What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. loquitur

loquitur Registered Member

Clamwin is one of the poorest AVs out there (probably the poorest) and you should switch to something like Avast! or Avira as a matter of urgency.

You could consider switching to Google Chrome which is probably the most secure browser. By doing so you could dispense with NoScript which, while excellent, is a very intrusive option.

2. addi6584

addi6584 Registered Member

my setup is pretty basic.

*nix firewall + NAT
    *nix servers run windows virtual machines

no virus protection

havent had a virus or malware problem since early 2000s

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  3. loquitur

How do you know?

4. addi6584

bc the once a quarter i run a scan on the win machines they return nothing. prior to deleting cookies upon exit in browsers, the scans would just return tracking cookies which are not malware/viruses. Additionally, i don't have any performance issues w the win machines for 2 reasons, 1, no malware 2, they are all virtual machines and win runs better in a vm than standalone.

i dont run anything in the background as far as virus/malware software on the win machines bc the trade off between resource overhead vs utility doesnt make any sense in my case.

5. loquitur

The trade-off would be absolutely neglible, you wouldn't notice anything different with an AV installed. Equally, any performance boost from running Windows as a VM (and I'd query whether there actually is one as opposed to a performance hit) would be negligible as compared with running it on the same base hardware.

6. addi6584

To each their own. Regular people probably should use anti virus.

I have no use for it.

Not even close my friend :D

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

went back to my powerfull security set up software restriction like program lockdown my system with just a mouse click:thumb:
    hitman pro is here to confir my system is clean:thumb:
    emsisoft antimalware is good and also online armor will use it in case of emergency:)

8. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

LOL J.. You change your setup alot but then again you have a ton of pcs :D

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

10. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Wow J. Thats a lot of pcs to maintain my friend. :ouch: :D

11. Lanny1276

Lanny1276 Registered Member

Thanx for the headsup about clamwin. The worst AV I have ever used is MS security essentials, never ever detected a thing. One thing I did like about clamwin was that it was a truly portable app.

12. Lanny1276

Lanny1276 Registered Member

..from a privacy standpoint, I just don't trust Google, including their search engine....have used chrome though, and it is def faster than firefox.

13. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Added KBSSLEnforcer extension. Added ScriptNo back.

ScriptNo is blocking <IFRAME> <FRAME> <APPLET> <NOSCRIPT> tags

Blocking cookies.
    Unwanted Content Mode: Strict
    Antisocial Mode: On
    Remove Webbugs: On
    Block Click-Through referrer: On
    Referrer Spoof: Same document

14. Senlac_Hill

Senlac_Hill Registered Member

Running Avast! AV ver. 6
    Comodo Firewall
    SpywareBlaster

Also: I hope it's ok that I run a quick question by you good folks here at Wilders... :cool:

I Just read: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1984340&postcount=20747 posted by EscapeVelocity..... Should it be a good practice to run PeerBlock when working with these Torrent Files and if so, what about regular DL's ?? o_O

15. loquitur

There are various ways to stop Google from gathering data on you. First, you can set Google Chrome not send information back to Google. Second, you could install the free Ghostery addon for Chrome that will block tracking cookies and tracked elements on webpages (Google included). Third, you can change your default search to another provider such as Yahoo! or, if you're very concerned about privacy (and not just Google), DuckDuckGo.

Once you do this, and it really is very simple, you'll have a browser that is very private and very secure.

16. loquitur

MSE gets a lot of positive coverage in the press, but most of these stories just discuss how 'light' and 'simple' the software is - not how effective it is. In independent tests MSE doesn't do that well and, given that there are better free alternatives, shouldn't be relied upon.

I'm a fan of Avast! as a free option although on my PC I use Norton which I believe to be one of the strongest AVs available.

The ClamAV project is admirable, but it's just not effective and effectiveness should be the criteria upon which an AV program is judged!

17. loquitur

I'm very much against P2P downloading, but PB doesn't hurt as a security tool more generally. However, you need to be aware of its limitations - it blocks only known 'bad' IP ranges. It does nothing against unknown 'bad' IP ranges which are bound to exist. It also, if you rely on some of its filters, blocks a huge range of websites so you should either disable it when you're not using it or else set it up so that it doesn't filter HTTP traffic. I use it on my system not for P2P, but because it blocks ads, tracking and exploits - subject of course to my comment above that it is a 'reactive' rather than 'proactive' piece of software. It, along with a decent HOSTS file (which blocks based on domains rather than IPs), gives you a pretty clean web-surfing experience.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

back to Emsisoft Anti-Malware 6.0;) :thumb:

19. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Just for fun I install different combos on other family member's computers to try them out and will post them now. Tell me what you think:

All - Norton DNS (in the router), Malwarebytes Free

Stepdad's (Win 7 x64)- Avast! 6 Free, ZoneAlarm Free (I've told him about other programs but I don't want to pester him about adding more)

Spare comp (Win XP) - Avast! 6 Free, ZoneAlarm Free

Mom's (Win Vista x32)- Panda Cloud Free, Spyshelter Free, GeSWall Free, HitmanPro Free

My brother's (Win 7 x64) - Avira Free, Comodo FW with Def+ untrusted processes set to Restricted and sandboxing off, Comodo Dragon browser with AdBlock Plus beta

Mine (Win 7 x64)- See signature

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  20. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

DefenseWall 3.17

Shadow Defender 1.1.0.325

Macrium Reflect 4.2

System Explorer ~ AdMuncher ~ OpenDNS ~ Opera

Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  21. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

1.)Avira Antivirus Premium 2012 [mail protection,web protection not installed]

2.)FireFox
    2.a)addons: Https Everywhere, HTTPS Finder, Ad-Blocker 'Easy List'

3.)Comodo's free firewall [Defense+ disabled, sandbox disabled]

4.)Open DNS [router]

5.)Malwarebytes on demand

*puppy*

22. Senlac_Hill

Senlac_Hill Registered Member

Loquitur !!!

Thanks Alot for your reply !! I haven't used any p2p services, clients or whatever to date but I'm gonna have a look at "Peerblock" as it does seem to carry some decent uses...

Once again, Thanks !!

23. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

Returned to Panda Cloud. Light, fast, strong, and most importantly efficient! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

24. ichito

ichito Registered Member

OA Free + Mamutu + Avast Free switched to
    OA Premium (as always with Run Safer mode for some apps) and Mamutu
    on demand - MBAM Emsisoft EK, WTF
    browser - Firefox with AdBlock, NoScript, BetterPrivacy

25. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

People running VIPRE, can you tell me what's the version you have installed?
    Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.