What the heck is up with 4.2

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by trjam, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

and before ronjor chews me out, checking those I said, it does say they can have an adverse impact on system resources. They never did, but they do now. Anyway, I am a happy camper for now and love my Nod.;)

2. SolidState

SolidState Registered Member

Because it's a 32bit process maybe?

3. SolidState

Those are MAJOR features of the application... I would feel naked if that was turned off!

I have none of the experience you speak of. Is your machine indexing when this happens?

Why don't you download Process Monitor and Process Explorer and tell us what's going on. Most of your post to date in terms of helping you with useful info have SUCKED. How the hell can this be with a 6k post count. Don't you know how to debug an application !?! How can you have 6 k of posts in AV and not be able to debug WTF is going on. Your posts in terms of useful info to help you have been totally useless.

PS Your posts could do damage to eset! If I was to see a 6k post count and read the stuff you said I woudln't touch Eset. You make it sound like the entire 4.x codebase is garbage or something

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

no it happens on my 2 32 bit systems. And is your name Marcos? I am doing what Ronjor suggested to me.

And in answer to your question about First Defense

http://www.leapfrogsoftware.com/

they also have a forum here.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

they are turned off by default so I dont think that is such a bad thing. Or does this response SUCK to.

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

thank you, but I really dont need your support.

7. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I used NOD for a month a few weeks back, i always had it maxed out and never found a problem :p
    Just my experience :D

8. SolidState

For Executed files it's turned off by default.

For newly created files and modifications it's turn on by default.

See you suck at explaining yourself as you didn't differentiate.

Why would I ever turn that on! I seriously like to think I trust the .exes on this machine enough that I don't need advanced heuristics scanning on every time the system runs an exe. Doesn't it occur to you that without exclusions this includes M$ OS system processes etc. that execute and modify on mass... Have you not ever run Process Explorer or Process Monitor before and gained an understanding of the processes running on a windows desktop!!! Windows is doing stuff in the background ALL THE TIME. I scan any exe before it ever runs on a the machine in the first place via on-demand using it "maxed out" as in all the scan settings are set to max detection levels. I also hit the package with SAS, MBAM and Hitman. If it's something really dicey I upload it to virus total.

For the most part it's a useless feature unless you create massive exclusions so it's not scanning every bloody M$ OS related exe service etc. It's a great feature to use when files are modified and or created IE the action of active malware. It obviously has some "built in" exclusions for some key windows components you'd think that's transparent to the enduser IE it's not doing advanced heuristics on modification of the swap file etc.

I still seriously question the logic in realtime scanning of objects accessed by the indexer. Indexer has enough issues with screwy file names, screwy large media files and massive recursively-pointing directories etc.

PSS Also remember it's indexing PST files and email content now... and some people have HUGE PST files with attachments and all kinds of BS.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
  9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

to clarify:

On set up
    Real Time File and Advance system, Threatsense engine parameter setup, Advanced Hueristics and Run time packers ARE NOT checked.

Under same heading,Advance setup, Advanced heuristics on file execution IS NOT checked.

When I check just one, any one, my issues arise. Doesnt matter which one.

10. SolidState

And it's not set to use it's most advanced and CPU intensive detection techniques realtime on the running of any exes including OS specific ones... even if it's CRC hasn't changed IE it hasn't been modified. I bet kaspersky doesn't have such ~Snip~ a setting that people can turn on so they can complain and act like an ~Snip~ .

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2010
  11. SolidState

Surely you understand though what the difference is right !?! It's important pal!

You are saying that if you turn off these two check boxes:

Antivurs and antispyware-->Real-time file system protection-->Advanced setup

Under Advanced scan options

under Additional ThreatSense parameters for newly created and modified files

The checkboxes Runtime packers and Advanced heuristics on (boxed by the way) yields a sloggy machine?

Things ain't right if you can't turn those on!

Don't ever turn on, Under Additional ThreatSense parameters for executed files
    checkbox Advanced heuristics on file execution.

Nice feature there for removables though worth noting!

12. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

This is a difficult thread to follow but after reading all the posts here, I can see that it boils down to trjam for some reasons had both "advanced heuristics" and "runtime packers" checked. I looked into my own settings and both are NOT checked (by default).:rolleyes:

When trjam unchecked both, his systems are all good and working well now.:thumb:

That's great !....though I wish some of the words and thoughts used here could be a little more helpful and less abrasive as I do not see the significance between a 6K post and 6 post as long as what they post make good sense. :p

13. SolidState

Well what other realtime protection are you running? Firewall, malware AV anything? What about windows defender. Nuke that crap's realtime. Some people just end up disabling the realtime element but keep it's exe running. Axe the ~Snip~thing entirely by checking the box to not use it period. You could also use the usual methods but it's better to use the cpl to do it as who knows what it writes to the registry right...

14. SolidState

I have seen nod run screwy with all in one sidebar installed. It's a mozilla plugin. For some reason it would make my mozilla sessions much slower. Once I removed it (dam I loved that plug) I haven't experience the same Firefox slowdowns.

Why don't you enable those features giving you trouble (DON'T CHECK THE "Advanced heuristics on file execution") just the other two.

Then run process monitor and process explorer and tell us what's slowing stuff down!

I'd start with HD access first by using process monitor and turn on view for HD access only and set it to scroll.

Also open NOD32 and goto protection status-->statistics and whatch what files it's scanning realtime.

When Firefox is running it access ..\AppData\Local\Temp like a madman reading and writing like crazy...

I'd nuke that folders content using CCleaner etc.

