What keeps users from using rollback/eazfix?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Chris12923, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

@Chris

Well, Chris i may have pinned myself in a bit much but these days one can't be too careful or complacent to the point of missing some open vector for intrusion.

I am thrilled as pink with EAZ-FIX, and with Anti-Executable + EQS things are pretty well sealed enough, and now i've entertained adding DEEP FREEZE to the mix, i see patience is a must now and have to for the most part be content to completely configure everything i can muster ahead of time in order to avoid experiencing the inevidable hesitation required to disabling BOTH those security locks just to add a program here or there, still i'm completely satisfied with this result because they all work in unison safely with the others and form quite a fence or wall that will require a herculean effort to climb past, thats for sure. EAZ-FIX makes snapshots a breeze and i finally learned to ignore any intimidation of it's baseline since i keep it updated as necessary, the rest of the snapshots are a bonus and take mere seconds if that to form and/or lock.

EASTER

2. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Can I ask why you choose to run deepfreeze along with EZ-fix? I would think you would just schedule EZ to restore on reboot?

Thanks,

Chris

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Of course.

I wanted to experiement with creating at least one completely fool-proof system that absolutely nothing could disrupt including the program's themselves. With EAZ-FIX i can reclaim my ideal setup on a whim and depend on it, DEEP FREEZE more or less although some might consider overkill, 100% seals in changes i might make in the EAZ-FIX snapshots. It's just an experiment really, but one that seems for all practical purposes to be absolutely impenetrable along with the supporting cast i've selectively chosen to monitor entry points/approaches be they known or unknown.

Seems to work very well, but most impressive of all for me anyway is the stability of combining these together in a loop.

I was mostly looking to fashion if at all possible an ideal configuration (by experimentation) where even no outside third party backup image program would need even be required.

I hope i answered at least some of those concerns for your satisfaction. If not, please feel free to pry even deeper or open some of your own opinions to touch on.

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I don't like to fiddle with my filesystem and Windows inner workings. That's why I don't use fancy visual enhancements or applications like Rollback/Eaz-Fix.
    I appreciate rock-solid stability over everything else.

5. mizar

mizar Registered Member

Is there a way to overcome this issue? I have a dual boot xp and Arch Linux setup.

qutoed from Rollback Rx v8.1 Release Notes

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Heh Well said and good adice lucas, but of course you'll always find plenty of takers who will go out on a limb and throw caution to the wind. My own particular "fancy enhancements" were well compiled by world renown and noted developers who specialize in these add-ons and is proven true to form after many months AND years so that eliminates for me taking undo chances where those are concerned.

I run into the most serious difficulties with so-called commercial apps who like to keep their staff members and developers behind closed doors, and i count RollbackRx right in that category. Instead of coming straight out to meet complaints and issues they always take the easy way out by saying, EMAIL US. Bahhh! Been there done that, some will respond like StorageCraft has for me in the past where others choose to hide benind the curtain of embarrassment if you ask me.

7. lucas1985

That's another showstopper to me.
    If it works for you, go ahead ;)
    I've done tons of custom modifications in the past and while most of them worked "flawlessly", others gone horribly wrong. So, I don't bother with visuals anymore. A good wallpaper and a Microsoft-approved theme (Zune for example) is all I do. If I want to hack the GUI, I do it in Linux which is really designed to be "hacked"
    Following this philosophy, installing a filter driver which will redirect calls done to the filesystem and work at the sector level is nothing short of a big risk to me.

8. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

count me on that,terabyte stuff is rocksolid but not like speedwagons as is SP which is a real speedwagon and rocksolid too !

I have both but in every aspect SP is better,thats simple.

For simplicity i use only the recovery CD.
    On my new notebook i do it twice a week cause sadly there's no FDISR left,only backup to restore is now SP but its almost as fast as good old FDISR.

9. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

hi all

welp, actually i look on EF like advence DF or SD .its can rollback when u decide to...the big difference is EF is working on the real HD when SD or DF on the virtual one , make it much more solid to any unexpected shutdown .

anyway using EF cant be hundle by lets call it "simply secretary " duo to its strong recovring method which earse the current system by previously older snapshot

cheers:)

10. Chris12923

Is Rollback/EZ-Fix not rock solid at this point? Is there issues you have been hearing about? I have not heard of any issues since the latest release.

I assume when you say you don't like to fiddle with you inner workings that means you have no antivirus/antimalware installed? No other type of software that does anything that messes with windows? or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Chris

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Chris

Are you completely satisfied with the latest version of RollbackRx? Could you point out any of the improvements for us you now experience or were they mainly just bug fixes?

And what if anything do you caution against doing or adding of application for other RollbackRx users they could take into consideration to keep from any sudden unexpected issues, like third party tools/security apps etc.

