What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. moredhelfinland

moredhelfinland Registered Member

My firewall (eset) blocked an hidden icmp traffic. Caused by technique some softwarares like Revo uninstaller. So, can firewalls that relys on the basic windows firewall prevent this? Prolly not.

2. Aser Transformer Home 32 bits Windows 8.1:

1. Windows Firewall 2-way, disabled risk-ware, using Norton ConnectSafe DNS
    2. UAC set to block elevation of unsigned (still allows unsigned pograms to run)
    3. Standard user with parental control and administrator consent for Smartscreen
    4. ACL Deny execute in Download folders and microSD+USB (USB disk Manager)
    5. Disabled IE+WMP and macro's+plug-ins+active-X in Microsoft Office
    6. Hardened Chrome by using options in settings and about flags:
    • Disable javascript except from [*.]nl, [*.]com and HTTPS:/*:443
    • Clik to play plugins, same allow exceptions as javascript
    • Enabled 3p-scripts block via document write
    • Enabled Win32 Lockdown for all plug-ins
    • Enabled AppContainer Sandbox
    • Enabled (safe browsing) permission blacklist
    • Enabled extension content verification (strict)
    • Enabled User consent for extension scripts
    • Enabled reduce referrer granularity
    • Disable hyperlink auditing
    • Enabled do not track
    • Block 3-p cookies
    7. Chrome extensions: Blank New Tab, Web RTC block, Avast internet security with tracker blocking

I am only maintaining Chrome options and updating extensions on this parental controlled standard user sertup. I hope Avast extension benefits from the AVG Linkscanner data base soon, that is why I am trailing Avast extension now.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2016
  3. Replaced by Re:HIPS and that might be permanent when Re:Hips is as good in practice as their concept is described in theory. In theory Re:Hips is GeSwall on steroids with an Anti-Executable included, with the advantage that the OS itself now contains a sandbox and policy containers. So probably AppGuard and maybe VoodooShield will go next (VS has AI-engine which is Cylance like machine learning, so VS might stay on board). But only @guest can tell us that :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2016
  4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Avira Pro (sadly with the launcher now) and MBAM Pro.

5. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Why do you prefer AdGuard AdBlocker instead of µBlock? Just curious.

6. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Still happy with my config in sig :cool:

7. They are very close in performance now (Adguard Chrome start's a bit faster). AdGuard's filters were more polished and more compact in case of antispyware filterset (but that is irrelevant now Adguard's filters can be used and GorHill uAssets started the organization to polish the filters). Adguard had some extra features over Adblock clones (but that is irrelevant now since Adguard also implemented CSS injection rules from version 1.7.7). So technically there are no more reasons to value the one over the other now.

GorHill develops uBlockOrigin as a hobby for his own requirements, where as Adguard developers tend to listen more to user questions/reqquests. Eg. When you look at uBlock and uMatrix they have different options for privacy protection, GorHill never reacted to the suggestion to implement uMatrix features also in uBlock, while the developers of Adguard welcomed suggestions for Stealth mode (extension they use to test Adguard improvements releated to privacy, but Stealth mode features will be implemented in Adguard eventually).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2016
  8. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

We already discussed ReHips in this thread some posts above. It uses OS restriction mechanisms, including anti-exec features and sandboxing. That's why it must be light and strong in spheres it covers.

Only one thing weren't pronounced clearly. Does it cover all sensitive areas as e.g. Comodo HIPS or any other "routine" HIPS? Does it offer registry protection for instance?

Thank you.

9. guest

guest Guest

One thing people must understand with ReHIPS is that it isolate each apps via an Isolated Environment materialized by a "Virtual Desktop" (except browsers); each IE functioning like a tighten SUA account, with its own username and access rights.

about Keylogging, registry protection and isolation:

10. guest

guest Guest

yes ReHIPS will permanently stay on my machine, it is what i looked for since Geswall's death, Comodo was near but too many hassles and bugs. indeed,

VS is still useful on my machine, it gives me a backup in case ReHIPS fail against something, also the AI + VT thingy is appreciated. I also keep Adguard because it does an awesome job in blocking ads (and it has some anti-malware filters).

The one i could remove would be HMPA but i like its other features (encryption, etc...).

so basically my baseline security is ReHIPS + VS + HMPA; i consider Adguard more like a comfort tool when browsing.

im waiting the next build of Appguard and Smart Object Blocker to see if some improvements have been made.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2016
  11. @guest Sorry confused AdGuard with AppGuard, my bad

12. Solarlynx

@guest , thank you very much.

So do I understand correctly that actually Rehips covers all those sensitive areas through isolation of all threatgates. Malicious process can be started only from the spaces which is already isolated by Rehips that's why it just cannot read or manipulate registry or sensitive data or somehow compromise the system.

But if the user start a process which is malicious and which is not isolated then Rehips doesn't see dangerous actions of this process and cannot protect registry or sensitive data. Is it right?

As I understand "common" hips (in corresponding mode) can watch processes and ask the user if to allow dangerous actions. Like Comodo hips in Safe or Paranoid mode e.g.

Thank you.

