What kind of Virus turned my Spywareguard off ??

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by rxtian, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rxtian

rxtian Registered Member

last night I was trying to access an cd/dvd forum. I was having problems logging in, when a PopUp appeared from "Spywarestormer". It (falsely)advertised that "Microsoft Internet Explorer" thinks I may have some spyware installed, " click the link" for more info.

I stupidly clicked the darn link, because I wanted to find out who was behind this intrusion, and drop the url into Nortons Ad Trashcan.

Minutes after clicking, I found that my IE favorites were not working, and when going to the Favorites Folder under My Documents, I found that a subfolder along with more folders and hundreds of text files, jpg files, word files, and notepad files no longer worked. They all had 0 kb listed as size. I had been using these files all day, right up until the time I clicked on that link.

Besides having Norton's Firewall installed and running - I then ran Norton anti-virus, spybot, adaware, trend micro anti virus, nortons
    online virus check and security check.

Only Adaware found a problem, two "data miner" problems. When I went to check the logfile from Spywareguard, I found that the real time scanning engine had been turned off, and I did not do it ( cross my heart)

Anybody know what kind of virus, worm, or trojan ( javascript? ) could cause this.
    What do I do to prevent this from happening again.
    Thankfully I had a recent backup of the files on an external hard drive

THANKS, Robert

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

HI rxtian....

welcome to forums...

Here is some info, not flattering I am afraid, but you already probably knew that.

I cannot answer regarding if this turned off SG or not, will take your word for that.;)

http://www.webhelper4u.com/scams/spywarestromer.html

Cheers, TAS

3. rxtian

rxtian Registered Member

TAS : thanks for the reply. I had seen that info on spywarestormer yesterday. From my search, I had expected to find info that this misleading popup was the cause of my problems. I have found no such concrete evidence as yet.

Although I really hate popup ads that are bascically come-ons (perhaps Microsoft would be interested in the misuse of their name) I am wondering if the page it sent me to had been hacked. Maybe some kind of java script was encountered. I don't know, I am a real amateur at this stuff.

I mentioned Spywareguard, because as I went thru the litany of running all my anti-virus and spyware apps, I looked down at the system tray at the Spywareguard icon, and saw that it what looked like a red X thru it. I found the Real Time Scanning Engine was disabled. Even though Spywareguard hasn't had an update in a long time, every so often I do check the log for any activity, and I check to make sure that all the options are turned.

Meanwhile, I will continue to look for the reason that one subdirectory of files in "My Documents" was affected. I find it strange that the file names weren't deleted, just the data. I am assuming that is what happened, because all the files had 0 kb listed as size

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.