what makes a server different

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by jredwards, May 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jredwards

jredwards Registered Member

what is different about a server that antivirus software companys sell there server products at a premium over there desktop products?
    general question i know but as this tread progress i will know how to get more specific.
    richard

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Often much different functions than a desktop operating system....that an antivirus program can interfere with...and should keep it's nose out of as far as real time protection.
    IIS
    Active Directory and DNS..various directories such as sysvol, ndts, ntfrs, some other directories in system32
    E-Mail "store"
    The fact that many client workstations will be connecting to them and working with many concurrent connections

3. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I have noticed that server operating systems are typically priced higher than desktop operating systems, too, so the price differential applies not just to utility software, but the underlying operating system as well.

I would think that development and maintenance (support) costs would be the primary differentiators.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.