What r u using?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Anhydrous, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anhydrous

Anhydrous Registered Member

Hi all,
    Just was wondering what everyone here is using to get rid of viruses,spyware,malware,etc...off of their(and customers) pc's? I am a repair tech who gets alot of calls about virus problems on their comps and while NOD32 takes care of most problems it isnt finding/killing all that I see daily.What other products do you recommend using to rid pc's once they are completely infected in a seriously bad way? Thanks to all !

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Have you tried "Slaving" the infected drive off a clean NOD32 protected system and running a scan on it that way?

If a machine is already infected before installing NOD23, all bets are off. Sometimes a system can be so badly hosed, a format is the best option, unless the customer wants to pay you for hours of your time...

Cheers :D

3. Anhydrous

Yes I have taken some if not all off slaving it but just wanted some other software ideas and thoughts of what you guys use along with Nod32.Also,that's the same answer I have told the customers about time/labor vs. a format.;)

Basically just wanting to know what you pros have in your toolkit other than Nod32 :)

Regards

Anhydrous

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I usually use the mcafee standalone virus scanner and ewido micro to clean up a system.

5. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    On my USB thumb drive "bag of tricks"....I carry most of the removal tools out there. But I find the core ones that I use....

CCleaner
    SuperAntispyware
    Spybot Search and Destroy
    Adaware
    XP TCP/Winsock repair utility

First thing I do is disable system restore, install and update the above apps...I manually inspect the registries "Run" areas..delete any badguys that I recognize...and reboot into safe mode. I run CCleaner first, then the others...some infected PCs can have MASSIVE temp directories...which can add SUBSTANTIAL amounts of scanning time using the above scanners..so may as well delete that w/ccleaner and save myself time.

I used to use Microsofts Antispyware..but found since it went to Defender..it's just not been as useful, falling behind. Used to also use Ewido..but haven't used since Grisoft picked them up. SpySweeper was another good scanner...they had a trial version. But honestly since SuperAntispyware came out...I've found that to be the most effective program.

Run the TCP repair..reboot...see how things go from there.

6. Anhydrous

thanks for the info YeOlde :thumb:
    Not sure I would trust Mcafee to virus removal duties though,but thats just my opinion. ;)

7. pykko

pykko Registered Member

NOD32, Ad-Aware or SuperAntispyware or specific cleaning tools if I happen to guess the worm causing the infection.

8. Anhydrous

thnx pykko.I went ahead and purchased superantispyware today and im sure glad i did.it saved my arse :D

9. pykko

pykko Registered Member

it's a strong anti-spyware. Good choice ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.