What the za mofo=0

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Mr.Blaze, Apr 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

I install newupdated zone alarm right and follow instuctions.

next day my za dont start up on start up.

imidiatly AOL SIGHN ON SCREEN COME ON AND I DIDNT CLICK ON AOL.

I CLOSE AOL IT OPENS ALGAIN .

IT KEEPS DOING THAT.

WHEN I FINALY SAY WHAT THE HELL AND I LOG ON MY SELF.

zA FINALY DECIDES TO START UP WHAT THE HELL GOING ON.

2. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Blaze, did you have a previous version of ZA or ZAP installed?  If so, did you COMPLETELY uninstall it first?

If your answers to the above questions are YES and NO, and in that order, UNINSTALL and REINSTALL.

3. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Oops, Checkout is right, Blaze.
    If I remember me well, you were using ZA before you used ZAP now. And indeed, ZA(P) has a little bit strange uninstall procedure.

I'm very sorry, we should have warned you, my apologies!!!

On the old forum was a thread about it, I will try to find it for you; nevertheless there could be now a problem since you maybe installed your new ZAP without proper uninstall of the previous ZA.

The thread at the old forum:
    http://pub24.ezboard.com/fsecureyesecurityfrm3.showMessage?topicID=59.topic

4. Mr.Blaze

When i uninstalled za i went to add and remove then uninstalled it.

Then i used registry cleaner wipe all trace of za entrys including zmail z1 z2 ect ect.

then i deletes old za  folder.

Now blaze install za pro it said it found old za  setting's would i like to keep them or do a clean install recomended.

Blaze did clean install.

Next day I start computer up imidiatly i notice on start up zap didn't start up right alway no za logo even though it set on start up.

i click on icon and nothing happend.

all of the sudden my aol kicks in and i didnt click on it .

it imidiatly trys to sighn on.

when i finaly make a conection zap logo alpears and zap becomes active.

i just turn my computer on right now imidiatly as i got to my desk top aol screen came up an try to connect to net i connect and zap comes on finaly.

im guessing this problem trying to connect to the internet imidiatly as my coputuer starts is conected to zap right?

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Blaze,

In the meantime I have contacted someone of ZoneLabs for you to have a look at it.
    I'll let you know, or maybe ZoneLabs-Support will post it here for you.

6. Mr.Blaze

Thank you so much Fan J i love wilders you guys always look out for me=)

But i found the problem after i went to za by the way guys thx for that link i did the following things and it still didnt fix the problem plus the stuff i did previousely.

A. To make sure that you can see any ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro system files still on your computer:

- i. Right-click on Start, then left-click on Explore.
    - ii. When the Windows Explorer panel appears, click Tools, then Folder Options.
    - iii. Click the "View" tab, then click the "Show hidden files and folders" radio button.
    - iv. Click "OK."

B. Verify that the following have been removed:

- Directories:

1) Zone Labs from C:\Program Files
    2) zonelabs from C:\Windows\System
    3) Zone Labs from C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

- Files:

1) C:\Windows\System\vsdata.dll
    2) C:\Windows\System\vsdata95.vxd
    3) C:\Windows\System\vsmonapi.dll
    4) C:\Windows\System\vsnetutils.dll
    5) C:\Windows\System\vspubapi.dll
    6) C:\Windows\System\vsutil.dll
    7) C:\Windows\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\zapro
    :cool: C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\zapro
    9) C:\Windows\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\zonealarm
    10) C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\zonealarm

NOTE: Please verify that none of the files listed above remain in the directory C:\Windows\Temp.

- Uninstallation Step 2.
    Delete the directory "C:\Windows\Internet Logs".

NOTE: If you want to save your alert logs (ZAlog.txt), you should copy them from the Internet Logs directory to a different location before deleting the directory.

- Uninstallation Step 3.
    Make sure your Recycle Bin is empty.

- Uninstallation Step 4.
    It is not generally necessary to remove registry entries if reinstalling ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro. However, should you choose to do so, the following registry entries aree associated with ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro:

Important Advisory: Deleting registry entries incorrectly may cause serious problems to your operating system (OS) which may necessitate the need to reinstall the OS. Please make sure you are able to perform these deletions correctly before you decide to edit the entries.

For information about how to edit the registry in Windows, type "regedit.exe" from a command prompt. Click "Help," then "Help Topic." Click "Changing Keys and Values."

Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it.

To enter the registry, go to Start/Run and type: "regedit." Use Control-F to find and F3 to Find Next.

