What should I really use: Google Chrome or Comodo Dragon?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by CoolWebSearch, Dec 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

Google Chrome does not protect privacy, so should I use Comodo Dragon instead of Google Chrome?
    How good Comodo Dragon is when it comes to protection and security?

2. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

With Chrome it is the same what ever browser that family browser you use. Dragon is just another Chrome browser under a different name.

You can use scriptblockers with Chrome family browsers, myself I am using Scriptblock. It can be easy, just it is nothing like NoScript with Firefox. But even NoScript does not help you much.

They won't help any if you are using something like Skype, with skype name resolvers none of the script blockers can keep you much private. And logging as I just did to wilders posting this will keep my privacy not protected. Wilders is not the only security site where posting our messages leaves our privacy something to be missed.

I like this site for the information I have got over the years and shared of the little knowledge I know, same time posting a reply to you gets me vulnerable.

I can't express myself more, so don't ask me a reply to this post.

3. guest

guest Guest

You can disable the privacy oriented options in the settings. Can't be sure if there are other things which are not visible to the users by any means. Some disadvantages of Comodo Dragon:
    - The flash isn't as sandboxed as Chrome's
    - There is a considerable amount of delay until Dragon gets a version update. For example, if Chromium now is at version 33, Chrome now is at version 31, and Dragon is still at version 30
    - There are 2 extensions pre-installed in Dragon, which I believe would be totally pointless for you
    - No PDF viewer

TBH, both are closed source software. If you don't need flash and the PDF viewer, why don't just go with Chromium? It's an open source software and you can audit the code yourself. Well yeah, updating it manually is painful, but there's an extension to make updating Chromium to be easier:
    hxxps://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/chromium-updater/hcmicnfbmcjhlbdohdmdhfjlbigkcddl?hl=en

Never used it myself, but it seems to get favorable reviews from the users.

4. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

As far as I know, Google Chrome is an open source software.
    Also, big thanks to both for your answers and advices.

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Chromium is open-source, but Chrome includes proprietary components like built-in Flash and PDF Reader.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Just switched one of my secondary browsers. Still holding on to Opera 12.16. But I got rid of Comodo Dragon & the god awful Opera Next (they killed Kenny those B******s!). And I added back Chromium which I've used before. Really enjoying Chromium so far. Don't think I'll be missing Dragon & what a relief to get rid of that POS Opera Next.

7. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

After using (in this order) Chrome, Dragon, Chromium, I ended up using Chrome again (and only it).
    As others said, Dragon is just Chrome with another dress, but also I have got some issues with auto-updating extensions which actually did not update.
    With Chromium I had an issue with Startpage (I reported this issue to the devs, they are investigating on it) set as default engine.

With Chrome all runs smooth and fast: just set proper settings and use an excellent extension like HTTP Switchboard which - in my view - outperforms any noscript/scriptsafe extension.

8. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Comodo Dragon gives you the option to use their DNS instead of your ISP.

9. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

after ditching Opera, i tried Chrome. i had problems with add-ons not updating or not working after a Chrome update. Chrome was also incredibly slow! this was the deal breaker. not to mention the privacy issues with chrome. so i tried Dragon, and what a difference: it's fast, no problems with the add-ons, and no privacy issues. i also like the PrivDog extension, which does it's job quite well.

10. guest

guest Guest

Aw c'mon, Dragon and Chrome are not too different in terms of your privacy concern. Get Chromium if you want transparency.

11. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

You can try russian Yandex (english) or Mail.ru browsers (Amigo social based and Internet with WOT, but both in Russian). They all have sandboxed flash and extensions.

P.S. I would not touch anything made by Comodo, I would rather use Google instead or NSA browser. :p

12. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

why, is Dragon worse than Chrome? i highly doubt this. i guess it's a personal option. when i tried it, Chrome was slow as hell -> light-years away from how it was advertised. but no problems with Dragon (or other browsers). could you recommend the NSA browser? i might try it, just to let the guys know i'm alive and well... :)

13. ance

ance formerly: fmon

+1 :thumb:

14. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Yes I can. Chrome and Internet Explorer.

As for the OPs question. You have to figure out what you worry about more? Privacy or Security? Chrome with sandboxed flash and built in PDF viewer will be much more secure than Comodo or Chromium. But If you want more privacy then I would avoid the NSA browsers. But then you should also switch out of the NSA operating systems. So if you are running Windows you might as well run Chrome with sandboxed flash.

15. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I love how people will fret about privacy concerns about Chrome but not Chromium, because Chromium is open source, but then they'll run it all on Windows.

16. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Exactly! You might as well run Google Chrome in Windows. You will at least get the extra security. There is no point of running anything privacy related on Windows unless you are tweaking the hell out of XP like noone_particular does. There is no hope for any privacy on Windows 7 or 8.

17. guest

guest Guest

Well, at least for the browser itself one can have a peace of mind if the software is open source. Where to use it is a different matter. But as someone who is known for being a privacy mafia, I agree that it's a half-faced effort. :p

18. locjo

locjo Registered Member

use srware iron or chromium

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.