What microprocessor do you recommend?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by old school, Mar 2, 2016.

1. old school

old school Registered Member

Hi everyone :)

I'm thinking of buying a desktop computer. I'm not a gamer, I use it mainly for testing software in a virtual machine. I heard that for this use with an AMD FX might be, but that is a bit outdated.

Finally, what is your recommendation? Thanks and have a nice day :)

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

It does not matter.

I recommend you set your budget then compare the options in your price range.

3. old school

old school Registered Member

4. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

No problem. Do understand there are 100s of different CPUs currently on the market from AMD and Intel. And both makers produce quality, reliable, processors. Choosing between Intel or AMD is really just a matter of personal choice. I happen to like Intel, but an AMD platform makes for a solid performing computer too.

So you really need to set your budget, decide if you want AMD or Intel, then find a motherboard and CPU combination you like. I recommend at least 8GB of RAM though if doing a lot of VM work, 16GB might be better. Getting a CPU and motherboard combination that supports integrated video lets you use the computer while you build up the budget again for decent graphic card. Just don't forget to factor in the graphics card power requirements when buying a new power supply. And don't try to cut corners in the budget by getting a cheap power supply. You want to feed your components good, clean power.

5. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

For VMs, the more cores and threads the better. Dual core 4 thread i5s and i7s are good, quad core 8 thread i7 CPUs are much better, especially if you want multiple VMs going at once. I don't use anything with an AMD CPU these days so I'm not familiar with them at all but you would want a multi core hyperthreading CPU regardless of the manufacturer.

Also look at the built in virtualization features which are also important for VMs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.