what security measures to take

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by pravbk, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pravbk

pravbk Registered Member

i dont know where to put this topic.and if it braeks the forum rules, mods please delete it.
    by this time i think everyone knows about the recent bombings in india.but this thread is not about bombings.it is about, an email which was sent to the local tv station by terror organisation claiming thier name for bombings.when cops investigated that where that email came from, it was from an american who was working in a local company. later it was getting clear that his isp network was hacked and sent that email to tv station.
    im not into that whole thing. the concern is a lot people are not using proper security solutions. in these kind of situations like above it is clear that everyone who uses internet have to have good security solutions(whether novice or security expert).
    what do you think?
    and what security measures can be taken?

2. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

I am too from India. So let me first, get the facts straight.

The authorities traced the email source to an IP from mumbai. After check with ISP they found that it was a IP given statically to this American dude.
    The American claims he never sent the mail, but since he uses a Wi-Fi router with his ADSL router. He says, the Wi-Fi network was hacked.

Simplest security measures you can take:
    * Use Wi-Fi with WPA2 to provide grade encryption. Ensure the wi-fi router has a good firewall/IDS to withstand attack. Change the default SSID and password. And at the worst case of paranoia , stop using wi-fi due its inherent security deficits.
    * Since the guy, used a ADSL connection with PPPoE for authentication. Change your ADSL router settings. Ensure that the ADSL CPE doesn't auto-dial PPP connection. Make your PC dial PPP when necessary. This way, you can curb the net connectivity.
    * Of course, having a good security suite on your PC would also help. Incase its a social hacker, who has access to your PC.

This is some of the basic steps I can think off.

Note to Moderators : I am not sure this belongs in antivirus forum. Please move it to the correct forum, where the experts can provide further assistance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.