What tests do you use?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Kees1958, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

Some members post tests (for which I am very thankfull). I wondered whether we could share those test programs. Reason for asking is I did a virus scan with my external backup disk connect, so Avast blew them all away (because I had put them in another directory without changing the exclude scan directories in Avast, makes me a living proof that the monkey behind the keyboard is the weakest link)

The ones I could recover:
    - Leaktests (all)
    - DFK Threat Simulator (complex, make sure you create a restore point before test)
    - Badrkdemo (rootkit, make sure you create a restore point before test)
    - Anti Virus Practice Lab of Invircible (Virus attack, also restore before)
    - Securable (is not a malware, but a test software wich installs silenty and loads a driverl)
    - Reghide (have not found a remedy for it SUGGESTIONS)
    - Regtest
    - Scoundrel
    - Zapass
    - TrojanSimulator
    - TrojDemo
    - APT
    - SDT Restore
    - AKLT
    - Keylog

Two I can not find anymore (please PM where to find them):
    - Shutdownsimulator
    - Killdisk (backup your data + OS image + make sure you have a disaster CD for putting back the image life)

Disclaimer:
    When you do not make a backup of your data on external drive or do not have an image backup/recovery with a disaster-recovery-CD you should this not be doing at home.

Please post other test programs that you use, I would interested to know of other aps/test

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  2. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

OSR - Open System Resourses. They have a new site added to OSR dot com, OSR Online. BANG! crash utility and DeviceTree may interset you as well as other utilities. OSR also produce a very nice free monthly, 'The NT Insider' which they will send you if you ask on joining.

3. Matern

Matern Registered Member

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Bear in mind, that the Killdisk I refer to is not a test program, it is the real thing. If it runs on your machine it will wipe out the hard drive, and a simple image restore will not recover the drive.

Be careful about tests, vs real malware and POC's which while not in the wild will do the same destructive work.

Pete

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I see no point in this kind of testing. The goal of being prepared is to be prepared when you're not prepared. Performing tests deliberately is not productive to accurately estimating one's defenses.

The only tool I use for any sort of testing is nmap.

Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.