Thanks EASTER

12. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi Chris12923,

I was wondering, when doing beta testing software, with Rollback Rx aboard and you got a BSOD, generally the support of that beta software ask the user to send them the minidump, the only problem is that Rollback doesn't allow the system to make minidump so what do you do in those circunstance?

If I am not mistaking the marketing of Rollback says that it is good for beta testing software (wich I agreed) but since it doesn't allow the system to write minidump there is no way to send minidump to help those compagny to rectifie the problem in there beta software...

Thanks,
    Atomas31

13. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I did buy FD-ISR but could never find much use for it. I can make an image of C: in about 50 seconds with restore taking a bit longer. As I have to have system images I feel that so long as they don't take too long to make and restore there is no need for yet another program. I tend to run a number of machines with a minimalist approach and each machine being set up for a specific purpose.

defrag issues, activation etc do not make me inclined to change

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

On the point of number of machines, each one set up for different purposes, i fully understand where you're coming from and what your faced with.

On top of that there are literally stacks of security programs scattered about and i'm always jockying them in various combinations always trying to attain that ideal set up.

EAZ-FIX on the other hand is now been the ONLY next best ISR for me, second only to, dare i say Classic FD-ISR which is more than proven itself over time and still does, and likely always will.

As to what keeps people from turning to either app at the head of this subject in Topic, i would venture a wild guess that DEEP FREEZE, SandboxIE, Returnil, and others are well within both their means and satisfaction enough not to really need either one of the two mentioned.

15. lucas1985

Well, the latest iterations of RollbackRX seem very solid, but I still have my doubts. OTOH, RollbackRX/Eaz-Fix has its shortcomings:
    - Imaging.
    - Multi-boot.
    - Activation.
    - Defragging.
    - Linked (not independant) snapshots.
    Correct, I have no antivirus nor antimalware "installed" (just a couple of CLI scanners). I tend to limit the number of kernel drivers to the bare minimum, specially those related to security software (only a firewall and a sandbox here) and those which play with the filesystem.

16. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Lucas,You have your successful method of running your system,but in practice ,none of the issues listed are significant.
    The only one which I have doubts about is defragging-the recommended method is carry out a proper one before installing RBx/EF,then RBx will itself perform them satisfactorily,on the basis that only the RBx images will thereafter need it,which makes sense.
    As regards multibooting,any problems in this regard would equally apply to any ISR which boots from the MBR and in practice there are usually ways to work around this.
    In the 8 years I have been using RBx on and off,never had any activation problems.There always seems to be someone complaining about this for different software,but on examination it generally turns out not to be a real issue at all.

Like all snapshot apps,a baseline is required,then "incrementals" are shot,with the date etc marked,or you can collapse all into the baseline or you can delete and have only one incremental.Whats wrong with that?

The imaging in my opinion should have been developed further before being added to what is essentially an ISR,not an imager.
    You are getting the imaging as a bonus,but at the moment its hardly that.
    In any case its only an add on and not needed.

edit; see thread "GAG - Multi-boot application ",a new software app which can be used with EF/RB,for multibooting different OS

Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  17. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Easter,as a matter of interest ,are you running both EF and FDISR together?

18. Chris12923

Lets say you install software and it you get BSOD. If you have rollback set to always take snapshot of current system before rollback then you can explore the image in rollback and get the minidump if you choose.

19. Long View

Long View Registered Member

can eazfix be used on a machine with Deepfreeze, Returnil, type programs ?

can it be deactivated on machine "A" so as to allow installation on machine "B" ?

20. Chris12923

from what i remember with deepfreeze yes but don't quote me as for returnil yes in my case it worked good when trying it with rollback.

Thanks,

Chris

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I am using it with SafeSpace which is a virtual product, but yours is a good question. I would think as long as your snapshots were taking out of any shadow mode you would be ok.

22. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

How can you make that since Rollback doesn't allow the system to write minidump? Even if you explore the image you will find no minidump since Rollback Rx doesn't allow the system to write any...

23. Chris12923

hmm let me check this out when I get back home.

Thanks,

Chris

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Using SafeSpace and enclosing my web browser and Vista email. Any emails I receive are lost on a purge. With EAZ-FIX after I have received some that I need to keep, I just take a snapshot and save it. Even though the email is in SafeSpaces virtual world, it saves it when I roll back to that snap shot. Works flawlessly and takes about 20 seconds to complete. This way no AV Mom.;)

25. QQ2595

QQ2595 Registered Member

The snapshot of rollback/eazfix is not a real backup image of the system. One child snapshot only records the changes from the parent snapshot. That is why it said it can create more than thousand snapshots.

anyway, any damge(bypass disk level like Robot Dog) to the basic system will crash all snapshots. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.