Registry Entries:

- Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Zone Labs and all its subkeys and values.
    - Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ZoneAlarm Pro

These registry items starts the services required for ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro:

- Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    - Value: MiniLog and Value: TrueVector
    - Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\VSDATA95

This is a database that contains a long list of values, but only these values are related to ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro and TrueVector:

- Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDLLs
    - Values:

C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\tutorwiz.dll
    C:\Windows\System\vsdata.dll
    C:\Windows\System\vsdata95.vxd
    C:\Windows\System\vsmonapi.dll
    C:\Windows\System\vsnetutils.dll
    C:\Windows\System\vsnetu.dll
    C:\Windows\System\vspubapi.dll
    C:\Windows\System\vsutil.dll
    C:\Windows\System\Zone Labs\html.tdr
    C:\Windows\System\Zone Labs\vsdb.dll
    C:\Windows\System\Zone Labs\minilog.exe
    C:\Windows\System\Zone Labs\vsmon.exe
    C:\Windows\System\Zone Labs\vsruledb.dll

For each user who has run ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro, there are registry keys in

- Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Zone Labs

The following keys allow the user to modify the sound that is played when there is an alert through use of the Control Panel Sounds applet:

- Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\EventLabels\InternetAlert
    - Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\InternetAlert\.current

The following keys tell Windows the ZoneAlarm and ZoneAlarm Pro Desk Band is a part of the application:

- Key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{long string of characters}\InprocServer32 (NOTE: The string of characters will vary from system to system.)
    - Value: C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zoneband.dll

The following keys are related to ZoneAlarm and ZoneAlarm Pro's MailSafe Feature:

- Key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ZAMailSafe

There is a value for the extension of every attachment that ZoneAlarm Pro quarantines (.vbs, for example). To find the values and keys to delete:

1) Click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.
    2) Press F3.
    3) Type "zamailsafe" in the search field (no quotes).
    4) Press F3 to find the next value. An example of the value you will see (on the right-hand side of the window) would be: ZAMailSafeExt: REG_SZ: {renamed extension -- zl9, for example).
    5) Delete the value. Press "OK" at the prompt.
    6) Repeat until there are no more values like the example above. ZoneAlarm Pro quarantines 37 extensions by default. However, any additional extentions you may have chosen to quarantine will also be listed in the registry.

There is also a registry key for the extension of every attachment renamed by ZoneAlarm Pro. The names of the keys will range from .zl0 to .zly. If you wish, you can follow the instructions above to find the values associated with these keys. Delete the entire key which contains these values.

For ZoneAlarm (not Pro), The following keys can be removed:

- Key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\zl0
    - Key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ZAMailSafe

- Uninstallation Step 5.
    Reboot your machine.

- Uninstallation Step 6.
    If you experienced difficulty deleting ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro files or folders, try removing the items mentioned above AFTER following the steps below:

A. Reboot your system either into Safe Mode or to a command prompt (by pressing either F8 at the beep, or holding the Control key during boot).
    B. You should now be able to remove the files specified above

7. Mr.Blaze

Even after i did all that plus what i did earlyer same problem.

Turns out it wasnt a clean install that was the problem.

Zone Alarm pro newest verstion has a conflict intrest with old verstions of AOL and posiably 7.0 but i doubt it.

this is the problem if you check zone alarm pro start at start up you imidiatly get sent to aol trying to conect to the internet.

it happend on my aol 6.0

this is truely anoying as you do not get to do what you want to do when you get to your desk top and instead have to fight with zone alarm pro not to connect to the net.

simple fix.

uncheck  start zone alarm pro on start up option.

unfourtinitly this is a major security breach as you are not protected when you first start up your computer anymore.

meaning like in previouse verstions you could see from start up if there was trafic off and on the net on start up meanig if you first start your computer you could see imidiatly what apps try to connect to the net.

I am angry as na Newby and as A za customer who actualy went out of his way to actualy legaly buy this security protection rather then go get it at the dark side.

i paid like 44 dollars or so after taxs at office depot.

as a newby going threw the darn uninstall is insain and not a good sales move if you tic off your customers.

I sugest Zone alarm make a zone alarm all in one removel aplication for newbys that want to upgrade.

a simple removel tool.

as an actual soft ware purcheser i sugest za make there product compadiable with all verstions of aol 5.0 and up.

if they purposely made za to start internet acess as soon as you reah your desktop with out you clicking on aol to get to the net that was just stupit.

i think us inexperince newbys with AOL out number every one else lol how many aol subscribers are there lol?

8. Mr.Blaze

ps im running windows me if that helps

9. Checkout

Blaze, I've commented directly to Zone Labs that their first priority has to be  one-click, thorough uninstall procedure.  I happen to know that they've gone a long way towards this.

Please be assured that you've haven't wasted your money, that ZAP is a fine product, and that the support team is proactively addressing usability issues such as these.

One more thought:  since you bought it off the shelf, you won't have the very latest version (which is 3.0.118, I believe).  Use the check-for-updates feature inside ZAP and see how that goes.

Aside from that, we'll give you all the help we possibly can.  Team Z members have a good line into Zone Labs.

Checkout (Team Z)

10. Mr.Blaze

I DID UPGRADE TO THIS zapSetup3020 THE ONE I AM HAVEING PROBLEMS WITH,

Opps sorry about the caps it look like im yeahilling i actual am not.

I just leave caps button on all the darn time lol=)

Also as a use to be heavely bad guy i notice a problem with i belive this za and maybe old ones.

