What Router Should I Get?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Brandonn2010, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Carver

Carver Registered Member

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I have the Netgear WNR3500L and it is a great router. But it is old and does not support the latest wifi protocol (802.11ac). So I would not recommend it. It is likely your next phone (and notebook, tablet and other wireless devices) will support 11ac. Don't you want your router to take full advantage of their faster speed capabilities?

I say buy the latest technologies today to carry you further into the future. If I was looking for a new Netgear router (and when ready, I will serious consider Netgear again), I would look at one of these.

Note too, $194 is way more than I paid for my 3500L 4 years ago (I think I paid $139). Because that unit is no longer in production, that seller is gouging the price IMO. Not cool! :(

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Thank you for the reply. Yea, I was planning to do some googling for the price. I guess I will continue to look for a better one.

4. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

I :-* NETGEAR, too. :thumb:

5. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  6. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I saw that too. As you noted, very pricey. Most users don't need anything near that. If you have a herd of kids and many multiple devices connecting at once doing a lot of simultaneous "local" high-bandwidth networking/streaming tasks, then, maybe, I could justify the cost. Otherwise, a much more basic wireless router will do for most scenarios.

7. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Maybe planning for future expansion.

[edit]The Netgear- Nighthawk just changed to 170.00

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-X4S-MU-MIMO-R7800-100NAS/dp/B0192911RA/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.