What software would best fit these preferences?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by reardear, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reardear

reardear Registered Member

I'm looking for something easy to use and hopefully hassle-free. I use Sandboxie but sometimes I feel uneasy about using it or programs I'm trying don't work properly. I have used Returnil a few years ago but ended up in a situation where I had to reformat my laptop because of it.

I'd like to use it to try out software as well as programs that may not be safe.
    • doesn't require rebooting (just a preference, doesn't matter)
    • not bulky (preference)
    • secure
    • can move files back to the real environment

Any suggestions?

RAM: 4 GB

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I suggest you take a look at Shadow Defender, Toolwiz TimeFreeze or Wondershare TimeFreeze. I used them all and like them all. Like you, I use this type of programs for trying other programs out. The ones:cool: I used have never given me any kind of problems.

Bo

3. reardear

Thanks for the suggestions! What are the differences between the two Time Freeze products? One seems to be free and updated recently while the other requires purchasing and hasn't been updated in a while. I don't mind getting the paid version if it's better.

Do you have any suggestions for testing programs that may be infected? I read that Time Freeze (the ToolWiz one) wouldn't be good for that.

4. bo elam

I see you are using W7. In my W7, TTF and SD perform very well but that's not the case with WTF. WTF was great in my XP but not very good in W7. I don't test programs that might be malicious but Shadow Defender is probably the better one for that.

Bo

5. guest

guest Guest

No Bo, don't abbreviate Wondershare TimeFreeze. People might get it wrong lol. :argh:

To the OP, IMO the best method to test unsafe programs is by using VM. Needs some configurations though, and you'll need some firepower too. Other than that, Shadow Defender seems to be a great choice. I've never tested it personally but I heard quite favored mentions by some people. :)

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Another vote for Shadow Defender, simple, secure, and one can commit files to the real volume. That is not to say that the other examples suggested by Bo aren't good... I haven't tried them myself.

7. reardear

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried Time Freeze because it says it's only one click, but that's only if you're saving changes. Bummer. I'm going to try Shadow Defender!

8. bo elam

All of this programs are pretty similar regarding having to do click, click, click, to save or drop changes. If you did not like TF because you got to do more than one click to get what you want, probably you wont like SD neither. But that's a shame because this programs are very useful.

Bo

9. littleturle

littleturle Registered Member

Toolwiz Time Machine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.