what os

Discussion in 'polls' started by rarebeast, May 5, 2008.

?

what os?

1. windows

92 vote(s)
    78.0%
  2. macintosh

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. linux

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  4. other (if so please say)

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. a bit of all !

15 vote(s)
    12.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

XP Pro SP2

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Linux ubuntu (love it!) primarily and XP Pro when needed, both installed on one system, dual boot.

3. koliko

koliko Registered Member

I absolutely agree!
    I also run Vista when needed (rarely).

4. rarebeast

rarebeast Registered Member

Same here!

5. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

There probably aren't many Mac users hanging out at Wilders. They don't really have security concerns like Windows users :)

6. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Windows XP Pro SP2/3, Vista SP1 64 bit, Some Linux Isos.

7. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Still, windows xp sp2 pro. Even if some problem exist with it, still one that suits me. For Vista? Hhmmnn...maybe, next yr I will try this. :cool:

8. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

Vista (64) is like a compulsive hoarder, 14 GB of merely superfluous files.
    If you want to wait 3 hours for save/load of your backups then choose vista otherwise stay with xp. BTW Experts making pressure on Microsoft to reduce this mass of files. Their dream is that Windows 7 becomes small enough for only one cd.

9. sbcc

sbcc Guest

I use a bunch of different operating systems on a regular basis, on a number of different computers.

I like Linux best. It runs great on my "ancient" hardware, even virutalized. It's also a handy tool for exploring infected Windows environments with a minimum of risk. I focus on PCLinuxOS, Mandriva, Puppy and the 'Buntus. I tried dozens of distros in the past but time is a factor now. I like fast, easy to use, well-documented distros and these fit the bill. PCLinuxOS has been the most trouble-free distro on my laptop and it is the default OS.

XP and 2000 are fine too, if practicing safe surfing habits with good tools installed.

I detest Vista. Don't get me started ranting about it. If I didn't have to support it, I'd ditch it.

No Apple stuff. At least not yet. There are very few Mac users here so I haven't invested the time or money in the hardware to learn it. Maybe in the future. It seems to me that Linux offers the same advantages without the expense. Maybe I'm just cheap.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2008
  10. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Am planning to skip Vista altogether, as long as all the apps I need continue to work in XP, and I have no doubt they will for some time to come.

11. cortez

cortez Registered Member

XP Pro as long as programs such as SandboxIE and Returnil are not available on any Linux I do not see me using any of the installed distros again for a while (I do like the Live CD versions though).

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

This means you simply do not understand how Linux works.
    You don't need sandbox or virtual installation programs for Linux:

- You are running as limited account and you can't touch system areas in the first place.
    - You want to uninstall something without a trace? Delete its directory ....

You want the inferior Windows design to go over to other OS?

Mrk

13. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Windows XP SP2
    Ubuntu 7.10

I will wait a while before installing Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. There seem to
    be an inordinate number of problems mainly with nVidia/ATI and
    booting problems (busybox initramfs etc. even with Live CD I needed
    to add all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll to the boot parameters in
    order to run the Live CD. I used all 3 extra parameters but I know
    that I could have left out irqpoll and maybe floppy=off)

Ubuntu 7.10 is problem free and running great on my system, so I am
    a bit wary of doing a clean install of 8.04

14. cortez

cortez Registered Member

Your are the expert, so I am confused on the great number of articles about the rise of Linux vulnerabilities and attacks
    by malware against Linux. I have even run into a forum where Linux groups have approched SandboxIE to get a Linux version going.

I think perhaps they do not have the level of expertize that you have concerning Linux. As a Linux Administrator you are most likely correct on Linux's ability on self protection and thus is not in need of applications such as Sandboxie or Returnil.

Either way Linux does not offer the vast library of software ( that I utilize or would likely utilize) that runs on Windows, and this alone would make XP my chose for a very good OS if one is prudent on what one does with it.

Sandboxie and Returnil make XP a Linux "analogue" (here I mean functionally not conceptually [ I am not gunning for a semantic/epistemological shoot out here] ) when one thinks about it. So for now and until Linux gets tons of new software (as easily configured as the Windows versions) , drivers ect. I have to maintain my stance that XP is the right chose for my needs.

EDITS: the edits are in parenthesis and quotations.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Again, you are mistaken. The quantity of software available for various Linux distros is quite a bit larger than for Windows. However, the lack of specialized software that some people require - like Photoshop or games - is what makes so many people disregard the vast pool of programs for NIX based OSs.

I have no problem with XP, I like it very much and use it very much.

It's just that security concepts are not linear and cannot be translated from Windows to Linux just like that. Not only is this unneeded, it's even wrong.

SBIE and Returnil cannot be analogous to Linux because the entire concept of the OS is different, beginning from the very basics.

However, SBIE and Returnil ARE excellent tools for XP. No dispute about that. It's just that the game becomes something else entirely when you shift to Linux.

Mrk

16. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Hi Ocky,

if you haven't already done so, you could choose the manual option when installing linux, creating a / (boot), /Home (Home) and swap partition. Whenever you install another version, you just have to install over the boot partition, leaving your Home partition alone and, of course, the swap parttition as well. This way you retain all your personal settings, documents, pictures, browser and email settings. You will only have to re-install all updates and additional programs you may have installed after your initial install.

17. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Thanks, but considering the numerous problems a lot of folks are experiencing with Hardy, I think a clean install may be better. I do intend
    to partition as you say plus a /backup partition :) (/boot is useful when an
    image needs to be restored with my ATI 9 for various reasons - I dual-boot
    with XP).
    Just a bit concerned reading about all those Hardy problems. :)

18. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I'm surprised there are so many issues. I see a few minor ones now and again as I'm using Hardy but no show stoppers.

19. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Well, that makes two of us :thumb:. Just built a new system with XP SP2 home.

20. swami

swami Registered Member

xpsp3pro until...

21. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Recently moved to vista ultimate 64-bit. After using it for a while i'm quite happy with it.

22. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

I'm now a Zenwalk nut. I love it. I won't say too much but any of you Linux people out there should give it a go. It has brought my hopping to a halt.

23. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

We use a mixture of Linux and Windows at work.

We have web servers running both (running asp.net and java and php and python).
    We have business services running both (running .net and java)
    We have database servers running both (though our biggest servers are red hat machines).

All our desktops are XP, current limitations of Linux for me personally is poor connectivity wih mobile phones and PDAs and the fact I spend most of my day developing in C# in Visual Studio.

24. mswannie

mswannie Registered Member

XP Pro SP3
    Vista Home Premium SP1
    Xandros
    Ubuntu 8.04 (on virtual machine)

So far no problems with the Hardy Heron. Love Ubuntu generally - it's so restful not to deal with all the AV conflicts. Xandros on my eeePC is fun:)

25. Jon_T

Jon_T Registered Member

Win XP Pro SP3 on two PCs and one notebook.
    Have no interest/need to update to Vista.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.