What should happen to Yahoo?

Discussion in 'polls' started by bktII, Feb 8, 2008.

?

What should happen with Yahoo?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2008.
  1. Microsoft should acquire Yahoo.

7 vote(s)
    9.2%
  2. Google should acquire Yahoo.

9 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. Yahoo should remain independent.

38 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Don't care, doesn't matter, etc.

22 vote(s)
    28.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bktII

bktII Registered Member

Lot's of buzz on the internet about Microsoft's bid for Yahoo. What do you think? And why?

2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Yahoo should remain independent, but if they are struggling to get the visitors to their site, they must ask themselves why.

I use Google for my searches because of the sheer simplicity of their site. It's not a portal like Yahoo is.

3. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

How about changing their name to McYahoo

4. bktII

bktII Registered Member

I voted for Yahoo to remain independent. I think that competition is important and like to have 'players' in the mix that are not titans.

Similar to Microsoft's purchase of non-voting shares of Apple back in 1997 (I believe that these shares have since been sold), I would like to see Google do the same with Yahoo. Perhaps this would give Yahoo a boost?

I also agree with TonyW that Yahoo needs to ask some pointed questions.

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I like things just as they are. Microsoft should spend that surplus revenue on revisiting windows 98/me to reclaim some customer confidence and loyalty as a true hi-tech conglomerate and then later maybe approach search kings like Yahoo.

This is nothing more than another arrogant power play on behalf of microsoft's own selfish motives to try to bump off equal players. Google has the lock on search criteria in the web and rightly so, they worked hard to be where they are.

Yahoo still has enough gumption to maintain second to Google and thats no small feat of it's own IMO.

Microsoft is just being a BULLY and with cash reserves to back them up, they would be better off pulling off ultimate surprises by remaking again windows 98/Me instead of casting them off like they never existed. They are so blind to this fact or else are stricken with the sickness of their selfish desire to drive all aspects of the web at the expense of their own reputation.

In other words, their heavy cash surplus means more for them to run over established businesses in an attempt to elevate their position in markets they really don't need, but would rather gloat at being on top of even the search engines.

Poor Vista returns should be evidence enough to them that they left their Windows 98/Me customers behind and should use that surplus to address those O/S's again instead of trying to monopolize everything that runs on their O/S's.

Still even if they would capture Yahoo, that poses no real threat unless they redirect their O/S's to their new acquisition for web searches, something Google is very aware of ATM.

6. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Yahoo should remain independent

7. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Well they have to do something to rival Google and acquiring Yahoo will give them a boost where they languish behind, importantly to them the ad share/revenue.

I voted for Yahoo to stay as they are.

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

For the benefit of the users, Yahoo should remain independant in my opinion. If taken over by Google or Microsoft there is no doubt that the parts of yahoo that are appreciated and used by millions will almost have to change. And change in a merger or take over is not always good for the consumer.:mad:

9. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I agree but u get bet dollars to donuts that ain't gonna happen unfortunately...

snowbound

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I agree as well.
    BTW, i stumbled upon this:

Beyond Search and Advertising

If Microsoft purchases Yahoo, the popular Internet property would contribute a lot more than ad revenue.

http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/20162/?nlid=857

And this :D :

Chief of Japan's Softbank in talks with Yahoo about Microsoft takeover bid
    http://www.technologyreview.com/Wire/20174/?nlid=863

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Windows 98 had its day and I didn't think ME was very good. It was time to move on. Xp is pretty good and critizism of Vista is dieing down as people upgrade to new machines and software vendors release new versions of programs. Microsoft by trying to aquire Yahoo is only doing what in other areas of commerce would be considered a good business move. It's called growth through aquisition. I also hope Yahoo stays independent but won't be to concerned if it doesn"t. Some people might want to equate Bill Gates with Darth Vader but it's a bit of stretch.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  12. 031

031 Registered Member

I would like to see yahoo under Google :D

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Excuse me please The Hammer.

That is exactly the point. Windows 98/Me yes of course is outdated, abandoned, and left in the past. Thats the way $M left it.

.....And Thats the very reason Microsoft has everything to gain by revisiting them again and at least bringing them up to near if not equal XP standards with enhancements thrown in for good measure.

It boggles the mind and i for one simply cannot believe how on earth former users of that system seem so bent on forgetting it like $M as though it never existed in the first place in spite of it's obvious limitations at the time.

You just don't throw technology flat out the door because of age or lack of attention, you rebuild it again. Theres always a more practical and intelligent alternative than that. It was not only useful but in fact catapulted Microsoft into the very position that they enjoy today, so just wherein lies the Logic in just simply cancelling altogether the very product that is brought about a better system of innovations & improvements that XP customers enjoy today?

That to me is just another one of those press ahead policies that eventually cripple both reputation and loyalty. Although they could stop altogether and just focus attention on building games like X-Box i suppose.

Does anyone at all get this drift? It's no different then when you owned a 327 chevy when the 427 showed much more horsepower and promise, yes it was faster and newer maybe, but punch out the 327's cylinder walls to 30 0r 60 hi-dome pistons and add a 386 lift 320 duration cam with a dual-point distributor and maybe even a 5:13 ring & pinion and it'll blow the doors off the 427 in spite of it's larger size easy. An accurate enough analogy i think.

