What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Still KIS 2012

2. Sordid

Sordid Registered Member

Testing MSE4.

3. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

ZoneAlarm Security Suite 10 beta Free:thumb:

4. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Hello everyone, I am new to Wilders Security Forums, but found it quite a useful place to be. I want to go ahead and share my security setup....Tell me how well it is, please.

Real-Time Protection:
    Panda Cloud Antivirus FREE
    Sandboxie

On-Demand Protection:
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware FREE
    Emsisoft Anti-Malware FREE

Passive Protection:
    SpywareBlaster

Does this seem like a pretty solid security setup to you? Your input will be much appreciated.....

Thanks

P.S. My security setup is pretty light on resources too, I am running about 28 processes and only using about 13% of my RAM while idle. I am running this on Windows 7 as well. I have tweaked down a lot of services to get my processes down to the way it is now, not only for security purposes, but for the nice performance gains.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  5. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Looks good to me, Radeon0101. The first 4 programs are some of the favorites here, not sure if SpywareBlaster is still useful, someone else will have to comment on that. You could add HitmanPro and a system imaging program.

6. Tyrizian

@justenough - Thank you for your quick response, I appreciate it. If SpywareBlaster isn't useful anymore, do you know of a better passive solution? I know Spybot uses Passive Protection, would you find that a bit better?. Hmmm, I heard of HitmanPro, and have seen lots of positive results by watching a lot of YouTube videos on it. I might check out Macrium Reflect Free for my imaging software, I heard that was good. You have been a big help, and yet again...I appreciate the quick response.

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

and you are done.......

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

spybot is bad idea :thumbd:.....you are better off without it trust me.......what browser are you using?.....

9. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Internet Security:
    Webroot SecureAnywhere Essentials
    Emsisoft Antimalware

Firewall:
    Webroot SecureAnywhere firewall + Online Armour Premium

Sandboxing/Isolating Software:
    Sandboxie Paid

Antimalware:
    Malwarebytes Antimalware PRO

Antispyware:
    SUPERAntiSpyware PRO

AntiLogger:
    Zemana AntiLogger

On-Demand:
    Hitman Pro Paid

Browser:
    Firefox

add-ons:
    adblock plus(malware domains, fanboy's ultimate list)
    WOT
    bitdefender quickscan
    betterprivacy
    lastpass
    trafficlight
    quickwiki

Internet Explorer

smartscreen
    quick heal dna scan

Update:
    Secunia PSI

Junk Cleaning/optimizing:
    Ccleaner
    Defraggler

Password Manager:
    LastPass Free

Data Encryption:
    EgisTec MyWinlocker 4

File Shredder:
    Egistec Files Shredder

Online Backup:
    Windows Skydrive
    Webroot Backup & Sync

OS Backup:
    Keriver 1-Click Restore Free

Portable:
    Dr. Web CureIt
    AVZ antiviral toolkit
    Emsisoft emergency kit
    Superantispyware
    Tdssiller
    F-secure easyclean
    Bytehero
    Norton power eraser
    Remotedll

Secure DNS Services:
    norton dns-198.153.192.60 and 198.153.194.60
    comodo secure dns-8.26.56.26 and 8.20.247.20

10. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I just converted from IE9 to google Crome.I was a little lost as first but finding my way quickly through the settings.Just added a cool theme and got my book marks set.I also through AdBlock on for good measures.

11. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

good going D.....adblock for chrome is in beta right?...I was really enjoying chrome but it was eating a lot of ram.....especially when opening multiple tabs....in task manager it would show 3 or 5 chrome using 100+ ram each.....also there is controversy over using sbie on chrome as chrome has built in sandbox and sbie could fall vulnerable and in turn opening the path for chrome exploitation.....anyways, do you know if IE can be uninstalled or not? will there be any problem?...I'm talking exclusively of IE8....since my older system xp cannot get IE9 I was wondering if IE8 could be removed....then I would happily use firefox or chrome......

12. Dark Shadow

I dont think IE can be removed entirely, I believe it will revert back to older versions but I may be wrong.As Far as sandboxie goes, I am not currentlly using it,Just whats in my sig is my only and current setup.

I never had problems with IE 8 or 9 as far as security goes,I have been just as safe on them as with firefox that I used to love and use but had since lost interest with newer version.

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

ah! I see....:)

14. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

I have not tried but think could remove IE completely.

In XP Add/Remove, there is an option to remove windows components. Clicking on it gives you the option to remove windows components, IE is also there.

You could give it a try.

15. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I am asking if you guys tried to remove it or not is because when I tried to remove/uninstall windows media player using add/remove media player stayed on.......but could not use it....that is upon clicking media player it would say could not open....but it occupied disk space and would show up both in all programs and in add/remove......and I am not gonna take another hassle in removing ie without sufficient experiences from you guys....

16. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

Did you tried uninstalling with add/remove windows components?

I had tried once removing IE, WMP & MSN with add/remove windows components. I dont remember clearly but I think all these were removed from the system but few folders will still there in program files relating to these programs & they were giving error when tried deleting those folders.

17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Tzuk has recently stated (as noted by justenough here), "You can use Process Explorer to see that the security context of Chrome processes is the same whether running inside or outside the sandbox."

m00nbl00d posted, "That seems to be the case! I downloaded the most recent stable version, and then ran it in a sandbox, and according to Process Explorer, the renderer processes do run at low integrity level. :thumb: "

Personally, I go along with what chris1341 said in that same thread... "Properly configured SBIE makes up for any loss associated with diluting the Chrome sandbox through raising integrity levels IMO."

Kees1958 added, "Yeah, congratulations on Tzuk and Sandboxie. IMO this raised the bar for malware to come through (dealing with low rights, SBIE and UAC)".

FWIW & HTH :cool:

18. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

As far as I am concerned, I don't really care whether or not it supports these programs (Adobe Reader X, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome) sandboxes.

But, if I had to pick between having a relative using a properly configured sandbox, which was one of the reasons why they no longer wanted Sandboxie :( , and a somewhat more loose sandbox, but with these programs own sandboxes still intact, then I'd pick the second option. No choice here.

That said, and it's something I mentioned in the other thread, and also posted a screenshot, the latest Adobe Reader X version 10.1.3 (I believe that's it), no longer works in Protected Mode, if you run it in Sandboxie. Of course, for those using Windows XP it doesn't matter. But, for those running Windows Vista and 7, for sure it would be great to couple both sandboxes, especially when facing a situation such as the one I faced with my relatives.

For now, they're only running the web browser's and reader's own sandboxes. They're fine. No infections. They do home banking, and still haven't lost any money. :D

But, hopefully, in a near future, Sandboxie's developer will rework it, so that Sandboxie mirrors integrity levels into the sandboxes. This should take care of things, and it wouldn't make him patch Sandboxie every time an upgrade to these other programs comes up and breaks things all over again. :thumb:

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

dave are you running Faronics Anti-Excutable and AppGuard at same time?

20. Dark Shadow

Sure am,I just Put AE in the power Apps of Appguard to be sure there is no conflicks.

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

man double layer very strong aproach :thumb: very hard to break:)

22. Dark Shadow

A multi step process for me as well.

First I have to lower AppGuard if I want to install then after prompt by AE to allow or deny a password is required for each and every prompt.A double or triple guard if you count the password needed for AE.

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

very secure:thumb:

24. modano

modano Registered Member

Added some stuff :D

25. Tyrizian

I switched to Maxthon just recently. Firefox was my choice of browser, but I still think it needs a bit more time to mature, at least compared to other browsers. I know Google Chrome is the ideal browser to use (At least what most people have said), But I just don't like Google.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.