13. vinylmeister

vinylmeister Registered Member

Here is my current slim setup on Win10 Pro:

Eset NOD32
    Windows Firewall Control
    Zemana AntiMalware (on demand)
    Avira Browser Safety

14. guest

guest Guest

Then you will have the HIPS asking if you want run the process or isolate him. The HIPS always kicks-in first unless a rule was already set for the apps/process.

btw, we can continue our discussion in the REHIPS thread ^^

15. guest

guest Guest

no problemo ;)

16. Stelica

Stelica Registered Member

Windows XP Pro:
    Shadow Defender
    Sandboxie
    WinPatrol
    Look 'n' Stop firewall

On demand:

Zemana anti-malware premium (portable)
    Malwarebytes anti-malware free

17. ichito

ichito Registered Member

On my Vista...a bit experimental and quite useful...I think :)
    real-time: Privatefirewall and EdgeGuard Solo
    on-demand: Shadow Defender, Crystal Security, EEK

18. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Aug. 2, 2016 - Updated, Added, Removed

Network
    • Two Netgear Nighthawk R7000-100PAS Routers (Stock Firmware)
    • Four Netgear PowerLine AV 500 Adapters
    • Wired Cat5e Connection between both Routers
    • WPA2-PSK AES Encryption
    • SPI & NAT Firewalls Enabled
    • OpenDNS Configuration
    Computers
    • Desktop (Custom Built) - Windows 10 Pro x64 Ver. 1151 Built 10586
    • Tablet (Surface Pro 4) - Windows 10 Pro x64 Ver. 1151 Built 10586
    Built-In Security
    • USER ACCOUNT CONTROL: HIGHEST SETTING
    • WINDOWS SMART SCREEN: ENABLED
    • WINDOWS DEFENDER: DISABLED
    • WINDOWS FIREWALL: DISABLED
    Resident
    • Emsisoft Internet Security 11.10.0.6563 (Paid)
    • Sandboxie 5.13.3 Beta (Paid) - Sandboxie Container Folder on RAMDisk
    • Adguard Premium 6.1.250.1247 Beta (Paid)
    • KeyScrambler 3.10
    • DNSCrypt 0.0.6 - HTTPS Enabled
    On-Demand
    • PeerBlock 1.2 (P2P Blocking List)
    • Macrium Reflect Home Edition 6.1.1366* (Paid)
    • VMWare Workstation 12.1.1 build-3770994** (Paid)
    Browser, Immunization, Tweaks
    • Chrome 51.0.2704.106 m x64 (HTTPS-Everywhere, Gmelius Premium, Lastpass Premium) - Chrome Profile Folder on RAMDisk and Sandboxed
    • Homepage and Search Providers set to Startpage (Chrome)
    • Cleaner Professional Edition 5.20.5668 (Paid)
    • Spyware Blaster 5.5 (All Protection Enabled + Customblocking.txt)
    • CryptoPrevent Premiium Edition 7.4.20 (Paid)
    *Macrium Reflect Home Edition installed in both Desktop & Tablet - Backup Template: Deferential Backup Set
    **VMware Workstation only installed on Desktop

dja2k

19. Asus Transformer Windows 8.1 Home edition 32 bits
    • Enabled WFW two-way, disabled riskware (remote, syncing, sharing services)
    • Only allow signed executables to elevate and signed (power) scripts to run
    • Control execution with Smartscreen and SRP basic user (allow admin)
    • Running all internet facing in AppContainer, including Chromium
    • Norton DNS, Google Safe Browsing and Avast Web-filters
    • ACL deny user autoruns and internet folders
    • Protected processes with MemProtect
    • Disabled legacy (16bit, IE, WMP)
    100% protection using Windows build-in security? :cautious:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2016
  20. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Did you mean 99,999% protection? ;)

21. Reason for stacking up different Windows protection mechanisms is threefold:
    1. Maintaining system integrity and compatibility (allow signed) and admin functionality (easy update/install with 'run as admin') reduce the attack surface, but still have dedicated doors for ease of use.

2. Windows build in mechanisms have near zero impact on system performance and resources, allowing to stack them to obfuscate these 'ease of use' doors and build additional defense walls (layers) behind those doors.

3. Stacking different mechanism does accomplish a maze effect. As with a maze, there is a way in, but it is not straight forward. It is specific for my PC and you have to find this way in by trail and error.
    This setup will ultimately break when attacked by a dedicated hacker. Since there is no bug bounty involved or high profit to be gained, the chances of becoming a victim of a targeted attack is zero. That is why I boldly stated 100% protection.

For example MemProtect using Windows protected processes feature, passes all exploit test of HitmanProAlert and since I use it (March this year), required no updates and gave no issues. Simple Basic User deny execute in user folders (and deny execute/write ACL for user autoruns), protects against all ransomware in the wild without updates, setup changes or compatibility issues.

I agree that 100% security is not possible, so I editted the post and added a question mark: 100% protection using Windows build-in security?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2016
  22. bberkey1

bberkey1 Registered Member

I used to love spyware blaster, but the custom blocking list I used to incorporate came from a blogsite that has since long disappeared. May I ask where or how you compiled your custom list?

23. Solarlynx

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
    Standard User Account
    User Account Control - max, with password

Windows 10 Firewall Control (SphinxSoftware) (this "Windows 10" is rather misleading though can't they make it other way?)

VoodooShield 3.30 in Smart mode :thumb:

Zemana AntiLogger Pro (it includes Zemana Antimalware) :cool:

MalwareBytes AntiExploit with additional shields for some routine apps :cool:

The setup seems to be light on my PC.

24. Well, agree it is a nice example of thinking out of the box: How did you get a license for EdgeGuard?

25. Eru

Eru Registered Member

Realtime: SpyShleter Firewall
    Web browser: Chrome + Ghostery + Adblock
    Password Manager: LastPass Premium

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.