We are after all still dealing with machines here, or in this case operating systems that have been ignored.

14. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

EASTER said: "It's no different then when you owned a 327 chevy when the 427 showed much more horsepower and promise, yes it was faster and newer maybe, but punch out the 327's cylinder walls to 30 0r 60 hi-dome pistons and add a 386 lift 320 duration cam with a dual-point distributor and maybe even a 5:13 ring & pinion and it'll blow the doors off the 427 in spite of it's larger size easy."

Sounds like somebody wasn't always into computers.

I had a Roadrunner 426 Hemi w/dual quads that I got when I got out of the Army in '68, which also gives you an idea of my age. In high school, I ran around in a 51 Ford that I will go to my grave believing was the best car I ever owned. Flatheads never die.

But, in regards MS and Yahoo. Yahoo should stay independent. Microsoft wants it all. Personally, I think MS sells a great mouse and a fine keyboard. I can envision nothing but bad if they get their hands on Yahoo.

That said, I don't use either Yahoo or Google.

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hi Chuck57, the generous soul who converted me to Power Shadow which i still use to this very day. I LUV IT! Even now, can't thank you enough.

Yeah, i got another nastalgia for you i bet you remember, recall the Chrysler HEMI's :D A motor with spark plugs sticking up out from the valve cover? :eek:

Awesome good ole days indeed.

My feelings are unsure/mixed on any merger and/or the takeover attempt by M$.

Whatever happens we'll just have to go with the flow as usual. I really don't see Yahoo +Google ever teaming up, Yahoo has some useful advantages in their favor but no doubt are thinking long and hard if it will raise their position any by either merger or outright selling to the O/S maker.

Only time will tell. LoL

16. lilies34

lilies34 Registered Member

i think yahoo should remain independent. they're already doing well by themselves so why should they team up with some other company?

17. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Sorry but no they don't. Get your drift that is. Microsoft has little if anything to gain from your proposal and neither due hardware makers. As for throwing technology out the door, well Apple did it when they went to a Unix based OS didn't they? They are probably better for it, and there users as well.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2008
  18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I respectively contest that line of thinking as flawed and time will record in history as a fatal mistake IMO.

You do not throw away what can still be preserved and Windoes 98/Me even under another similiar name are still very prime candidates to elevate and redeem some reputation lost from $M as a responsible entity in failing to redress their past creations. It is well within their means afterall and to their advantage if they ever get their head out of their rear side and review their own history. If it was so terribly a flawed product why then did they release it in the first place, and furthermore much was learned how to improve on subsequent new releases such as XP. It's a no lose proposition to redraw upon them again if for the final writing for them as well as recapture those customers who felt slighted enough by the neglect to move in droves as they,ve done and statistics point out that fact in support to Apple, Linux and other alternatives after being forced to accept that policy of pure neglect on $M's part. They have many other ventures that fill that void such as X-Box and such, but they done a great disservice to themselves as well as their customers who contributed to their success by them.

It's utterly foolhearty but then the rich have always taken their own selfish desires ahead of their contributors who propelled them to fame. It's an age old pattern that will end in a demise sooner or later if they continue to turn a blind eye as they are bent on carrying out.

19. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

20. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

That's a near impossible feat. As a 98SE user myself, the 9x kernel and APIs are flawed in so many ways that bringing them to moderm standards would be a titanic task with near zero ROI. 9x isn't viable in a business environment, its network stack is weak, the resource thingie is hilarious, the 16-bit back-end is a ballast, the driver model is obsolete, etc.
    NT-based systems are reliable and moderm (NT was the first thing that Microsoft did half-way well and it isn't a Microsoft work at all), work nicely in networked environments, support all the new standards, etc.
    OTOH, I agree that Microsoft should have served 9x customers in a better way, releasing Service Packs and fixing some outstanding issues.

21. bktII

bktII Registered Member

22. cortez

cortez Registered Member

I want to see a great bloody battle to get better than one another and produce two great products with their "snooping" cut out of the equation.

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Absolutely untrue, but not meant to contradict your opinion at all, in fact i respect with all courtesy your opinion of that suggestion.

The truth is IF they are such the technological giant of intelligent minds they've proven to be so far, then a small feat such as that should be but child's play for them. They are not in the business of rocket or orbital sciences, but computer sciences, and since they already have created 98/ME, given it's minor internal compositions and code, don't be fooled into believeing that they are incapable or can't easily reconstruct them again to modern standards, otherwise we wouldn't even have an XP today at all.

Consider it objectively.

24. PierreF

PierreF Registered Member

I like w95 and w98 too. IE5 was much better then IE6.
    I hope Yahoo stays independent. On the other hand If MS will buy them maybe there will be more room for european and asian searchengines

25. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Let's do a re-focus Please and discuss what should happen to Yahoo.

While the OS discussion can be an interesting one, it's off topic to this thread. Therefore, a thread strictly for that discussion is requested Please.

Thanks,
    Bubba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.