Is it not obvious to you at this point as it's something to do with your systems and/or the files on it!

I mean others, like me, are having no problems or experiencing the slowdowns you are and we are using the exact same software on the same OS. The mods even got on the phone to the person coding the realtime "Threatsense" engine and he said he's not even changed the code there...

15. SolidState

You have to be more specific man...

Dude there are two locations and a global setting where the words "Advanced heuristics" is used with regards to the advanced settings tree.

They are very different on what they do with regards to scanning and how nod32 runs.

I repeat the boxed settings is for RP and AH to be turned on for files created or modified and this is a real good idea to stop active malware as it infects! For execution of exes it should be turned off and again it's off boxed defaults and again it's pretty stupid to enable this without a large well thought out exclusion list so it's not scanning operating files that are known not to be infected via on-demand... man that checkbox should be nuked or a note in the control panel text should be there that it affects performance adversely and really isn't needed.

PS there are also global threatsense engine checkboxes (affects realtime and on-demand) when you hit the button "Threatsense engine setup parameters" that also have "Advanced heuristics" and "Runtime packers" text labels for their checkboxes for settings on an object level or under the options thread GLOBALLY NOTE if you uncheck "Advanced heuristics" here your nuking it GLOBALLY and isn't this one of the reasons to use this product in the first place! Is this not what made Miroslav FAMOUS! Really the person who thought out the UI here needs ~Snip~ ! LOL you never use the same text label for a check box in a threaded or tabbed UI. STUPID

PSS Don't check detection of potentially unwanted applications as NOD32's "malware" protection in this regard still has a lot to be desired. Use SAS IMHO!

16. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Read my post clearly, I am referring to what trjam said exactly here word-for-word:

"On set up
    Real Time File and Advance system, Threatsense engine parameter setup, Advanced Hueristics and Run time packers ARE NOT checked.

Under same heading,Advance setup, Advanced heuristics on file execution IS NOT checked.

When I check just one, any one, my issues arise. Doesnt matter which one.
    "

These are also my default settings and I have not touched or changed anything from day one.*puppy*

17. SolidState

If your talking the settings tree after you hit the BUTTON "Setup..." under the text label "ThreatSense engine parameter setup:" UNDERSTAND that the thread "Options" the checkbox "Advanced heuristics" nukes it GLOBALLY and sure and **** isn't the boxed defaults pal. Under the "Object" thread it's also GLOBAL for runtime packers. That includes on-demand RP scanning. Guys these are not default boxed turned off as it would GREATLY affect NOD32's ability to do it's job and disabling what made the software famous in the first place! UNDERSTAND that these check boxes, even if the dipshit that designed the UI, have the same text label "Advanced heuristics" or "Runtime packers" that they are entirely different settings than what's under Antivirus and antispyware-->Real-time file system protection-->Advanced setup under "Advanced scan options". Again the UI team needs a ~Snip~ At least it's not as stupid as the little Alien dude UI idea reminiscent of M$ Bob... now that was pure retardation ROTFL That would be the AV UI equivalent of the superpuck in broadcast hockey! RETARDATION

PS thank god that stupid idea turned into nothing other than the 3DS marketing renderings robot.

PSS Not only do the UI team nead a boot the Mods here that represent Eset also need to get off their lorals and offer better help.

18. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

To Trjam, please reproduce the problem with Process Monitor capturing file operations and drop me a PM when done. I'd be interested in knowing what files are actually being scanned that take much time for advanced heurisitcs to emulate them. Perhaps we could have a look at them subsequently and make some adjustments that could alleviate the slowdown.

19. Fidelius

Fidelius Registered Member

I also have slowdowns

Hello,
    I have read this thread with interest but do not underdand everything. I also have noticed some slowdowns.
    My version of Nod32 is 4.2.40.10 (win32) french.
    My hardware is :
    Intel Core2Duo , 4 GB Ram (2 GB in use) dual boot. Windows XP home 32 bits SP3.
    I have set on all the options for maximum protection, "Advanced heuristic", "run time packers" "Unsafe/Unwanted applications" everywhere. Which options can I safely disable in order to speed up the real time protection ? Tell me which boxes can be UNchecked. Thank you.
    Maybe 2 pictures can help...
    http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/6537/nod321.jpg
    http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6158/nod322.jpg

20. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I also checked Advanced Heuristics in realtim file system protection it the past and noticed no slowdown. However lately I did and thought it was the 2nd opinion realtime scanner, but after uninstall of the 2nd it was still slow and unchecking advanced heuristics worked. However, I don't think it impacts security, take a look at advanced setup tree -> antivirus and antispyware -> real-time file system protection -> advanced setup. As you can see advanced heuristics are already standard enabled for newly created and modified files and also for executing from removable media. So you're already protected with advanced heuristics, setting it to scan all files everytime with advanced heuristics won't make your computer safer, only slower.

21. Fidelius

Could someone post screenshots of the parameters which do not slow down the PC ?
    Thank you.

Pictures are easier to understand than long talks.
    I regret Blackspear's setting tutorial :(

22. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Sorry, my long talk was in general, not specifically to you.
    If you go in advanced setup tree you can revert back to default settings:

Attached Files:

23. Fidelius

I have unchecked "Advanced heuristic when a file is executed" in :
    Antivirus and antispywares -> Real time protection -> advanced setup
    I put a red arrow to be sure we are talkking of the same thing :)

Attached Files:

24. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Also make sure runtime packers and advanced heuristics in Threatsense engine parameter setup are unchecked:

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.