What pc desktop package will you prefer?

Discussion in 'polls' started by sweater, Jan 4, 2006.

?

What pc desktop package would you prefer to buy?

1. Acer

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  2. Dell

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. HP

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. IBM

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. Compaq

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Apple

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  7. others

20 vote(s)
    47.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Custom build pc is of course maybe are much better for some but.... :rolleyes:
    If ever you choose for yourself a pc desktop all-in-one package, what would you prefer? :cautious: o_O

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2006
  2. Arup

Arup Guest

Custom built here since 486DX days, built myself a quad CPU system then, now both my dual CPU machines all hand built with hand picked components and cost me way less than a branded dual CPU system.

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

My belief & I've seen it time after time. Is that the vast majority of pc desktop all-in-one packages have glaring weaknesses. And if the user puts the machine to any hard use other than checking email a couple times a day. These weaknesses will kill the pc in less than 2yrs. The primary culperts are pos PSU no matter how many watts. Watts are a joke it's stability & true power not bs claims. And the other main culpert is lack of cooling, fans, & or improper flow through the tower.
    So I say build it yourself. Or pay someone else to build it & RESEARCH the parts.
    Or buy a cheapo pc desktop all-in-one package. And be prepared to throw it out after 18mos or so.

4. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Just looking around the office:
    Acer - Keyboard bust after a few months.
    HP - CD Rom drive failled after 6 months, cant get a cd burner to work at all on it either.
    Dell - Slow Hdd and some strange bottleneck which I guess is the motherboard which makes multitasking hardwork. But its 2 years old (p2.4) and its been 100% reliable. So that is the best of a bad bunch for me.

zapjb, your right, these guys are out to make money, not good computers, they will make shortcuts where possible to increase profit margins, not just bulk buying, but cheaper spec components, eg dells serverly limited motherboards.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Velocity Micro is the only show in town for me. They build to order and not much more than Dell. Don't force a lot of software crap down your throat. They have some give aways on software, but always optional. Also you get not only an actual recovery DVD set, but the real Windows OS disk also.

Support is excellent. Rarely takes more than 5 minutes on the phone, to get a right answer. If they say they will call back, they do.

I've bought 3 machines from them, 1 high end desktop, 1 low end desktop, and one high end laptop. All have proven to be excellent performs, with no issues so far. Desktop is 2.5 years old, Laptop is 6 months.

Pete

6. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

When asked, I recommend a custom built computer. I've taken many to a great local shop where I've had a good relationship for many years. Before going, I have the person make a list of what she/he wants to use the computer for. Not a gamer? Then why spend for a super video card.

The person ends up with the components that fit the need. The shop warranties everything .

Also, the person establishes a relationship with the shop for tech support if/when needed, and for upgrades later if wanted.

I set it up so that the person can watch the computer being assembled. Not that the user will ever necessarily poke around inside, but that the mystique and fear of the unknown is squelched right there. Why, it's not so mysterious after all. Here is your hard drive, etc.

I think this is a great starting point for the person becoming an intelligent and aware user.

7. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

Are there any resources I can look to regarding building my own system or having one built for me? Around here, even the small stores that build systems tend to sell their computers in a limited number of set packages.

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I see a lot on negative remarks about pre built computers. I have been useing HP computers for more years than I care to remember and out of probably at least twenty computers I had an HDD go bad in an HP back when a six Gigabyte HDD was large. I had a replacement drive shipped overnight with no questions ask. That is pretty good service from prebuilt computers over that many years with only one drive bad out of all the comps I have had.

9. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

I always had mine custom built back from 95.... but about 18 months ago, I could not be bothered when getting a new one for my daughter, so bought an Acer.

Now, it ran fine, but had to get a new HDD after 6 months or so, but that can/does happen to custom build ones anyway.
    If I ever get another new PC for myself, it definitely would be custom built from the case in.

TAS

10. Ailric

Ailric Guest

My brother still uses my old 1997 Gateway 2000 - 200mhz. 3.2 gig HD 2mb video. The only two problems were a dead monitor (after 6 years) and dead floppy drive. Still works fine.

I bought myself an HP bundle simply because I couldn't beat the price.

My next computer wil be a Mac. I've always had a case of Mac envy.

11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

My new computer is a custum build one.
    I wanted speed : fast CPU, large RAM, two fast harddisks.
    So I have spent most of my money on these 4 components.
    The rest of the components weren't that important for me.
    Now I'm ready for multi-tasking, partitioning, image backup and a good response-time for all my other applications.

If you are a gamer (I'm not) you need a better video card than me :)

12. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

id prefer building my own computer otherwise i would pick a gaming computer like Falcon Northwest or Voodoo PC. also its worth noting that brand name computer are better value if u spend a small (like $400) amount of money, whereas custom built PCs are better if u spend thousands.

13. Gary Graham

Gary Graham Registered Member

Some people thought I was crazy, but so far I like my Emachines AMD Athlon XP (32)
    I have not had one problem with it, and I am constantly installing/uninstalling/reinstalling things on it. (I like testing software)

So far so good ...

Gary

14. dog

dog Guest

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with a Dell, HP ... or Alienware Desktop (slick) :)

For laptops I like some of Acer's offerings as well as Dell's.

I'd grab an Apple if I had spare cash, just to play with ... A PC expert friend of my swears my Macs ... I'd love to give it a whirl.

But your best bet remains a custom build/self built unit. :cool:

15. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Do they have a place in the UK, or is there anywhere as good as them which make custom spec machines?

Thanks

16. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

17. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

My first PC was a Micron, and it ran 5 years without any problem, and I replaced it just this Jan. I gave it to a friend and it is still running with W98. The replacement is a Dell, and so far so good.

The thought that "package" PCs are junk does not fit with the experience of my (limited I admit), or those I know who have them.

I guess some have bad experiences, but to say that they are junk reflects a lack of overall knowledge of thousands which last for years getting a lot of use, although not professional use.

Jerry

18. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

You would love them dog *puppy* , especially for graphics. I would absolutely recommend one if you are heavy into photo/image/graphic manipulation as it just seems to work better. :cautious: [oh, I will get arguments over that, but unless you have used Macs/PCs side by side for image work, you honestly don't get the same]

I've worked with Macs for several years now, and even the older OSs were pretty good, but the new 10xs are so stable, fast, and multi-tasking is a breeze. http://www.apple.com/macosx/

Even on an old Mac [about 6 years old now] at work, we can have up to 20-25 programs running [including Acrobat, QuarkXPress, CorelDraw, Photoshop, Pagination programs all of each can use resources].

The PC's at work are all Dells and they do seem reliable, some of which are also used to do a lot of multi-tasking, especially one which is a main PC for clients to download to.

Recently got a laptop for my daughter, it's an Optima, and I was pleasantly surprised by it, pretty fast considering it only come with 128MbRAM, but it had NO pre-loaded 'help' programs on it. Just OS and Acrobat Reader. ;)

TAS

19. home built

home built Guest

I know only what I learned on the internet - and with no "hands on" experience, I built 2 computers that are running great and this one runs 24/7. No problems at all. It's too easy. In my mind, a child can build one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.