What to complement Avira Premium?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by wigster, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wigster

wigster Registered Member

Hi,

I am restructuring the outdated security on my old resource-light laptop.

I am currently trialling Avira Premium as the antivirus and love the fact that its resource use is about a third of McAfee.

However, all of my email is IMAP in Outlook 2007: should I be concerned that the MailGuard does not scan that, or will the Avira engine stop everything on launch anyway?

Secondly: do I need to run a real-time spyware detector in addition to Avira? I currently run Windows Defender. Is there something else that should take its place?

What about on demand spyware/malware utilities. What is modern and recommended?

Finally, I currently have just the normal Windows XP Firewall. I always sit behind NAT routers. Should I upgrade it to something like Comodo? What is the resource-use like?

Thanks

2. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

Add SUPERAntiSpyware to the setup. I also recommend AVG/Ewido Anti Spyware. MalwareBytes Anti Malware is good too but be careful because it can make false positives.
    Scan with Dr.Web CureIT occasionally so it can remove what Avira may not be able to.
    Now, If you just want to be protected from hacking attempts you are fine, while if you want to know what actually is trying to connect to the internet(useful for new trojans etc.) you can use a firewall like Comodo (which also has HIPS functions).

You should also use a behaviour blocker, you can go for a free one like Threatfire or a paid one like Mamutu or some HIPS like EQSecure.

You could be fine only running Comodo with it's HIPS functions, but I've seen some recent threads on it failing to detect some rootkit driver installations due to bugs on some xp machines.

3. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

She's dead, Jim... No longer standalone, just bundled in the AVG 8.0 bloatware. :thumbd:

4. wigster

OK, so SuperAntispyware sounds like something worth adding for on-demand scans.

But Defender's real-time checker is useless in the light of my having Avira, is that right?

5. emperordarius

Yeah I know *cough*stupidgrisoft*cough*.
    But as long as it updates(at least Ewido AS still does) I'll recommend it. I really cannot find anything to really substitute it. :'(

Well Windows Defender's protection is good, but I doubt it'll really catch anything that Avira misses.It would be good if you used SuperAntiSpyware's pro protection ;) .

6. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

drweb cureit :)

7. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I suggest you take a look at DefenseWall http://www.softsphere.com
    It is a policy based HIPS that is very quiet and Ilya provides terrific support.

8. risl

risl Registered Member

I'd say you're completely fine with just Avira unless you have "bad" surfing habits or install lots of questionable software.

9. wigster

SuperAntiSpyware seems nice: is it worth getting the Pro version with the real-time scanner, or again does Avira basically deal with those kind of threats.

People have been mentioning a squared antispyware: is that basically the same thing are SAS?

In terms of firewall/HIPS-type protection: this DefenceWall is basically a firewall with HIPS like Comodo or is it something else entirely that I should run in addition to Comodo? What is the difference between applications like Threatfire and the HIPS features of Comodo?

10. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Maybe try this.
    Avira free.
    Windows firewall.
    Threatfire free.
    Defensewall-I've been trialing it and am buying it because I can't seem to break it. It just works.
    SAS free on demand.
    PC runs light and fast.
    Good luck.
    Hugger

11. emperordarius

SAS Pro is totally worth getting, in the end, it will block every spyware that Avira may miss, so you don't even have to do on demand scans very often.

A-squared is good but IMO not really at SAS's level.

DefenseWall is only a HIPS, not a firewall. More info here http://www.softsphere.com/

Basically apps like Threatfire and Comodo's HIPS are both used for new malware, however HIPS requires clicking much more pop ups, for every registry entry created, modified etc. while Threatfire notifies only about suspicious behaviours.

Edit: HIPS Wikipedia definition http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusion_prevention_system#Host-based

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  12. century

century Registered Member

Dear Wigster, here is what I am doing for last 3 months after getting opinions in this forum :
    1. Antivir Premium - I have got a 6 months license free. Full scan every 2 wks
    2. Windows firewall - I am running XP with SP2
    3. Super Antispyware free - full scan once a wk - quick scan on alt. days.
    4. Dr. Web CureIt - full scan every 2 wks, alternating with Antivir scan.

Thought of using Online Armor free firewall & another antispyware, but backed off as they would eat up resources.

There is no problem so far. However I do not go to the questionable sites.

13. entropism

entropism Registered Member

I've been running Avira premium with Winpatrol free, SAS pro, Norton Antibot (if only threatfire worked for Vista x64), and Rising's free firewall. I was running the Vista FW, but since the discussion that programs can alter the FW rules due to MS's API, I've ditched it.

Oh yeah, this is all behing a NAT/SPI router, as well.

14. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

DefenseWall is not a firewall. This description is from their website:

"DefenseWall HIPS divides all applications into 'Trusted' and 'Untrusted' groups. Untrusted applications are launched with limited rights to modification of critical system parameters, and only in the virtual zone that is specially allocated for them, thus separating them from trusted applications. In the case of penetration by malicious software via one of the untrusted applications (web browsers etc), it cannot harm your system and may be closed with just one click"!

If you were to use DefenseWall and Comodo together, you should disable the HIPS portion of Comodo to avoid conflicts.

Avira Premium is very good...I have one PC with DefenseWall/Avira Premium/Vista Firewall Control and everything works well together.

15. wigster

How heavy on resources is something like DefenceWall? I'd guess it runs applications in some kind of sondbox?

16. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

You won't notice it's there at all!

17. Killtek

Killtek Registered Member

SafeSpace (now defunct but still rock solid) or GesWall will compliment Avira very well.

18. Arup

Arup Guest

Honestly Avira premium covers it all, the only thing you can add is registry protection.

19. Flava

Flava Registered Member

maybe spybot free ?

20. gery

gery Registered Member

just add SAS free and CCLEANER and PC TOOLS firewall or ONLINE ARMOR

21. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

That's right and after all the OP did indicate his laptop was lacking resources, so no need for a whole lot of other stuff.

22. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

Since your laptop is on the lightweight side, why not try a few things that don't require any additional resources at all? If you aren't already doing so, running as a limited user will keep the vast majority of malware from being able to install, regardless of what AV you use. Go to www.blackviper.com and check out his list of services and recommendations. Turn off everything that isn't essential. Then download and run Windows Worms Doors Closer and Seconfig XP. These shut down ports and services that most people don't need to have open or running. This will improve your security without eating any resources, in fact, you will most likely notice an improvement after shutting down processes that you don't need.

Set up like this and running an AV only (Avira on one crate and Dr.Web on another) the anti-spyware apps never find anything, so I don't bother with them.

Not scanning email isn't a problem as far as I'm concerned. Microsoft actually recommends *not* scanning email. If you've ever had a corrupt .pst file, then you know why they don't recommend it, it's a pain in the ass :argh:

Also, if your router has an SPI firewall you can turn off the XP firewall, it's kind of redundant. Just my two cents.

23. hex_614

hex_614 Registered Member

YOUR PROTECTION IS OK. YOUR USING AVIRA PREMIUM. IT WILL PROTECT YOU TOGETHER WITH WINDOWS DEFENDER. WINDOWS FIREWALL IS JUST FINE IT WILL DO IT'S JOB. BUT IF YOU WANT ADD'L PROTECTION TRY TO INSTALL SUPERANTISPYWARE FREE EDITION JUST FOR ON DEMAND SCAN.

BUT ALL IN ALL YOUR SECURITY SET UP IS JUST VERY FINE. SOMETIMES TOO MUCH SECURITY SOFTWare you have will make conflicts with each other.

24. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

25. hex_614

hex_614 Registered Member

avira does have anti spyware protection. if your using the paid version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.