What system optimizers are you using?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sweater, Oct 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I’m using Cacheman 5.50, FreeRAM XP Pro 1.50, and TweakAll 3 and also CPU Eat ‘n’ Cool. :cool:

What are you using? :rolleyes:

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i use o&o clevercache, perfectdisk, ccleaner, tuneup utilities, winnertweak, and winxp manager.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  3. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I just use a good defrager and a reg cleaner.

4. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I have used Cacheman in the past. But it mainly just makes registry edits that you can do yourself manually. ;)

5. Alec

Alec Registered Member

Other than a few core things like disk defragmentation, registry repair & cleaning, and some configurable system settings that can be tweaked depending upon machine role and situation... most system "optimizers" aren't really all that useful, especially the memory optimizers. Mark Russinovich, a well-respected Microsoft Windows authority that develops much of the freeware at Sysinternals wrote a good article on this subject for Windows IT Pro titled The Memory-Optimization Hoax.

6. Beef

Beef Guest

optimizers are rarely needed or even actually useful. A good Defrag and keeping up with a clean registry does as good as most people will need.
    The trick isn't the installing of optimizers but instead the tweaking of the system itself. There are numerous registry changes that can be made that will greatly improve overall system enhancement.
    Just the simple tweaking of your Port settings can often help . People go out an purchase those nice new computers with tons of memory and ram then run those computers with Port settings of 9600 that M$ pre-sets. AWFUL!

Its rather sad that so many computer users either forgot or never knew how to tweak computers an now must rely on optimizers.

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

actual i find system (not memory) tweakers useful and appealing to those not wanting to mess with the registry and local security policy. also for the port settings, i assume ur referring to serial ports? how many people actaully use their serial ports? very very few.

8. Beef

Beef Guest

No, in particular I had COM port in mind, an as for those who don't mess in the registry its usually because they don't know how (so, its best the stay out of the registry)

IMO there is no excuse for installing needless optimizers unless the person doing so is an absolute Newbee.....or, a person pretending not to be a newbee but actually is.

9. Beef

Beef Guest

A final comment

Those who need optimizers should use optimizers but do so knowing there are other means to tweak computers manually.
    Continued installing and removal of needless programs will eventualy damage a system.
    An lets not forget that the more thats installed the more that can get infected or hacked.......less is best! Keep the system a real system an not a toy chest.

10. minceypw

minceypw Registered Member

Is there a tutorial/manual on how to keep a clean registry? The registry cleaners I've seen have caveats with warnings to the effect that if you arn't sure of what you are doing, best leave alone. Needless to say, that is enough to put off non-technical people like me from running the cleaner.

11. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

(diskeeper, defrag) and (Ashampoo system utilities/disc cleaner/regcleaner)

12. abhi_mittal

abhi_mittal Registered Member

I use Ace Utilities

13. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

14. Beef

Beef Guest

minceypw

Below is a link to a tutorial that is... UN-KNOWN TO ME ....but may be of some use if you care to try it. If you learn just one thing from it then its worth the download :

WinTricks

Description
    WinTricks is jam packed publication filled with tips, tricks an secrets for Win 95, 98, NT, ME, 2000, XP.

It has robust sections on all versions of Windows, plus the Registry, Desktop, AOL, Laptop, Internet, and more.

WinTricks includes sections on all versions of Windows, plus the Registry, Desktop, AOL, Laptop, Internet, and more.

http://freewarearena.com/html/Downloads/details/id=1581.html

will keep a eye open for anything that may help you. REMEMBER always BACKUP prior to making ANY changes to the registry.....an WRITE DOWN everything you changed in case you need to change it back....

As for registry cleaners I do not know of any totally safe to use ones....they all present the user with some degree of risk...... an in-experience users eventually find that out to late. Most computers have tons of registry listing that are actually good and needed but Cleaners will show them during a scan........this is confusing to a new person an is best left alone. Cleaning the registry is not an absolute "must do" to have a good system. Do not be mis-led.......sure, its great to keep up with removing the trash entries but not an absolute must do......computers can function fine with clutter of left behind un-installs if need be.....its not really a big deal....its better to leave some clutter than to remove a much needed "dll" by mistake.
    Cleaning and Tweaking are much differant..........there are some good websites to teach tweaking.

15. Beef

Beef Guest

16. Beef

Beef Guest

17. minceypw

minceypw Registered Member

Thanks beef for those links. Very much appreciated!! Looks like I just got my weekend homework.;)

18. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Ace Utilities user here too.
    SuperCleaner for cleaning browser caches.

19. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

For me this is my list:
    • TuneUp Utilities
    • O&O CleverCache
    • mst Defrag

20. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

The only ultility I run real time is MST defrag.

I tried O&O Clever cache, never noticed any performance benifits on my servers or workstation, memory optimisers don't work in win nt/2k/xp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.