackspear was agreeing with me and rejzor and disagreeing with vampire cow who was advocating to continue to use ie.

If you read the link he posted he advocates the use of mozilla also.

23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I don't defend the use of IE! Read my post better...

24. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

Ok, sorry. guess I got confused on the 100% thing...my bad :oops:

I used RejZoR quote as another point and not tied to Blackspear, I think both are pretty sharp ;)

I know VaMPiRiC_CRoW from other places than here, never seen him advocate the use of IE over other options.

25. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

I think the use of Spywareblaster with Firefox is still a good precaution and has no effect on your system.

DRIVE IMAGE (my personal choice) or other clone software is a must. No software disaster (virus etc) that can't be rectified in 15 minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.