Ill ask paul he kbows id posted but who knows  whos lurking if my fear is warrented im sure hell give you a ring ring.

11. Checkout

Nope, didn't quite follow this one, Blaze...  o_O

12. Mr.Blaze

oh it not a big deal spy 1 perty much set me straight i was talking about the Ereg file that gets left behind by za and za pro.

thats not on the remove or clean install list i told spy 1 all a cracker had to do perty much is copy post upload it and it was a security  breach for piraters.

but hepointed out that the licince key is mine and why would any one else have it inless they haced in and swiped it which sent shivers dowen my spine when he mentioned that part.

still i think you should be forced to put in the code manuely and that the Ereg be encrypted.

i noticed when i reinstalled i had to start from scratch except one thing the registration key so i traced it dowen and fond a file called Ereg that told za pro i was a licenced purcheser.

this file gets left behind even after you uninstalled.

i thought it was a security issue but maybe not it is my licence and only person that has it is me.

but i was thinking as a pirater or cracker this could be an issue and to have zone labs look into it and maybe change it.

hey what you expect im a newby so might not even know what im talking about.

if my concerns do have warrent id like to know so i dont feel so stupit=(

13. Mr.Blaze

i was actualy surprised that this file was like this if i was on zone labs i have it encrypted in such a way that on every new install the ereg file changes meaning that the Ereg file would not work on newer verstions of za pro.

which would mean if a pirater got ahold of a old Ereg file and try to dowenload the latest verstion of za pro it wouldnt work with it.

or something like that you get what im saying i hope.

14. Checkout

Give me a week or two, Blaze.  :)

15. Mr.Blaze

=)lmao lol i confuse the girls at sos alot to lol

16. snowman

snowman Guest

MRBLASE

this is a very wild guess......if you are still having the problem.....

is it possible that ZA is activating your aol connection because you need to register ito_O??  or perhaps because za is config to check for update??

17. Mr.Blaze

no it registerd i even got e-mail to prove it.

and even if update was the case that would still be horriable as soon as you get to your desk top wham.

no when za makes the conection and i let it get threw the net no web page with new update shows up.

i have to do it manuely or wait for an actual up date alert.

that part is working normaly

18. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi MrBlaze,

First:
    I hope you don't mind (so please be assured that I didn't want to hurt you!!!), but I don't understand what exactly the problem is right now.
    Maybe it is a good idea to describe it again more clearly.

Second:
    I got a reply from ZoneLabs:

-begin quote-

If you are experiencing unprompted dial-up, there are several possible solutions :

- If you use IE, open internet explorer -->Internet Options --> Advanced
    -->Security.  Uncheck 'Check for publishers certificate revocation'.
    - If you click on the splashscreen while freeware ZA is loading, it will try
    to take you to the ZAP purchase site.
    - The automatic Check For Updates function can cause this. Try UNchecking
    the box to Check For Updates.
    - If you see it trying to access a URL with register in the name, it is most
    likely trying to register.
    - Some users report that uninstalling, then reinstalling Dialup Networking
    resolves this issue.
    - Also, a few users have reported that reinstalling RAS (Remote Access
    Service) resolves the issue, under NT/2000.
     (For help on how to reinstall DUN or RAS, see your Windows Help Files)

-end quote-

Please let us know if that could be of any help.

19. Mr.Blaze

i am experiencing unprompted dial-up
    only if start zap on start up option is checked
    zap has been registerd
    no free ware splash screen

quote:Some users report that uninstalling, then reinstalling Dialup Networking
    resolves this issue.
    - Also, a few users have reported that reinstalling RAS (Remote Access
    Service) resolves the issue, under NT/2000.
     (For help on how to reinstall DUN or RAS, see your Windows Help Files      
    no clue what that is but im running windows me so it might not apply

no problem with zap looking for automatic updates box selected

IE, open internet explorer -->Internet Options --> Advanced
    -->Security.  Uncheck 'Check for publishers certificate revocation'      i might try this trick  will let you know how it goes.

thx Fan J

20. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hi MRBLAZE,

It says to:
    - The automatic Check For Updates function can cause this. Try UNchecking
    the box to Check For Updates.

You say you have the box selected.  Try Unchecking it.......

Regards,
    Kent

21. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Thanks very much Kent  :)

This could indeed be the problem (I should have thought of it  :oops: )

22. Mr.Blaze

OK I UNCHECK LOK FOR UPDATES BOX and it work i can now start za from start up.

still i consider this a small glitch that should be fixed.

thx guys so much i alprechiate it=)

23. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

mr.blaze - It's not really a glitch, it's been explained time and again everywhere on the net (also in the programs 'Help', 'Readme' and FAQ's.

You kinda need to dig in and read some of that stuff. Pete

24. Mr.Blaze

then why is it prviouse zone alarms never did that befor and waited for me to conect to the web befor looking for update?

i liked it that way better.

so i still consider it a small anoying glitch.

i prefer it this way as soon as you get on line it looks for an update every so often that would be better.

instead of dialing up every time you start your computer.

thats my thoughts on it=)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.