What to do with 1GB internet connection?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sukarof, Jul 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I am now able to get a 1GB internet connection through my ISP. I guess I sound a bit like Bill Gates, but why would I want a 1GB connection? I now have 250/60Mbit but I cant really find any reason for even that. Except some bittorrenting if I want to download that movie about 2-5 minutes faster...
    Maybe I have tech fetigue? I really cant find any reason for paying for 1GB even though I can afford it. Maybe someone may help me to overcome this tech hostile mind I seem to have? Whats wrong with me? :p

2. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

and how much are you talking about
    1gb?

3. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Yeah 1GB/s connection instead of the 250/60 Mbit/s I have now (or 100Mbit/s that I am contemplating to downgrade to)

4. Wroll

Wroll Registered Member

Torify your upload stream?

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Most of the really high speed connections would be a waste if you are faster than most of the servers you are connecting to. When the whole internet gets that fast it will be nice.

6. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Good point, Jack. I find the biggest bottleneck when online, particularly when downloading large files, is the speed of the hosting server at the other end. With a good one, and using FreeDownloadManager which permits multiple sections, I can often get DLs at 300-350 KB/s. On the other hand, MS Update is near the other end of the scale and well under 10KB/s is more typical there, which is why I normally hold off on Patch Tuesday till the end of that week to avoid the rush.

7. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

My experience is different. I routinely get sustained download speeds of about 535 KB/s, which corresponds to my nominal 4 Gb/s connection and the "plus" obtained using Interned Download Manager.

One reason to use a higher speed it to reduce the time to upload. The upload speed is always less than the download one, in my case 25% or about 1 Gb/s. When I upload files to backup them in the cloud, the higher speed is important. Also when using Skype or similar programs.

8. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I think we're confusing bits, bytes, gigabits, and megabits.

535kilabytes is 4.2Megabites. One gigabit is 1,000 megabits.

One gigaByte (GB) is 8,000 megabytes.

9. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

Maybe it would help for OnLive, but even then I don't think they have streams that could take advantage of it.

BTW, I hate you for having such options. :) Where do you live?

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

LOL. Me too. :argh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.